    I would be very grateful for any suggestions or links.

    cheers
    HP

    HP, Mar 8, 2007

  2. HP

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-03-08, HP <> wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > It's a rather uncommon setup, hence my question to the experts over
    > here:
    >
    > The client wants a fixed height layout with text in the center and
    > optional images on both sides. Images should be scaled to height so
    > their width can vary de/increasing widht of center colum with text.

    How much text in the centre? Enough that it starts wrapping, or just a
    couple of words?

    If it starts wrapping, then how do you want the width that it wraps to
    defined?

    > Total width should be fixed, but if liquid would be easier, then it's
    > all right.
    >
    > I would be very grateful for any suggestions or links.

    Are the images the sort that would work tiled rather than scaled? And do
    you mean the images should always occupy the full height, but only
    enough width to fit either side of the text in the middle?

    Ben C, Mar 8, 2007

  3. HP

    HP Guest

    > > The client wants a fixed height layout with text in the center and
    > > optional images on both sides. Images should be scaled to height so
    > > their width can vary de/increasing widht of center colum with text.

    > How much text in the centre? Enough that it starts wrapping, or just a
    > couple of words?
    >
    > If it starts wrapping, then how do you want the width that it wraps to
    > defined?

    The text would me main site content, so there would be wrapping. The
    wrapping width would be the possible: total width of layout (fixed)
    minus the width of side images

    > Are the images the sort that would work tiled rather than scaled? And do
    > you mean the images should always occupy the full height, but only
    > enough width to fit either side of the text in the middle?

    Not tiled, thay would be typical we-are-dynamic-modern-and-good-
    looking-company kind of pictures (aeroplane on the left, woman wearing
    glasses on the right etc). Their height has to be fixed since the
    whole rectangular box with image+text+image should have constant size
    on all pages.

    thank you very much
    hp

    HP, Mar 9, 2007
  4. HP

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-03-09, HP <> wrote:
    >> > The client wants a fixed height layout with text in the center and
    >> > optional images on both sides. Images should be scaled to height so
    >> > their width can vary de/increasing widht of center colum with text.

    >> How much text in the centre? Enough that it starts wrapping, or just a
    >> couple of words?
    >>
    >> If it starts wrapping, then how do you want the width that it wraps to
    >> defined?

    > The text would me main site content, so there would be wrapping. The
    > wrapping width would be the possible: total width of layout (fixed)
    > minus the width of side images
    >
    >> Are the images the sort that would work tiled rather than scaled? And do
    >> you mean the images should always occupy the full height, but only
    >> enough width to fit either side of the text in the middle?

    > Not tiled, thay would be typical we-are-dynamic-modern-and-good-
    > looking-company kind of pictures (aeroplane on the left, woman wearing
    > glasses on the right etc).

    LOL, I know the kind of thing. Since you mentioned <br> before, I'm
    guessing you've got two or three images either side that need to be
    spaced out to fit into the given height. You presumably don't want to
    stretch the images or they'll look quite distorted.

    The easiest way to do that is going to be with tables. If you've got
    three images and a given amount of height to space them out into, a
    table with that height set on it and each image in its own row will
    space them out evenly.

    Otherwise it's fiddly. If you know the height of each image, you can
    make them display: block and set bottom or top margins on them, but
    you'd need to work out the heights those margins would need to be
    yourself based on the heights of the images.

    Ben C, Mar 9, 2007