    Is there a way to disable all popups programatically with a dll or
    registry setting?
    , Sep 2, 2007

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > Is there a way to disable all popups programatically with a dll or
    > registry setting?

    Download a good browser, Opera does this on the fly.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Sep 2, 2007

  3. J.O. Aho Guest

    wrote:
    > Is there a way to disable all popups programatically with a dll or
    > registry setting?

    Enable the pop-up blocker in your browser, of course there are new ways
    developed to get around pop-up blockers.

    If you aren't happy with Firefox, you can try out SeaMonkey, Safir, Opera,
    Konqueror, Galeon, Epiphany and a load of text based like elinks, links and
    lynx, none of those text based will allow pop-ups.

    Of course there are a load of browsers like Avant, which just a new GUI for
    the MSIE, but of security reasons I would advice you to not touch those.

    --

    //Aho
    J.O. Aho, Sep 2, 2007
  4. wrote:
    > Is there a way to disable all popups programatically with a dll or
    > registry setting?

    No, I know of no universal cure.

    What specific kind of pop-ups are you seeing? There are at least
    three varieties of pop-ups, and the solutions vary accordingly.

    1) Does the title bar of these pop-ups read "Messenger Service?"

    This type of spam has become quite common over the past few years,
    and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It demonstrates
    that the computer user hasn't been taking sufficient precautions while
    connected to the Internet. The user's data probably hasn't been
    compromised by these specific advertisements, but if he/she's open to
    this exploit, he/she may well be open to other threats, such as the
    Blaster Worm that swept across the Internet years ago and the Sasser
    Worm that followed shortly thereafter, both of which can still be
    contacted. Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall.
    (Merely disabling the messenger service, as some people recommend, only
    hides the symptom, and does little or nothing to truly secure the
    machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" the security gap
    represented by these messages is particularly foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise the user to do
    nothing more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the
    messenger service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to
    computer security. The real problem is not the messenger service
    pop-ups; they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by
    acting as a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer,
    and the user's been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is
    this helpful?

    2) For regular Internet pop-ups, you might try the free 12Ghosts
    Popup-killer from http://12ghosts.com/ghosts/popup.htm, Pop-Up Stopper
    from http://www.panicware.com/, or the Google Toolbar from
    http://toolbar.google.com/. Alternatively, you can upgrade your WinXP
    to SP2, to install IE's pop-up blocker. Another alternative would be
    to use another browser, such as Mozilla or Firefox, which has pop-up
    blocking capabilities. (But I'd avoid Netscape; it carries too much
    extraneous AOL garbage.)

    3) To deal with pop-ups caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
    "spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Xupiter, Bonzai Buddy, or
    KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but without
    understanding the consequences) installed, two products that are
    quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
    Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
    www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even
    possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system
    against most future intrusions. I use both and generally perform
    manual scans every week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

    Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
    varieties of scumware are available here:

    PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
    http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

    More information and assistance is available at these sites:

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    The Parasite Fight
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Neither adware nor spyware, collectively known as scumware,
    magically install themselves on anyone's computer. They are almost
    always deliberately installed by the computer's user, as part of some
    allegedly "free" service or product.

    While there are some unscrupulous malware distributors out there,
    who do attempt to install and exploit malware without consent, the
    majority of them simply rely upon the intellectual laziness and
    gullibility of the average consumer, counting on them to quickly click
    past the EULA in his/her haste to get the latest in "free" cutesy
    cursors, screensavers, "utilities," and/or wallpapers.

    If you were to read the EULAs that accompany, and to which the
    computer user must agree before the download/installation of the
    "screensaver" continues, most adware and spyware, you'll find that
    they _do_ have the consumer's permission to do exactly what they're
    doing. In the overwhelming majority of cases, computer users have no
    one to blame but themselves.

    There are several essential components to computer security: a
    knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
    reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
    patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

    The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
    user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
    to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
    have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
    claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
    no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
    inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
    too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
    in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
    they're about to click.

    Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
    every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

    To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    Protect Your PC

    Home Computer Security
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

    Home PC Firewall Guide
    http://www.firewallguide.com/

    Scumware.com
    http://www.scumware.com/

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Sep 2, 2007

    Thank you all for interesting responses. No, I am looking for a
    simple integratable programmatic way, to stop just Internet Explorer
    popups. I am wanting to integrate this solution however it can be
    done, simple or advanced technique, into a larger application. Thank
    you so much. :)
    , Sep 2, 2007
  6. wrote:
    > Thank you all for interesting responses. No, I am looking for a
    > simple integratable programmatic way, to stop just Internet Explorer
    > popups. I am wanting to integrate this solution however it can be
    > done, simple or advanced technique, into a larger application. Thank
    > you so much. :)

    Use Firefox or Opera ;-)

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 2, 2007

    > Use Firefox or Opera ;-)

    :) I know there has to be a better answer to my question. I am not
    talking about causal use, I am talking about programming approaches
    (code wise), to implement Internet Explorer *only* blocking within a
    Microsoft based application architecture. Either standalone code in
    any Windows compatible format like Visual Basic, or in any other MS
    compatible language will suffice. If it requires support files to
    make it work like DLL's that is OK. Thank you for your understanding.

    Have a very nice upcoming week. Thank you.
    , Sep 2, 2007
  8. wrote:
    >> Use Firefox or Opera ;-)

    > :) I know there has to be a better answer to my question. I am not
    > talking about causal use, I am talking about programming approaches
    > (code wise), to implement Internet Explorer *only* blocking within a
    > Microsoft based application architecture. Either standalone code in
    > any Windows compatible format like Visual Basic, or in any other MS
    > compatible language will suffice. If it requires support files to
    > make it work like DLL's that is OK. Thank you for your understanding.

    so there are still people out there developping something for IE6.0?
    amazing... It's a bit like riding on Titanic after she hit the iceberg
    while cleaning up the kitchen.

    cheers
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Sep 2, 2007
  9. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Bernhard Sturm
    <> writing in news:fbf6gp$5fj$:

    > so there are still people out there developping something for IE6.0?
    > amazing... It's a bit like riding on Titanic after she hit the iceberg
    > while cleaning up the kitchen.

    No, it's more like cleaning up the Titanic's kitchen once she hit the
    iceberg.

    Adrienne Boswell, Sep 2, 2007
  10. Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Bernhard Sturm
    > <> writing in news:fbf6gp$5fj$:
    >
    >> so there are still people out there developping something for IE6.0?
    >> amazing... It's a bit like riding on Titanic after she hit the iceberg
    >> while cleaning up the kitchen.
    >>

    > No, it's more like cleaning up the Titanic's kitchen once she hit the
    > iceberg.

    arrghh.. thanks... that's what I wanted to say. My English is simply
    crap. I speak English in the same way like IE blocks pop-ups.

    thanks
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Sep 2, 2007

    I didn't see a IE 7.0 newsgroup. Is there a better forum for this
    type of question?
    , Sep 2, 2007
  12. John Hosking Guest

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 22:31:13 -0000, wrote:

    > I didn't see a IE 7.0 newsgroup. Is there a better forum for this
    > type of question?

    Folks posting IE7 questions to m.p.w.i.ie6.browser are regularly pointed to
    microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general. MS made some IE6-specific
    groups, but haven't done it for IE7. Guess they don't figure this version's
    going to last. ;-)

    Have you never even read m.p.w.i.ie6.browser before posting there?

    If you don't quote the previous posts, people won't know what "this type of
    question" is. Now you have to start all over in m.p.i.general. Maybe you
    could lurk there a while first.

    --
    John
    John Hosking, Sep 3, 2007

    > If you don't quote the previous posts, people won't know what "this type of
    > question" is. Now you have to start all over in m.p.i.general. Maybe you
    > could lurk there a while first.

    Thank you that makes sense! I have expanded this thread. Hopefully
    the entire thread will catch someones eye. ;)

    Best wishes
    , Sep 3, 2007

    THANK YOU

  15. John Hosking Guest

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 23:14:43 -0000, wrote:

    [Followups set to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general]

    >> If you don't quote the previous posts, people won't know what "this type of
    >> question" is. Now you have to start all over in m.p.i.general. Maybe you
    >> could lurk there a while first.

    > Thank you that makes sense! I have expanded this thread. Hopefully
    > the entire thread will catch someones eye. ;)

    Well, you're welcome, but you haven't acheived anything by "expanding this
    thread." In fact, all you've done by adding another newsgroup to the list
    is fed your post to a new NG where nobody knows anything about your
    question. Even I don't remember what it was. ;-)

    Follow these steps:

    Do a search in microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general for your topic of
    interest.

    Lurk in microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general for a while and watch the
    discussions.

    Make a new post to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general and only that
    NG. No, wait a minute, that's too much like that nasty multi-posting that
    everybody hates. Here, I'll help you. I'm setting followups on this post to
    microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general. What you can do is go to that
    NG, reply to my post with a description of your question, and hope someone
    can satisfy your desires. I know IE7 has a popup-blocker, but that's all I
    know about it.

    GL. HTH.
    --
    John
    John Hosking, Sep 3, 2007

    You can email me privately also.

    > :) I know there has to be a better answer to my question. I am not
    > talking about causal use, I am talking about programming approaches
    > (code wise), to implement Internet Explorer *only* blocking within a
    > Microsoft based application architecture. Either standalone code in
    > any Windows compatible format like Visual Basic, or in any other MS
    > compatible language will suffice. If it requires support files to
    > make it work like DLL's that is OK. Thank you for your understanding.

    .......most of the time when there is a answer to a technical question
    where there is a definite answer like my question --- you will usually
    find someone in net groups who will be helpful.... traveled by smarter
    than yours truly, tech-gurus. I have made lots of long term
    connections this way and the sharing and collaboration is what these
    groups are part of being about. Hopefully, someone will be more than
    helpful and share specific procedures/code/examples, that will enable
    me to programatically implement my goal.

    Thank you, have a good evening.

    Rebecca.
    , Sep 3, 2007

    > Hopefully, someone will be more than helpful and share specific
    > procedures/code/examples, that will enable
    > me to programatically implement my goal.

    use FireFox or Safari you stupid bitch
    , Sep 3, 2007
  18. Unknown Guest

    There's no call for that!

    Unknown, Sep 3, 2007
  19. wrote:
    > You can email me privately also.

    Not normally how *public* newsgroups work

    >> wrote:
    >>> :) I know there has to be a better answer to my question. I am not
    >>> talking about causal use, I am talking about programming approaches
    >>> (code wise), to implement Internet Explorer *only* blocking within a
    >>> Microsoft based application architecture. Either standalone code in
    >>> any Windows compatible format like Visual Basic, or in any other MS
    >>> compatible language will suffice. If it requires support files to
    >>> make it work like DLL's that is OK. Thank you for your understanding.

    >> ......most of the time when there is a answer to a technical question
    >> where there is a definite answer like my question --- you will usually
    >> find someone in net groups who will be helpful.... traveled by smarter
    >> than yours truly, tech-gurus. I have made lots of long term
    >> connections this way and the sharing and collaboration is what these
    >> groups are part of being about. Hopefully, someone will be more than
    >> helpful and share specific procedures/code/examples, that will enable
    >> me to programatically implement my goal.

    No, there is nothing you can do with HTML to specifically help MSIE
    block popups. Anything you could could do would require an addon and
    modification of the application itself and this is not relevant to alt.html

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 4, 2007

    Please stop cross posting this non-sense. You have found a dead-end
    from your approach Rebecca. Go away.
    , Sep 4, 2007