Need for a new newsgroup? comp.lang.c++.portable.highlevel?

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Recently I posted to comp.lang.c++ asking which portable libraries to
use in C++ for:

1) Networking (e.g. sending frames, sending HTTP requests)
2) GUI (e.g. displaying windows, taking user input)

Surprisingly, there wasn't a single reply. I propose that there be a
new newsgroup, comp.lang.c++.portable.highlevel, where people can discuss
portable solutions to things like:

1) GUI
2) Networking
3) Interfacing with COM ports, USB and LPT.
4) Assimilating the application into the OS (e.g. for Windows,
sticking it in the Start Menu)
5) Playing sound and video
6) Editing pictures
7) Interfacing with a scanner, printer, or what have you

, and all in a portable way so that the resulting application can be
compiled for Linux, for Windows, for Solaris, for Mac OS. . .

The "highlevel" in the newsgroup's name means that we're dealing with
high-level platforms -- operating systems such as Windows, Linux, Mac OS,
Solaris. Also, the group could discuss issues such as where the
application should store its settings (e.g. in files, or in some sort of
system registry).

All this portable stuff is certainly do-able, because I've seen
portable programs the likes of Firefox which have a nice GUI and can do
networking, and also portable programs like Xilinx which can interface
with the computer's LPT port.

I think this newsgroup would be a great addition to Usenet.

Victor Bazarov

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
Recently I posted to comp.lang.c++ asking which portable libraries
to use in C++ for:

1) Networking (e.g. sending frames, sending HTTP requests)
2) GUI (e.g. displaying windows, taking user input)

Surprisingly, there wasn't a single reply. I propose that there be
a new newsgroup, comp.lang.c++.portable.highlevel, where people can
discuss [..]

There is an established procedure for creating new newsgroups, please
follow it.

Personally, I don't think this is necessary because all those things
are already discussed in other newsgroups. There is no need to tie
them to C++.

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Victor Bazarov:
There is an established procedure for creating new newsgroups, please
follow it.

I'll look into it. I don't suppose you'd have any good links handy?

Personally, I don't think this is necessary because all those things are
already discussed in other newsgroups. There is no need to tie them to
C++.

There _is_ a need if you're specifically programming in C++ and need C
++ libraries. There's no point in me downloading a Delphi networking
library for writing an e-mail application in C++.

Christopher Pisz

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
Victor Bazarov:

I'll look into it. I don't suppose you'd have any good links handy?

There _is_ a need if you're specifically programming in C++ and need C
++ libraries. There's no point in me downloading a Delphi networking
library for writing an e-mail application in C++.

There are even C++ specific newsgroups for all those most of those things
already in place as well.

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Christopher Pisz:
There are even C++ specific newsgroups for all those most of those
things already in place as well.

Can you point me to some of these please? I've had trouble finding any.

Alf P. Steinbach

* Tomás Ó hÉilidhe:
Victor Bazarov:

A link to Google? You _are_ aware that I could have done that myself?
Surely you're brighter than that, Victor?

I think you can't be very bright if you didn't try it, or if you did try
it and didn't find it useful.

Cheers, & hth.,

- Alf

Victor Bazarov

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
Victor Bazarov:

A link to Google? You _are_ aware that I could have done that
myself?

Absolutely. The possibility of your doing the research necessary
does exist, i.e. you _could_ have done it yourself, but you most
likely hadn't.
Surely you're brighter than that, Victor?

My brightness/dimness cannot really be established in a vacuum.
I can only shine when there is something around me to reflect the
light (however little) I give off.
If anyone would have _useful_ links for founding a new newsgroup,
I'd be appreciative. Until then I might take Victor's helpful
suggestion of trying Google.

At least your inquisitive mind should have suggested to follow the
given link _before_ replying here again. Of course, once more, I
ought to know all this were to be a waste of my time. Goes to my
*not* being as bright as needed, I guess. Oh well...

osmium

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
Christopher Pisz:

Can you point me to some of these please? I've had trouble finding any.

My guess is that he was referring to the raft of newsgroups that have
microsoft, linux, unix, and so on in their names. Portable and high-level is
pretty much of an oxymoron as far as I am concerned. But note that some of
the regulars have a pretty weird idea of what "portable" means. "Simply
install cygwin....", "It's a standard POSIX call ... ", etc.

I think one of the better ways to find newsgroups is to postulate a question
and try to find an answer via google groups. Take note of the names of the
newsgroups encountered on your search. Usenet is much more tuned to
answering specific questions than to pick up general knowledge and I think
you may be simply trying to learn.

The link may be of some use to you, the basic link I had on file and wanted
to send you is broken.

http://www.trumphurst.com/cpplibs3.html#Libraries_available_via_FTP__D_L_