Need for programming

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Mr. X, Jan 18, 2005.

  1. Mr. X

    Mr. X Guest

    Hello,

    Let me begin by saying that I am a strong advocate of science, math and
    engineering students learning to program...
    just a skill that they need to experience even if they go another path.

    So, what kind:
    The LabView kind where graphical icons are wired together?
    The MatLab kind in which programs are built using programs?
    Or the C programming kind?

    I feel the need to say the last one (justified, perhpas, by the fact that I
    do it, and I like it).

    But could someone extend a more objective or absolute (if it exists), reason
    to justify teaching C programming
    in a class, when Matlab could do the job (or even, on a simpler level,
    LabView)

    Please do not email me, I get 160 junk emails a day... Could yo post it?

    t.

    Mr. X, Jan 18, 2005

  2. Mr. X

    Vig Guest

    "Mr. X" <> wrote in message

    > Let me begin by saying that I am a strong advocate of science, math and
    > engineering students learning to program...
    > just a skill that they need to experience even if they go another path.
    >
    > So, what kind:
    > The LabView kind where graphical icons are wired together?
    > The MatLab kind in which programs are built using programs?
    > Or the C programming kind?

    I am a Mechanical engineering student @ Georgia Tech. I also teach the only
    CS course required of Engineering/Science students at our college. We teach
    them MatLab and I think it is a sufficient solution to the problem. I work
    at a software company and I personally program in the 'last" kind of
    languages, but for an engineer, knowledge of MatLab is more useful since it
    removes the nitty gritty of programming from the user's hands while
    providing them with the ability to customize their programs to their needs.
    My father is also an engineer who taught himself programming since he
    studied in an era where programs were submitted to universities as punch
    cards and results were collected 4 days later. He finds it sufficient to
    know enough programming to be able to write macros and computational blocks.
    Also, from an Engineer's perspective, OOP is seldom implementable in real
    life since we almost never have the freedom to classify parameters as
    outputs or inputs or a specific type of variable in calculations/equations
    (and that is what engineers primarily write programs for).

    As an engineer, you generally want a convenient way to write code to reduce
    the manual labour involved in doing mathematical operations. Ocassionaly you
    have an engineer writing a program to sorting a database or search trees.
    And engineers almost never code GUIs/Compilers and in general anything that
    would exceed about 500 -1000 lines of code. We have computer scientists for
    that!

    It is more important for engineers to write simple loops/ recursive
    functions / matrix manipulations/file IO and such without having to use
    linked lists/pointers/abstract classes/ calls to malloc etc... It would be
    beneficial to use their time to teach them algorithms for searching trees /
    sorting / automatons etc...Also its useful to give them basic training in
    command line operations and remote computing since almost every company uses
    netwoks etc and such

    I am saying this from personal experience of seeing engineers/scientists
    stuffed with useless knowledge (like having to write applets) while missing
    out on important stuff like signal processing or algorithms for numerical
    methods like efficient root solving methods.

    Cheers!
    -Vig

    Vig, Jan 18, 2005

  3. Mr. X

    Bonj Guest

    * Possibly greater satisfaction
    * Possibly easier to pick up / more straightforward / less arcane
    * Greater use in business / commerce / in later life / other applications in
    general
    * Better integration with other applications / hardware devices

    ?

    Maybe matlab *is* more suited to the exercises students get, but maybe
    that's because the exercises they're given are designed around matlab,
    rather than the other way round. Step back and look outside the box - and
    then go back into a different box, the C box - by designing an exercise of
    your own that's orientated around being done in C.

    Bonj, Jan 18, 2005
  4. Mr. X

    Michael Guest

    this is a fairly mute discussion.
    Matlab is good for some stuff
    C is good for other stuff.
    yes they do have a large area of intersect. Use depending on your
    application
    C i can make something do exactly what i want to do and understand
    everything, but Matlab I can visualise data really easily and perform common
    engineering functions quickly.

    Michael, Jan 19, 2005
  5. Mr. X

    xarax Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > this is a fairly mute discussion.

    You mean, MOOT discussion. moot != mute.

    /snip/

    xarax, Jan 19, 2005
  6. Mr. X

    CBFalconer Guest

    xarax wrote:
    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> this is a fairly mute discussion.

    > You mean, MOOT discussion. moot != mute.

    It was the mute mooting call of the male top-poster.

    CBFalconer, Jan 19, 2005