    successful "standard" for doing it?

    Thanks,

    Bill

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?=, Dec 10, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?=

    Karl Seguin Guest

    You presume correctly.

    A google search for "asp.net captchas" should help you find what you are
    after...
    here's one of many results you'll find:
    http://codeproject.com/aspnet/CaptchaControl.asp

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    "Bill Borg" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Not sure what to call it, but when you go to some sites, you are forced to
    > retype a graphic (looks like graffiti) password to continue. I presume

    this

    Karl Seguin, Dec 10, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?=

    darrel Guest

    It's called a 'catchpa' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

    > I presume this
    > is to thwart bots

    That's the idea, though it's been shown that some of the basic catchpa
    systems have been 'bot readable' at something like a 90% rate. So, it's not
    100% secure.

    http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mori/gimpy/gimpy.html

    Also, it can introduce a fairly large accessibility hurdle, so that needs to
    be weighed against the pros.

    > Does anybody know how to generate a password like this, and/or if there's

    > successful "standard" for doing it?

    No standard, but google should point you in the right direction:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=catchpa

    I have seen component packages that you can install that offer this, so
    there may very well be an off-the-shelf solution that would work for you.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Dec 10, 2004
  4. Exactly what I need--thank you both.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?=, Dec 10, 2004