Need "graffiti-type" graphic password

Guest

Hello all,

Not sure what to call it, but when you go to some sites, you are forced to
retype a graphic (looks like graffiti) password to continue. I presume this
is to thwart bots, DOS attacks, etc. I would like to do the same thing for
one of my sites.

Does anybody know how to generate a password like this, and/or if there's a
successful "standard" for doing it?

Thanks,

Bill

darrel

Not sure what to call it, but when you go to some sites, you are forced to
retype a graphic (looks like graffiti) password to continue.

It's called a 'catchpa' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha
I presume this
is to thwart bots

That's the idea, though it's been shown that some of the basic catchpa
systems have been 'bot readable' at something like a 90% rate. So, it's not
100% secure.

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mori/gimpy/gimpy.html

Also, it can introduce a fairly large accessibility hurdle, so that needs to
be weighed against the pros.
Does anybody know how to generate a password like this, and/or if there's a
successful "standard" for doing it?

No standard, but google should point you in the right direction:

http://www.google.com/search?q=catchpa

I have seen component packages that you can install that offer this, so
there may very well be an off-the-shelf solution that would work for you.

-Darrel