Need guidance - ADo .NET, ASP .NET, dataset - where does the code go?

Likhith Areekkal

Hi,

I am new to web programming and am using ASP .NET (C#) and ADO .NET to
develop a web based room booking application. I have been reading a lot of
books on ADO .NET and ASP .NET and I have a few basic question which I am
totally confused about.

Please note that I am a beginner and you have to see the questions in that
angle. I may be vague on my questions - if it is not clear please guide me.

1. Regarding dataset:

I have one bookings table which takes in all the booking information - ID of
the person, date booked, start time, end time and room booked. Update,
Delete, Add mainly happens in this database. there are other tables but the
main one is the above mentioned table.

Question:

Does every client who accesses the web application end up creating a
dataset?
OR
Is there only one dataset which is accessed by all clients?

2. Regarding ASP .NET:

If it is only one dataset which part of the program do I set this dataset up
so that the application creates only one dataset. ?

If I do it in the pageload section will it not end up creating dataset for
every client?

Are you with me? If the above question is not clear, please let me know.

The book talks about how to create the dataset - gives the code. But it
doesn't actually tell me which part of the program should the code for the
dataset be in.

Thank you and I appreciate your guidance.

Best Regards,
Li

Navendu Kumar

Hi Likhith,

Every user of your application will be having his own instance of the the
dataset you will create in your code.
You can create your dataset at any point of time in your code.

Regards

Navendu

ajap99

Hello Li
I am in exactly the same position as you are in.
Did you get it sorted ?
If you did I would like to make contact and maybe we could assist each other