Need Help : ASP.NET Strange behaviour with time consuming processes

veenakj

Hi,

We use ASP.NET framework v1.1.4322, ADO.NET and Oracle 9i Database.

This problem is with only with method which takes long time executing a
proc in database.

In a ASP.NET page_load method we call a database proc which executes
for approximately for 30minutes.

Everytime the method is called we log the start time in database.
Once the method is finished we log the end time in database.
and the front end displays the start and end time.

Everything works fine for time approximately < 20 minutes.

But if it is more than that, then after around 25 minutes, it calls the
method again and with no results on the screen(we can see 1 rec added
with start and end time and there will be another new record with new
start time indicating that the method is called again) and page will
not show any resulsts for some more time and then we get 'PAGE NOT
FOUND ERROR'

Now we tried by increasing the <httpruntime>'s executiontimeout =4800
but no luck.

Has anyone come across this situation. I have seen posts which say 'the
ASP.NET process is recycled and they can see an error in the event
log.' but in our case we do not have any errors in eventlog.

Also locally sometimes it works but when someone else accesses this
page remotely, it has consistently behaving the same way(meth called
twice.)

Please let me know if you have any idea on the issue.

Thanks

Christopher Reed

Oracle calls can be very slow in ASP.NET. I have an application that has a
similar issue with timing, though not quite as long.

You might consider using Oracle's ODP.NET for data access in place of
System.Data.OracleClient.