Need Help: C++ Delete Known File

Discussion in 'C++' started by da Vinci, May 9, 2004.

  1. da Vinci

    da Vinci Guest

    Greetings,

    Onwards with the school studying.

    Working on a program and need to delete a file from a known location
    on the hard drive but cannot get anything I do to work.

    I have tried to use the remove function that is included with <cstdio>
    but cannot get it to work properly. My reference book has the
    following....

    int remove(const char *fname);

    and I have found information on the internet using the same above
    along with an if statement. When it returns -1 it prints out "Not
    deleted" and when it returns 0 if prints "deleted".

    However, it never deletes the file.

    I have tried to use the system("del c:\deleteme.txt"); command as
    well. When I have tweaked the above command, it continues to say the
    file doesnt exist even though the path it shows is EXACTLY where the
    file is.

    I hate asking for code, in fact I think there is something in the FAQ
    saying not to ask for it.... but can someone set me straight here.
    Either I cannot figure out how to use the remove() properly or
    something is afu. :)

    Thanks gents.

    da Vinci, May 9, 2004

  2. da Vinci

    Leor Zolman Guest

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 01:53:20 GMT, da Vinci <> wrote:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >Onwards with the school studying.
    >
    >Working on a program and need to delete a file from a known location
    >on the hard drive but cannot get anything I do to work.
    >
    >I have tried to use the remove function that is included with <cstdio>
    >but cannot get it to work properly. My reference book has the
    >following....
    >
    >int remove(const char *fname);
    >
    >and I have found information on the internet using the same above
    >along with an if statement. When it returns -1 it prints out "Not
    >deleted" and when it returns 0 if prints "deleted".
    >
    >However, it never deletes the file.
    >
    >I have tried to use the system("del c:\deleteme.txt"); command as

    Try c:\\deleteme.txt, or better yet, the form that would have saved /me/
    lots of debugging time if I'd realized it was equivalent, c:/deleteme.txt.
    [Note: Usually, I don't notice this kind of bug until I'm single-stepping
    my program right up to the system/fopen/ifstream/whatever call, and looking
    at the debugger dump of the command string...)
    -leor

    www.bdsoft.com/tools/stlfilt.html

    Leor Zolman, May 9, 2004

  3. da Vinci

    David Harmon Guest

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 01:53:20 GMT in comp.lang.c++, da Vinci
    <> wrote,
    >I have tried to use the system("del c:\deleteme.txt"); command as

    This issue is covered in Marshall Cline's C++ FAQ. See the topic
    '[15.16] Why can't I open a file in a different directory such as
    "..\test.dat"?" It is always good to check the FAQ before posting.
    You can get the FAQ at:
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/

    The usual answer to that is the same in C++ as it is in C, and is
    covered in Q. 19.17 of Steve Summit's C FAQ. It is always good to
    check the FAQ before posting. You can get the FAQ at:

    David Harmon, May 9, 2004
  4. da Vinci

    da Vinci Guest

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 06:03:06 GMT, David Harmon <>
    wrote:

    >This issue is covered in Marshall Cline's C++ FAQ. See the topic
    >'[15.16] Why can't I open a file in a different directory such as
    >"..\test.dat"?" It is always good to check the FAQ before posting.
    >You can get the FAQ at:
    > http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    >
    >The usual answer to that is the same in C++ as it is in C, and is
    >covered in Q. 19.17 of Steve Summit's C FAQ. It is always good to
    >check the FAQ before posting. You can get the FAQ at:
    > http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

    I have read them.

    The issue is not in using a \ or a /. I cannot get it to delete the
    file, regardless of what I use.

    Example:

    #include <cstdio>

    int main()
    {
    if (remove("SEEBELOW") == -1)
    perror ("Error deleting file");
    else
    puts ("File deleted");

    return 0;
    }

    SEEBELOW is the file name and path that I have tried many different
    things with. c:/deleteme.txt ../deleteme.txt ect

    I have even created that txt file in every directory from c:\ to the
    directory where the .exe is at (debug in projects folder).

    This code is also right off the net and still doesnt work. I am
    clueless on it.

    da Vinci, May 9, 2004
  5. da Vinci

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "da Vinci" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 09 May 2004 06:03:06 GMT, David Harmon <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >This issue is covered in Marshall Cline's C++ FAQ. See the topic
    > >'[15.16] Why can't I open a file in a different directory such as
    > >"..\test.dat"?" It is always good to check the FAQ before posting.
    > >You can get the FAQ at:
    > > http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    > >
    > >The usual answer to that is the same in C++ as it is in C, and is
    > >covered in Q. 19.17 of Steve Summit's C FAQ. It is always good to
    > >check the FAQ before posting. You can get the FAQ at:
    > > http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
    > >

    > I have read them.
    >
    > The issue is not in using a \ or a /. I cannot get it to delete the
    > file, regardless of what I use.
    >
    > Example:
    >
    > #include <cstdio>
    >
    > int main()
    > {
    > if (remove("SEEBELOW") == -1)
    > perror ("Error deleting file");
    > else
    > puts ("File deleted");
    >
    > return 0;
    > }
    >
    > SEEBELOW is the file name and path that I have tried many different
    > things with. c:/deleteme.txt ../deleteme.txt ect
    >
    > I have even created that txt file in every directory from c:\ to the
    > directory where the .exe is at (debug in projects folder).
    >
    > This code is also right off the net and still doesnt work. I am
    > clueless on it.

    You're not listening.

    remove("c:\\deleteme.txt");

    You must also ensure that your operating system is not
    preventing the deletion (via e.g. 'permission' settings).

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, May 9, 2004
  6. "da Vinci" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 09 May 2004 06:03:06 GMT, David Harmon <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >This issue is covered in Marshall Cline's C++ FAQ. See the topic
    > >'[15.16] Why can't I open a file in a different directory such as
    > >"..\test.dat"?" It is always good to check the FAQ before posting.
    > >You can get the FAQ at:
    > > http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    > >
    > >The usual answer to that is the same in C++ as it is in C, and is
    > >covered in Q. 19.17 of Steve Summit's C FAQ. It is always good to
    > >check the FAQ before posting. You can get the FAQ at:
    > > http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
    > >

    > I have read them.
    >
    > The issue is not in using a \ or a /. I cannot get it to delete the
    > file, regardless of what I use.

    Here's the problem. Either you are trying to delete a file you cannot delete
    because you don't have the necessary permissions. Or you are making some
    sort of silly mistake. It's impossible for anyone but yourself to tell if
    the former is the case. And it is impossible for anyone here to tell if the
    latter is the case unless you POST THE EXACT CODE THAT DOESN'T WORK. It's
    not good enough to post your description of what you think might be going
    wrong, or an imprecise description of all the different things you have
    tried, as you say you are clueless. Post the exact code, don't type it in,
    cut and paste it from your compiler. Then we should get it sorted out pretty
    quickly.

    Also might help to mention what operating system and compiler you are using.

    john

    John Harrison, May 9, 2004
  7. da Vinci

    da Vinci Guest

    On 9 May 2004 07:09:33 GMT, "John Harrison"
    <> wrote:

    >Here's the problem. Either you are trying to delete a file you cannot delete
    >because you don't have the necessary permissions. Or you are making some
    >sort of silly mistake. It's impossible for anyone but yourself to tell if
    >the former is the case. And it is impossible for anyone here to tell if the
    >latter is the case unless you POST THE EXACT CODE THAT DOESN'T WORK. It's
    >not good enough to post your description of what you think might be going
    >wrong, or an imprecise description of all the different things you have
    >tried, as you say you are clueless. Post the exact code, don't type it in,
    >cut and paste it from your compiler. Then we should get it sorted out pretty
    >quickly.
    >
    >Also might help to mention what operating system and compiler you are using.
    >
    >john

    Sorry, got caught up in the problem and forgot to give the details.

    I am running Windows XP Pro SP1 and using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
    with Visual Studio 6 SP5 update.

    Here is an exact paste of the code I am working on. I left everything
    I tried in the program and just // off each one as I went on to a new
    one. This way you can see what I have tried to do in the past and
    where I am at currently. I have also checked the permission settings
    on all of the files I placed through out the directories and none of
    them are hidden or read only. Unless Windows XP sets another type of
    permission that I do not know about (not listed on a right click -
    properties) then that is good.

    Here is the code:

    #include <cstdio>

    int main()
    {
    /*if( remove( "../deleteme.txt" ) == -1 )
    perror( "Error deleting file" );
    else
    puts( "File successfully deleted" );*/

    //remove("deleteme.txt");
    //remove("c:/deleteme.txt");
    //remove("../deleteme.txt");
    //remove("c:\\deleteme.txt");
    //remove("c:\deleteme.txt");

    remove("/deleteme.txt");

    return 0;

    }

    da Vinci, May 9, 2004
  8. da Vinci

    Jorge Rivera Guest

    > However, it never deletes the file.

    If it remove returns -1, remember to use errno
    (I will assume using std somewhere...)
    Eg.

    #include <cerrno>
    if(-1 == remove(filename))
    {
    cout<<"Could not delete: "<<filename<<" due to: "
    <<strerror(errno)<<endl;

    This shoudl tell you why, and the output of the filename might also tell
    you something about the way you construct your filename array...

    Let mw know how it goes

    Jorge L.

    Jorge Rivera, May 9, 2004
  9. "da Vinci" <> wrote in message
    > On 9 May 2004 07:09:33 GMT, "John Harrison"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Here's the problem. Either you are trying to delete a file you cannot

    delete
    > >because you don't have the necessary permissions. Or you are making some
    > >sort of silly mistake. It's impossible for anyone but yourself to tell if
    > >the former is the case. And it is impossible for anyone here to tell if

    the
    > >latter is the case unless you POST THE EXACT CODE THAT DOESN'T WORK. It's
    > >not good enough to post your description of what you think might be going
    > >wrong, or an imprecise description of all the different things you have
    > >tried, as you say you are clueless. Post the exact code, don't type it

    in,
    > >cut and paste it from your compiler. Then we should get it sorted out

    pretty
    > >quickly.
    > >
    > >Also might help to mention what operating system and compiler you are

    using.

    > >john
    > >

    > Sorry, got caught up in the problem and forgot to give the details.
    >
    > I am running Windows XP Pro SP1 and using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
    > with Visual Studio 6 SP5 update.
    >
    > Here is an exact paste of the code I am working on. I left everything
    > I tried in the program and just // off each one as I went on to a new
    > one. This way you can see what I have tried to do in the past and
    > where I am at currently. I have also checked the permission settings
    > on all of the files I placed through out the directories and none of
    > them are hidden or read only. Unless Windows XP sets another type of
    > permission that I do not know about (not listed on a right click -
    > properties) then that is good.

    Oh yes, Windows XP has lots of other types of permissions. Right click -
    permissions - security tab.

    > Here is the code:
    >
    > #include <cstdio>
    >
    > int main()
    > {
    > /*if( remove( "../deleteme.txt" ) == -1 )
    > perror( "Error deleting file" );
    > else
    > puts( "File successfully deleted" );*/
    >
    > //remove("deleteme.txt");
    > //remove("c:/deleteme.txt");
    > //remove("../deleteme.txt");
    > //remove("c:\\deleteme.txt");
    > //remove("c:\deleteme.txt");
    >
    > remove("/deleteme.txt");
    >
    > return 0;
    >
    > }

    Well I tried all your variations and they all work for except
    "c:\deleteme.txt" which is wrong (should be \\ not \). They don't all delete
    files in the same directory mind you, but when I put a file in the right
    place it deletes it.

    So we have a bit of a mystery. The one thing you haven't said yet which
    might help is what error message you get from the perror call.

    Here's some possiblities, but none seem very likely

    1) You don't have the permissions to delete the file. Since you seem to be
    creating the file this seems unlikely. But try deleteing the file from the
    desktop, if you can do that, then a program you run should also be able to
    delete the file.

    2) Some other program has the file open. For instance maybe you are using an
    editor to create the file but you haven't closed down that editor before you
    try to delete the file.

    3) In all your different attempts with files in different places you haven't
    managed to get the combination of file location and program code correct
    yet.

    Another issue, can you delete a file when its in the same directory as your
    program code? I.e. when you just try

    remove("deleteme.txt");

    and deleteme.txt is in the same place as the code above.

    Another thing to try, use this code

    #include <windows.h>

    int main()
    {
    DWORD err_code = 0;
    if (!DeleteFile("c:\\deleteme.txt"))
    err_code = GetLastError();
    }

    I'd be interested to know whether this program deletes the file, and if not
    what the value of err_code is.

    john

    John Harrison, May 9, 2004
  10. >
    > 1) You don't have the permissions to delete the file. Since you seem to be
    > creating the file this seems unlikely. But try deleteing the file from the
    > desktop, if you can do that, then a program you run should also be able to
    > delete the file.
    >
    > 2) Some other program has the file open. For instance maybe you are using

    an
    > editor to create the file but you haven't closed down that editor before

    you
    > try to delete the file.
    >
    > 3) In all your different attempts with files in different places you

    haven't
    > managed to get the combination of file location and program code correct
    > yet.

    Another possibility

    4) You think you are compiling the code you posted but in fact you've made
    some mistake in your project settings somewhere and in fact you're compiling
    and running a completely different program.

    When things seem insane you need to run a few sanity checks.

    john

    John Harrison, May 9, 2004
  11. >
    > Oh yes, Windows XP has lots of other types of permissions. Right click -
    > permissions - security tab.

    Right click - properties - security tab.

    john

    John Harrison, May 9, 2004
  12. da Vinci

    Leor Zolman Guest

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 14:37:03 GMT, da Vinci <> wrote:

    >I am running Windows XP Pro SP1 and using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
    >with Visual Studio 6 SP5 update.
    >
    >Here is an exact paste of the code I am working on. I left everything
    >I tried in the program and just // off each one as I went on to a new
    >one. This way you can see what I have tried to do in the past and
    >where I am at currently. I have also checked the permission settings
    >on all of the files I placed through out the directories and none of
    >them are hidden or read only. Unless Windows XP sets another type of
    >permission that I do not know about (not listed on a right click -
    >properties) then that is good.
    >
    >Here is the code:
    >
    >#include <cstdio>
    >
    >int main()
    >{
    > /*if( remove( "../deleteme.txt" ) == -1 )
    > perror( "Error deleting file" );
    > else
    > puts( "File successfully deleted" );*/
    >
    > //remove("deleteme.txt");
    > //remove("c:/deleteme.txt");
    > //remove("../deleteme.txt");
    > //remove("c:\\deleteme.txt");
    > //remove("c:\deleteme.txt");
    >
    > remove("/deleteme.txt");
    >
    > return 0;
    >
    >}

    You might try just "fopen"-ing the file first and see if that succeeds.
    That will tell you if the basic pathname is being processed as you expect.
    Of course, close it before attempting to delete it.

    Also, have you tested by creating a new file and then immediately trying to
    delete it? That would eliminate possibilities such as the file being held
    open, having weird permissions, etc. I'd try that both by creating the file
    outside of the program, and also by creating it /within/ the program (e.g.,
    using fopen/fputs/fclose to create it first), just to see if the two behave
    any differently.

    Good luck,

    Leor Zolman, May 9, 2004
  13. da Vinci

    DaVinci Guest

    On 9 May 2004 15:22:01 GMT, "John Harrison"
    <> wrote:

    >#include <windows.h>
    >
    >int main()
    >{
    >DWORD err_code = 0;
    >if (!DeleteFile("c:\\deleteme.txt"))
    > err_code = GetLastError();
    >}

    I ran this code and the only thing it says is "Press any key to
    continue". There are no error codes or anything else displayed.

    The file is still there though.

    Click > Properties > General / Summary tabs. I am logged in as an
    administrator with full access on the computer. I have ensured that
    the read only and hidden blocks are unchecked and went into the
    'advanced' area and made sure everything was good there.

    It works for you and not me.... that is frustrating!!

    DaVinci, May 9, 2004
  14. "DaVinci" <> wrote in message
    > On 9 May 2004 15:22:01 GMT, "John Harrison"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >#include <windows.h>
    > >
    > >int main()
    > >{
    > >DWORD err_code = 0;
    > >if (!DeleteFile("c:\\deleteme.txt"))
    > > err_code = GetLastError();
    > >}

    > I ran this code and the only thing it says is "Press any key to
    > continue". There are no error codes or anything else displayed.

    Well no, you have to add a print statement

    #include <windows.h>
    #include <cstdio> // add this

    int main()
    {
    DWORD err_code = 0;
    if (!DeleteFile("c:\\deleteme.txt"))
    err_code = GetLastError();
    printf("error code = %lu\n", err_code); // add this
    }

    Sorry I didn't think I would have to spell that out.

    What about the error message you get from your original code?

    if( remove( "../deleteme.txt" ) == -1 )
    perror( "Error deleting file" );
    else
    puts( "File successfully deleted" );

    That should tell you something useful.

    john

    John Harrison, May 9, 2004
  15. the remove function calls system functions, such as "del". Does it work in a
    dos box, when you try to delete a file ? Maybe your PATH environnement
    variable is not set to the windows system ?

    Jean Charbonneau, May 10, 2004
  16. "Jean Charbonneau" <> wrote in message
    > the remove function calls system functions, such as "del". Does it work in

    > dos box, when you try to delete a file ? Maybe your PATH environnement
    > variable is not set to the windows system ?

    On my system (which is MSVC++ 7.1 so not the same as the OP's) remove calls
    the Windows API function DeleteFile, which is why I advised the OP do to the
    same.

    I'd be very surprised if the remove API call required a correct PATH
    environment variable to work, but maybe the OP could give it a try.

    john

    John Harrison, May 10, 2004
  17. "John Harrison" <> wrote in message

    > "Jean Charbonneau" <> wrote in message
    > > the remove function calls system functions, such as "del". Does it work

    in
    > > dos box, when you try to delete a file ? Maybe your PATH environnement
    > > variable is not set to the windows system ?
    > >

    > On my system (which is MSVC++ 7.1 so not the same as the OP's) remove

    calls
    > the Windows API function DeleteFile, which is why I advised the OP do to

    the
    > same.
    >
    > I'd be very surprised if the remove API call required a correct PATH
    > environment variable to work, but maybe the OP could give it a try.
    >
    > john

    I was wondering after reading the remove doc which is there ->
    http://www.cplusplus.com/ref/cstdio/remove.html

    It says "It is compiled as a call to the system function for deleting files
    (unlink, erase or del)."

    I understand then, that it calls the del on windows environnement, and
    therefore I was wondering if then depending on the PATH value, that call
    would work or not, tell me if I'm wrong, I'm a beginner somehow.

    Jean Charbonneau, May 10, 2004
  18. da Vinci

    Leor Zolman Guest

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:30:26 +0200, "Jean Charbonneau"
    <> wrote:

    >I was wondering after reading the remove doc which is there ->
    >http://www.cplusplus.com/ref/cstdio/remove.html
    >
    >It says "It is compiled as a call to the system function for deleting files
    >(unlink, erase or del)."
    >
    >I understand then, that it calls the del on windows environnement, and
    >therefore I was wondering if then depending on the PATH value, that call
    >would work or not, tell me if I'm wrong, I'm a beginner somehow.

    I think you're confusing "system calls" (either when they're invoked
    directly from a C/C++ program, or as a result of running command
    interpreters' "built-in" commands such as cd on Win/Unix, del on Windows,
    etc.) with the running of "external" or "transient" commands. Since, under
    Windows, even the command line's "del" is built in to the command
    processor, it wouldn't rely on the setting of PATH (which, under Windows,
    is used primarily to locate executable commands in the case when they're
    not present in the current working directory). In any case, library
    functions such as "remove" would never in their right mind invoke a
    command processor, since removing is a system API facility that can be
    invoked directly via a direct API call...again, without any use for the
    PATH setting. In fact, I doubt any library functions ever have any need to
    invoke the command processor, with the exception of those designed
    specifically for the purpose of invoking a command processor with various
    configurations of arguments. Those, such as system(), would be the only
    ones that the PATH setting might affect.

    Leor Zolman, May 10, 2004
  19. da Vinci

    DaVinci Guest

    On 9 May 2004 20:26:43 GMT, "John Harrison"
    <> wrote:

    >#include <windows.h>
    >#include <cstdio> // add this
    >
    >int main()
    >{
    >DWORD err_code = 0;
    >if (!DeleteFile("c:\\deleteme.txt"))
    > err_code = GetLastError();
    >printf("error code = %lu\n", err_code); // add this
    >}

    On this code, I get an error code of 2.

    I was thinking the same on the print statement needing to be added but
    at this point, I didnt want to mess with anything. Seeing as how this
    'should' be working and it isnt, I wanted to do exactly as you said to
    see if we could get it figured out.

    As for the original code you asked about.....

    if( remove( "c:/deleteme.txt" ) == -1 )
    perror( "Error deleting file" );
    else
    puts( "File successfully deleted" );

    I always get a "No such file or directory" error. However, as I said
    before, I have that file in every directory from C:\ all the way to
    the debug folder where the .exe is being compiled and executed.

    DaVinci, May 10, 2004
  20. "DaVinci" <> wrote in message
    > On 9 May 2004 20:26:43 GMT, "John Harrison"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >#include <windows.h>
    > >#include <cstdio> // add this
    > >
    > >int main()
    > >{
    > >DWORD err_code = 0;
    > >if (!DeleteFile("c:\\deleteme.txt"))
    > > err_code = GetLastError();
    > >printf("error code = %lu\n", err_code); // add this
    > >}

    > On this code, I get an error code of 2.
    >
    > I was thinking the same on the print statement needing to be added but
    > at this point, I didnt want to mess with anything. Seeing as how this
    > 'should' be working and it isnt, I wanted to do exactly as you said to
    > see if we could get it figured out.
    >
    > As for the original code you asked about.....
    >
    > if( remove( "c:/deleteme.txt" ) == -1 )
    > perror( "Error deleting file" );
    > else
    > puts( "File successfully deleted" );
    >
    > I always get a "No such file or directory" error. However, as I said
    > before, I have that file in every directory from C:\ all the way to
    > the debug folder where the .exe is being compiled and executed.

    Well, what can I say, error code 2 means "The system cannot find the file
    specified", perror says basically the same.

    I'm stumped I'm afraid. However this is very clearly a Windows issue not a
    C++ issue, there is nothing wrong with your code from a C++ point of view.
    Perhaps you could ask again on a Windows programming group like
    news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32. Someone with more Windows
    expertise might be able to answer.

    If I think of anything I'll post again.

    john

    John Harrison, May 10, 2004