Need help!! (Compiling in KDevelop)

Discussion in 'C++' started by Mike Wahler, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. Mike Wahler

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [OT, welcome msg, redirect] Need help!! (Compiling in KDevelop)

    "Silvan Villiger" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm new to linux and tried to use KDevelop 3.0, but I have no idea about
    > how to deal with the automake-stuff. I don't know if this is the right
    > newsgroup for my problem,

    It's not.

    > but I decided to try it :).

    Instead of 'trying it' you should have checked out what
    the group's topic is first. See:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

    You can use Google to find out if there are newsgroups,
    mailing lists, or other online support resources for
    KDevelop.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Jun 23, 2004

  2. Hi all,

    I'm new to linux and tried to use KDevelop 3.0, but I have no idea about
    how to deal with the automake-stuff. I don't know if this is the right
    newsgroup for my problem, but I decided to try it :). Lets assume to
    have a simple program like: a hello_world.cpp with a function printing
    "hello world" to std::cout, a hello_world.h with the
    function-declaration and a run.cpp with a main-function calling the
    hello_world-function.
    Which plugin do I have to take in the "create project wizard"? Always
    "simple hello world program"? The wizard created a src dir with a .cpp
    in it. So I created the second .cpp and the hello_world.h in the src dir
    too. In the Automake Manager I have a "tree" showing src in the upper
    half, and a "Header in noinst" & "hello_world (Program in bin)" - Folder
    in the lower half. The header was automaticly in the "Header in noinst"
    field, I added the second .cpp to the "hello_world"-field. When I now
    press on "Build Project" he can compile everything and creates 2 .o
    files in a /debug - dir, but he does not link them. How can I tell the
    automake manager to link my .o files automatically? Pleas help me - I
    dont get any further.. If I right-klick on the hello_world target in the
    lower half of the automake manager there are error messages of missing
    deklarations and if i try to run the programm in debugger he tells me
    that I specified no executable (Jeah, I didnt, because I dont even know
    wheter I have one :), neither where to specify it).

    Thank you for helping me!
    Silvan Villiger, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Re: [OT, welcome msg, redirect] Need help!! (Compiling in KDevelop)

    "Mike Wahler" <> wrote in message news:<azmCc.15431$>...
    > "Silvan Villiger" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I'm new to linux and tried to use KDevelop 3.0, but I have no idea about
    > > how to deal with the automake-stuff. I don't know if this is the right
    > > newsgroup for my problem,

    > It's not.
    >
    > > but I decided to try it :).

    > Instead of 'trying it' you should have checked out what
    > the group's topic is first. See:
    > http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    >
    > You can use Google to find out if there are newsgroups,
    > mailing lists, or other online support resources for
    > KDevelop.

    For example these two newsgroups:
    comp.windows.x.kde
    comp.os.linux.development.apps
    Markus Dehmann, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Silvan Villiger wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm new to linux and tried to use KDevelop 3.0, but I have no idea about
    > how to deal with the automake-stuff. I don't know if this is the right
    > newsgroup for my problem, but I decided to try it :). Lets assume to
    > have a simple program like: a hello_world.cpp with a function printing
    > "hello world" to std::cout, a hello_world.h with the
    > function-declaration and a run.cpp with a main-function calling the
    > hello_world-function.
    > Which plugin do I have to take in the "create project wizard"? Always
    > "simple hello world program"? The wizard created a src dir with a .cpp
    > in it. So I created the second .cpp and the hello_world.h in the src dir
    > too. In the Automake Manager I have a "tree" showing src in the upper
    > half, and a "Header in noinst" & "hello_world (Program in bin)" - Folder
    > in the lower half. The header was automaticly in the "Header in noinst"
    > field, I added the second .cpp to the "hello_world"-field. When I now
    > press on "Build Project" he can compile everything and creates 2 .o
    > files in a /debug - dir, but he does not link them. How can I tell the
    > automake manager to link my .o files automatically? Pleas help me - I
    > dont get any further.. If I right-klick on the hello_world target in the
    > lower half of the automake manager there are error messages of missing
    > deklarations and if i try to run the programm in debugger he tells me
    > that I specified no executable (Jeah, I didnt, because I dont even know
    > wheter I have one :), neither where to specify it).
    >
    > Thank you for helping me!

    No this is not the best place to go for help. Try the www.kdevelop.org
    There are mailing lists, and forums linked there. It sounds like you
    should to go to the users mailing list. Warning: the automake stuff is not
    in the best of shape in general. The (autotools) documentation is in need
    of updating, and the KDevelop documentation is in need of creation. If you
    don't get help the first time you post, Give it a day or so, and the
    whine. ;-)
    --
    STH
    Hatton's Law: "There is only One inviolable Law"
    Steven T. Hatton, Jun 24, 2004