    each state individually ? How would i reference the table/array in code ?

    Thanks,
    Tony
    Tony Girgenti, Sep 16, 2006

  2. Create a table with the states in it. Add a reference in your other table.
    Add both tables to the same dataset. Add a relationship between the tables
    in the DataSet. You can now refer to the parent (state) records from the
    other table.

    If you then want to query a single state, you can filter on the records that
    are linked to the state in question.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside of the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 17, 2006

  3. Hello Cowboy.

    Thanks for your help with this.

    I don't see how what you are saying help's me. Here is what i have:
    Trip DataTable
    Tripno
    Tractorno
    Location
    Date
    Mileage in state (can occur as many as 50 times, one for each state or
    can be just 1 state)
    Fuel in state (can occur as many as 50 times, one for each state or can
    be just 1 state)
    Tolls

    So, instead of adding fifty elements state(twice, 1 for mileage and 1 for
    fuel), i want to just say it once and use some kind of index to loop thru
    the states for each trip.

    There will always be at least 1 state for each trip.

    I hope that makes sense. I don't know how to do that with the xml designer.
    I also don't know how to put it in code to access the individual columns for
    each trip.

    Thanks
    Tony

    message news:...

    Tony Girgenti, Sep 17, 2006
  4. What about adding an element that occurs from 1..n that has an attribute of
    the state code? A sample XML would be:

    <Trip>
    <Miles state="OH">75</Miles>
    <Miles state="KY">300</Miles>
    <Miles state="TN">100</Miles>
    </Trip>

    Regards,

    Max

    Max Schneider, Image Innovation, Sep 17, 2006
  5. Hello Max.

    It looks like you are creating XML data. I'm looking for how to define the
    data with a schema.

    Thanks,
    Tony

    "Max Schneider, Image Innovation" <> wrote in
    message news:z34Pg.33$...

    Tony Girgenti, Sep 17, 2006
  6. Tony Girgenti

    smadden Guest

    I agree. Why not just add attribute state, and then enumerate the
    value for each of the 50 states.

    smadden, Sep 17, 2006
  7. Tony:

    I am not familiar with VS 2003. I started with .net 2.0 and VS 2005. The way
    that I would handle this situation is as follows:

    I would create two data tables:

    1. TblTrips
    2. TblTripDetails

    TblTrips would have the following fields:

    ID
    TripNo
    TractorNo

    TblTripDetails would have the following fields:
    ID
    TripNo
    Location
    Date
    MilesIn
    FuelIn
    Tolls

    I am assuming that location is the state. If it is not, just replace
    Location with state and insert State into TblTrips.

    You can then establish a relationship in the designer. In code you can
    create a datarow collection (array) and access all of the children based on
    the trip id.

    Hope this helps,

    Daniel Brittain Dugger

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVsIEJyaXR0YWluIER1Z2dlcg==?=, Sep 24, 2006