Need help diagnosing a JVM crash on Linux

Tony

We have a Java server-side program that is crashing intermittantly
with a realtime signal on Linux. The signal appears to be SIGRTMAX-3
(signal 61). The OS is Linux Enterprise version 3 running on a Dell
PowerEdge blade server.

We cannot reliably reproduce the crash and the crash does not appear
to generate a core dump or a crash log file. I'm new to diagnosing
problems at this level with the JVM (although I have a good amount of
experience debugging crashes on Unix using tools like adb, kdb, and
gdb).

I'm looking for hints as to how to track this problem done (assuming I
can find a way to reproduce it). Is there a way to get the JVM to
generate one of those log file summaries when it receives this signal?
I'm guessing it doesn't do it now because the default behavior for
the realtime signals is to terminate the process without dumping a
core file.

Any other approaches that anyone would suggest? Any help is
appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony