    validating, code completion, etc. I usually use NetBeans but that is
    too java-centric. I want something neutral.
    , Dec 1, 2005

  2. Peter Flynn Guest

    wrote:

    > Hey, I am an instructor and I have an XML class coming up. I would
    > just like to know a good, easy, and intuitive XML editor that does
    > validating, code completion, etc. I usually use NetBeans but that is
    > too java-centric. I want something neutral.

    See http://xml.silmaril.ie/developers/software/ -- the note on Editors

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Dec 1, 2005

  3. Peter Flynn Guest

    wrote:

    > Hey, I am an instructor and I have an XML class coming up. I would
    > just like to know a good, easy, and intuitive XML editor that does
    > validating, code completion, etc. I usually use NetBeans but that is
    > too java-centric. I want something neutral.

    I'd be interested to try and understand what you mean by "intuitive" in
    this context, because everyone has their own definition, and what seems
    intuitive to a programmer may be counter-productive for an author, and
    vice versa.

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Dec 1, 2005
  4. <> wrote in message
    > Hey, I am an instructor and I have an XML class coming up. I would just
    > like to know a good, easy, and intuitive XML editor that does
    > validating, code completion, etc. I usually use NetBeans but that is
    > too java-centric. I want something neutral.

    Try JEdit (http://www.jedit.org/) with the XML Plugin.

    // Magnus
    Magnus Henriksson, Dec 2, 2005
  5. HI - Try Stylus Studio. The main advantages of using it for teaching
    purposes are 2-fold:

    (1) you can use any XML processor (MSXML, .NET, Apache Xalan, Apache
    Xerces, Saxon, XSV, DataDirect XQuery .. or whatever). I have found
    from personal experience in teaching XML classes, that the students
    come from different technological backgrounds, so support for
    C++/Java/.NET processors is a plus.

    (2) The XML Schema Editor (
    http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_schema_editor.html ), XSLT Editor (
    http://www.stylusstudio.com/xslt_editor.html ), and XQuery Editor (
    http://www.stylusstudio.com/xquery_editor.html ) all provide
    synchronized graphical editing views and text editing, so students can
    edit the code and at the same time, see a visual representation of what
    they are working on, this is the same intuitive approach used by tools
    like dreamweaver/frontpage for HTML editing.

    A free trial is available here:
    http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_download.html
    There are some academic discounts here:
    http://www.stylusstudio.com/academic_pricing.html
    And, here is a marketing piece that talks about 10 reasons why schools
    use Stylus Studio to teach XML:
    http://www.stylusstudio.com/why_home_edition.html

    Hope that helps.

    Sincerely,
    The Stylus Studio Team
    http://www.stylusstudio.com
    Stylus Studio, Dec 2, 2005
  6. xmlBlueprint Team, Dec 21, 2005
  7. Aaron Mehl Guest

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:50:05 -0800, dh.evolutionnext wrote:

    > Hey, I am an instructor and I have an XML class coming up. I would just
    > like to know a good, easy, and intuitive XML editor that does
    > validating, code completion, etc. I usually use NetBeans but that is
    > too java-centric. I want something neutral.

    Well I have used a number of editors and this is a tricky question.
    I am currently using nxml-mode which is extremely intuitive. But it is not
    a gui...

    Oxygen and xmlspy are two other I have tried that have all the whistles
    and buzzers.

    The advantage of xmlspy is it is very mature, I would guess it is
    expensive...

    the nxml mode has realtime validation and completion and a whole lot more,
    learning it for xml and they have something they can use forever.

    I worry that the commercial products when things change my dissapear, but
    emacs (love it or hate it) will be there for years, and look who created
    nxml mode..

    Aaron
    Aaron Mehl, Jan 30, 2006
  8. Peter Flynn Guest

    Aaron Mehl wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:50:05 -0800, dh.evolutionnext wrote:
    >
    >> Hey, I am an instructor and I have an XML class coming up. I would just
    >> like to know a good, easy, and intuitive XML editor that does
    >> validating, code completion, etc. I usually use NetBeans but that is
    >> too java-centric. I want something neutral.

    > Well I have used a number of editors and this is a tricky question.

    It certainly is, which is why it's my research topic :)

    There is a short piece in the FAQ about editors in the section on
    software at http://xml.silmaril.ie/developers/software/ with some
    pointers to a couple of comparative studies.

    A lot depends on what your students need to do. If they are editing
    normal text documents, they'll need different facilities to people
    editing data.

    There ain't no such animal as intuitive. Period. What's intuitive
    to you is going to be obscure to someone else, and vice versa.

    But validating, for sure, almost all editors do that: they'd be useless
    without it. I'm not sure what code completion is, but if you mean TAB
    completion of partially-typed element type names, like Emacs/psgml
    does it, that's rather uncommon. Most editors have an Insert Element
    menu which lets the user pick.

    Let us know what you chose and why. A personal recommendation (or
    disrecommendation!) is always useful :)

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/