Need help for Non-Profit Site

Bobbie

I hope I'm in the right place. We really need some help.

I'm affiliated with a non-profit educational group (The Alliance for
Transforming the Lives of Children -- www.atlc.org) -- it's been a primarily
volunteer staff, including the wonderful webmaster. Our problem is that on
IE browsers the text appears as right justified. It's not supposed to be
that way and it looks really weird. The webmaster can't figure out why it's
doing it.

Can one of you wizards look at the code (www.atlc.org) and see if you can
find a fix for it? We would be so very appreciative.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Bobbie said:
I hope I'm in the right place. We really need some help.

I'm affiliated with a non-profit educational group (The Alliance
for Transforming the Lives of Children -- www.atlc.org) -- it's
been a primarily volunteer staff, including the wonderful
webmaster. Our problem is that on IE browsers the text appears as
right justified. It's not supposed to be that way and it looks
really weird. The webmaster can't figure out why it's doing it.

The webmaster can't? Hmmm.

http://www.atlc.org/_extras/masterStyles.css
Remove the occurrences of: text-align: right

Oli Filth

Bobbie said:
I hope I'm in the right place. We really need some help.

I'm affiliated with a non-profit educational group (The Alliance for
Transforming the Lives of Children -- www.atlc.org) -- it's been a primarily
volunteer staff, including the wonderful webmaster. Our problem is that on
IE browsers the text appears as right justified. It's not supposed to be
that way and it looks really weird. The webmaster can't figure out why it's
doing it.

Can one of you wizards look at the code (www.atlc.org) and see if you can
find a fix for it? We would be so very appreciative.

You have an align=right attribute for the <TD> on line 168.

I would also recommend running the page through the W3C HTML validator
to help eliminate any markup errors (http://validator.w3.org).

Spartanicus

Bobbie said:
I'm affiliated with a non-profit educational group (The Alliance for
Transforming the Lives of Children -- www.atlc.org) -- it's been a primarily
volunteer staff, including the wonderful webmaster. Our problem is that on
IE browsers the text appears as right justified. It's not supposed to be
that way and it looks really weird. The webmaster can't figure out why it's
doing it.

Tell your "webmaster" to fix the errors first:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.atlc.org/

Come back if that doesn't help.

Barbara de Zoete

Our problem is that on
IE browsers the text appears as right justified.

As it does also in Opera

Then take out all those said:
The webmaster can't figure out why it's
doing it.

Then s/he better stop using <meta name="generator"content="Adobe GoLive
6"> and start learning some real markup writing.

Steve Pugh

Bobbie said:
I'm affiliated with a non-profit educational group (The Alliance for
Transforming the Lives of Children -- www.atlc.org) -- it's been a primarily
volunteer staff, including the wonderful webmaster. Our problem is that on
IE browsers the text appears as right justified. It's not supposed to be
that way and it looks really weird. The webmaster can't figure out why it's
doing it.

Can one of you wizards look at the code (www.atlc.org) and see if you can
find a fix for it? We would be so very appreciative.

<!-- #BeginEditable "content" -->

The align="right" is aligning all the content to the right. Set
align="left" on the inner <td> or better yet ditch the tables for
layout altogether.

It would have been a good idea to fix the basic errors before asking
for outside help:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.atlc.org/
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://www.atlc.org/&warning=1&profile=css2

Steve

Richard

I hope I'm in the right place. We really need some help.
I'm affiliated with a non-profit educational group (The Alliance for
Transforming the Lives of Children -- www.atlc.org) -- it's been a
primarily
volunteer staff, including the wonderful webmaster. Our problem is
that on
IE browsers the text appears as right justified. It's not supposed to
be
that way and it looks really weird. The webmaster can't figure out why
it's
doing it.
Can one of you wizards look at the code (www.atlc.org) and see if you
can
find a fix for it? We would be so very appreciative.

If he can't figure out his own mistakes, it's high time you got another
webmaster.

right;">Allianc

Looks to me like he told the text to be right justified on purpose.
And to start it all off with, the main division is "center"??????
Dude, this tells the content of the entire division to align everything
centered.
Then why the blasted tables?

Learn CSS and do the job yourself.

Bobbie

Thank you all. I really appreciate your candor. I will pass along your
comments.

We've been very lucky to have him do our website at all for no pay. He's
been very kind and I believe he will be grateful for your suggestions.

I'll come back and let you know how it turns out.

I hope I'm in the right place. We really need some help.

I'm affiliated with a non-profit educational group (The Alliance for
Transforming the Lives of Children -- www.atlc.org) -- it's been a primarily
volunteer staff, including the wonderful webmaster. Our problem is that on
IE browsers the text appears as right justified. It's not supposed to be
that way and it looks really weird. The webmaster can't figure out why it's
doing it.

Can one of you wizards look at the code (www.atlc.org) and see if you can
find a fix for it? We would be so very appreciative.

Bobbie

Here's the email I just got from our webmaster:

Hi Bobbie,

Thanks to you and your newsgroup for making me spend 4 hours fixing my
markup. There are 7 different files involved in producing each standard page
on the site, 6 include files for the standard header/menu/footer container
and one for the unique page content. I was able to correct the 6 include
files which fixes the problem on the whole site. That's why I love include
files. Since creating this template I have stopped using tables for layout
on my other sites and use CSS instead which is finally well enough supported
and is much simpler to keep track of than hundreds of table cells. It
wouldn't be that hard to convert the aTLC site, but I don't have another 4
hours right now :)

Our helpful friends were basically right, there were several scrambled tags
and I deserved the digs. It looks like one of those rush job changes that I
got working on the browsers I could test and didn't have 4 hours to verify
it was all correct. Then I forgot about it and it fell through the crack.

Anyway, it now verifies at w3 and should work fine now. Let me know if there
are still any problems.

I appreciate any help that makes the site better. Thanks again.
Thanks to you all!

Kind regards,