Need help for solution in ASP.NET with VB

Peter Karlström

Hi

I'm a newbe to ASP.NET but are trying to create a web application using
Visual Studio 2005 and .NET Framework 2.0 with VB.

The goal is a web page with a TreeView to the left and a data table or list
at the upper right part. In the lower right part, specific properties from
the selected item is to be shown. The three parts is to follow window
resizing, in the same way the "old" technique with frames did.
All data is read from a database.

I'm confused about which componets to use, apart from the obvious Treeview
control.
I have tried WebPart components, but they seem to be for editing purposes,
and are far more complex than I wich for.

What components should I use?
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Steven Cheng

Hi Peter,

Welcome to ASP.NET newsgroup.

As for this issue, I've actually seen your previous post in the following
classic ASP group:

microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general

I've already posted reply there(I also forgot that it's specific to classic
ASP :) )

For your convenience, I'll paste my reply there below:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
From your description, you're looking for some advice on developing an
ASP.NET data driven web page. let me first confirm my understanding of the
page you want to create:

** have a treeview on the left side

** on the right side, it is separated by top and bottom section.
-- top section will contains a List of data records from database
-- when user select a certain record in the List within top section ,
buttom section will display the detail info of that selected record.

Is the above understanding matchs your idea?

If so, I think it is like a Master-Details data display page. For the main
page layout, you can use a html <table> element to structure the layout. A
two column table, the TreeView in left cell while the other part(top and
bottom section in the right cell).

Then, in the right cell, you can use a Gridview and DetailsView control to
display the Master-Details data information. Here is a sample page in the
asp.net quickstart:

#Gridview + DetailsView sample page
http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/samples/data/GridViewMasterD
etails_cs.aspx

this sample page display records list in a Gridview , then whenever you
select a record in Gridview, it will display details information in a
DetailsView on the right side. We can also easily change it to a
top/bottom layout page.

Here are more examples about gridview and detailsview in quickstart
tutorial:

#DetailsView
http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/doc/ctrlref/data/detailsview
..aspx

And you can find more samples in the ASP.NET data access turtorial which
introduce more common ASP.NET data access page designing scenarios:

#Data Access Tutorials
http://www.asp.net/Learn/data-access/

If you have any further specific questions on implementing the page or the
data access code, please feel free to post here.
If you have any questions, welcome to followup here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).