Need help for solution in ASP.NET with VB

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Peter Karlström, Jan 15, 2009.

  1. Hi

    I'm a newbe to ASP.NET but are trying to create a web application using
    Visual Studio 2005 and .NET Framework 2.0 with VB.

    The goal is a web page with a TreeView to the left and a data table or list
    at the upper right part. In the lower right part, specific properties from
    the selected item is to be shown. The three parts is to follow window
    resizing, in the same way the "old" technique with frames did.
    All data is read from a database.

    I'm confused about which componets to use, apart from the obvious Treeview
    control.
    I have tried WebPart components, but they seem to be for editing purposes,
    and are far more complex than I wich for.

    What components should I use?
    Any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance
    --
    Peter Karlström
    Midrange AB

    Peter Karlström, Jan 15, 2009

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed
    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgS2FybHN0csO2bQ==?= <>
    writing in news::

    > Hi
    >
    > I'm a newbe to ASP.NET but are trying to create a web application
    > using Visual Studio 2005 and .NET Framework 2.0 with VB.
    >
    > The goal is a web page with a TreeView to the left and a data table or
    > list at the upper right part. In the lower right part, specific
    > properties from the selected item is to be shown. The three parts is
    > to follow window resizing, in the same way the "old" technique with
    > frames did. All data is read from a database.
    >
    > I'm confused about which componets to use, apart from the obvious
    > Treeview control.
    > I have tried WebPart components, but they seem to be for editing
    > purposes, and are far more complex than I wich for.
    >
    > What components should I use?
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    This is an ASP Classic group. You want something with dotnet in it's
    name.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 15, 2009

  3. Hi Adrienne

    OK, thanks.

    Regards
    --
    Peter Karlström
    Midrange AB

    Peter Karlström, Jan 15, 2009
  4. Peter Karlström

    Steven Cheng Guest

    Hi Peter,

    From your description, you're looking for some advice on developing an
    ASP.NET data driven web page. let me first confirm my understanding of the
    page you want to create:

    ** have a treeview on the left side

    ** on the right side, it is separated by top and bottom section.
    -- top section will contains a List of data records from database
    -- when user select a certain record in the List within top section ,
    buttom section will display the detail info of that selected record.

    Is the above understanding matchs your idea?

    If so, I think it is like a Master-Details data display page. For the main
    page layout, you can use a html <table> element to structure the layout. A
    two column table, the TreeView in left cell while the other part(top and
    bottom section in the right cell).

    Then, in the right cell, you can use a Gridview and DetailsView control to
    display the Master-Details data information. Here is a sample page in the
    asp.net quickstart:

    #Gridview + DetailsView sample page
    http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/samples/data/GridViewMasterD
    etails_cs.aspx

    this sample page display records list in a Gridview , then whenever you
    select a record in Gridview, it will display details information in a
    DetailsView on the right side. We can also easily change it to a
    top/bottom layout page.

    Here are more examples about gridview and detailsview in quickstart
    tutorial:

    #DetailsView
    http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/doc/ctrlref/data/detailsview
    .aspx

    And you can find more samples in the ASP.NET data access turtorial which
    introduce more common ASP.NET data access page designing scenarios:

    #Data Access Tutorials
    http://www.asp.net/Learn/data-access/

    If you have any further specific questions on implementing the page or the
    data access code, please feel free to post here.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng, Jan 15, 2009
  5. Hi Steven

    Thank you for your reply.
    Your'e right on the spot and the tips you gave are exactly what I was
    looking for.

    Again, thanks.

    Best Regards
    --
    Peter Karlström
    Midrange AB

    Peter Karlström, Jan 15, 2009
  6. Peter Karlström

    Steven Cheng Guest

    Thanks for your reply Peter,

    I've also replied you in your new thread posted in ASP.NET newsgroup.
    Welcome to post any ASP.NET specfic questions there.

    Also, for classic ASP questions, feel free to post in this newsgroup:)

    Have a nice day!

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead