Need help getting start with a test cgi script.

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by packat, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. packat

    packat Guest

    I installed Perl 6 and am running Apache 2.0.39 on Windows
    xp (home edition),

    I am trying to get my first cgi script running. First I put
    a simple try.cgi in the directory
    C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\cgi-bin\try.cgi
    Then activate a browser pointing to the address

    http://localhost/cgi-bin/try.cgi

    But I got path cannot be displayed.

    The config file has the line ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/
    "C:/perl/eg/cgi-bin/"

    Can anyone help me find what was wrong?

    Thanks very much,
    packat
    packat, Mar 22, 2005

  2. packat

    John Bokma Guest

    John Bokma, Mar 22, 2005

  3. packat <> wrote:

    > I installed Perl 6

    I'm pretty sure that you did not.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Mar 22, 2005
  4. packat

    packat Guest

    Tad McClellan wrote:
    > packat <> wrote:
    >
    >> I installed Perl 6

    > I'm pretty sure that you did not.

    Ack! I am sorry, it is perl 5.8.4.
    Apache is configured the way it should. Perl works fine
    except for the CGI part.

    thanks,
    pac
    packat, Mar 22, 2005
  5. packat

    Trey Waters Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, packat wrote:

    > I am trying to get my first cgi script running. First I put
    > a simple try.cgi in the directory
    > C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\cgi-bin\try.cgi

    > The config file has the line ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:/perl/eg/cgi-bin/"
    >
    > Can anyone help me find what was wrong?

    This question appears to be related to misconfiguring Apache, and should
    probably be directed to a group dealing with Apache.

    As for your problem:

    The above discrepency sticks out for me....I haven't used Apache on Win,
    but on Unix the ScriptAlias declaration usually denotes where you put your
    CGI scripts; and you stated that you put your CGI script in a different
    location than you configured.

    Trey Waters
    Experience is the worst teacher.
    It always gives the test first and the instruction afterward.
    Trey Waters, Mar 22, 2005
  6. packat

    packat Guest

    Trey Waters wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, packat wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to get my first cgi script running. First I
    >> put
    >> a simple try.cgi in the directory
    >> C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\cgi-bin\try.cgi

    >> The config file has the line ScriptAlias cgi-bin
    >> "C:/perl/eg/cgi-bin/"
    >>
    >> Can anyone help me find what was wrong?

    > This question appears to be related to misconfiguring
    > Apache, and
    > should probably be directed to a group dealing with
    > Apache.
    >
    > As for your problem:
    >
    > The above discrepency sticks out for me....I haven't used
    > Apache on
    > Win, but on Unix the ScriptAlias declaration usually
    > denotes where
    > you put your CGI scripts; and you stated that you put your
    > CGI script
    > in a different location than you configured.
    > \

    I did try both SCRIPTALIAS configuration. Also restart
    Apache each time.
    Well, I also believe hte root cause is probably Apache
    config.
    Thanks for your comment,
    pac

    packat, Mar 23, 2005