    me I have the wrong version of windows.

    Thanks,

    Ted R
    Ted R, Oct 22, 2004

  2. Ted R

    rickman Guest

    Ted R wrote:

    > To comp.lang.vhdl group:
    >
    > I am an EE, but graduated just before my EE department started teaching
    > VHDL. I have a book, *The Student's Guide to VHDL*, but would be much more
    > confident if I had some way of verifying my circuits.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a cheap (preferably free) VHDL simulator? Reduced
    > capacity would be fine; I just need to simulate fairly simple circuits.
    >
    > I am running Windows98. I have found a few simulators that require Linux
    > and one (I wish I could remember the name) that I guess wanted XP...it told
    > me I have the wrong version of windows.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ted R

    The Xilinx Webpack tools provide a limited (crippled) Modelsim simulator
    which works very well. But their current tools won't install under
    Win98, IIRC. They used to support Win98. If you find an older copy, it
    should work. I'm not sure, but I expect version 4.x might still install
    under Win98. They are currently at 6.3.

    Looks like v5.1 and v4.2 are around on eMule if you know how to use
    that.

    --

    Rick "rickman" Collins

    removed.

    4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice
    Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
    rickman, Oct 22, 2004

  3. Ted R

    Leon Heller Guest

    "Ted R" <> wrote in message
    > To comp.lang.vhdl group:
    >
    > I am an EE, but graduated just before my EE department started teaching
    > VHDL. I have a book, *The Student's Guide to VHDL*, but would be much
    > more
    > confident if I had some way of verifying my circuits.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a cheap (preferably free) VHDL simulator? Reduced
    > capacity would be fine; I just need to simulate fairly simple circuits.
    >
    > I am running Windows98. I have found a few simulators that require Linux
    > and one (I wish I could remember the name) that I guess wanted XP...it
    > told
    > me I have the wrong version of windows.

    http://www.symphonyeda.com/

    Leon
    --
    Leon Heller, G1HSM
    http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller
    Leon Heller, Oct 23, 2004
  4. Ted R

    Rob Young Guest

    "Ted R" <> wrote in message news:<HNeed.8749$>...
    > To comp.lang.vhdl group:
    >
    > I am an EE, but graduated just before my EE department started teaching
    > VHDL. I have a book, *The Student's Guide to VHDL*, but would be much more
    > confident if I had some way of verifying my circuits.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a cheap (preferably free) VHDL simulator? Reduced
    > capacity would be fine; I just need to simulate fairly simple circuits.
    >
    > I am running Windows98. I have found a few simulators that require Linux
    > and one (I wish I could remember the name) that I guess wanted XP...it told
    > me I have the wrong version of windows.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ted R

    Ted,

    You can get pretty complete packages for entry (VHDL, ABLE,
    schematic), synthesis and simulation from both Xilinx and Altera. But
    both require Windows 2000 or XP for the free stuff.

    I seem to remember googling some VHDL simulators that ran under Linux
    but it was a work in progress thing. Remember, Google is your friend.

    That said, I suggest you save your money and get yourself a new PC to
    run WinXP (configure for dual boot with Linux). You can get a
    reasonably decent machine for less than $1000, less than $500 if you
    shop around or do some of the work yourself.

    It will just make your task easier if you can get your hands on an XP
    machine (not an advertisement for Microsoft, so remember to make a
    Linux partition).

    If you can't scrape together $500 for a new PC, then try and make
    friends with some application engineers at either Xillinx or Altera,
    maybe they can find you an old version of their free software on CD-R.
    Undistributed ones are probably lying around in desk drawers
    someplace.

    Rob Young
    Rob Young, Oct 23, 2004