Need help getting started !!!

Ted R

To comp.lang.vhdl group:

I am an EE, but graduated just before my EE department started teaching
VHDL. I have a book, *The Student's Guide to VHDL*, but would be much more
confident if I had some way of verifying my circuits.

Does anyone know of a cheap (preferably free) VHDL simulator? Reduced
capacity would be fine; I just need to simulate fairly simple circuits.

I am running Windows98. I have found a few simulators that require Linux
and one (I wish I could remember the name) that I guess wanted XP...it told
me I have the wrong version of windows.

Thanks,

Ted R

rickman

Ted said:
To comp.lang.vhdl group:

I am an EE, but graduated just before my EE department started teaching
VHDL. I have a book, *The Student's Guide to VHDL*, but would be much more
confident if I had some way of verifying my circuits.

Does anyone know of a cheap (preferably free) VHDL simulator? Reduced
capacity would be fine; I just need to simulate fairly simple circuits.

I am running Windows98. I have found a few simulators that require Linux
and one (I wish I could remember the name) that I guess wanted XP...it told
me I have the wrong version of windows.

Thanks,

Ted R

The Xilinx Webpack tools provide a limited (crippled) Modelsim simulator
which works very well. But their current tools won't install under
Win98, IIRC. They used to support Win98. If you find an older copy, it
should work. I'm not sure, but I expect version 4.x might still install
under Win98. They are currently at 6.3.

Looks like v5.1 and v4.2 are around on eMule if you know how to use
that.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

(e-mail address removed)
removed.

4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice
Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX

Leon Heller

Ted R said:
To comp.lang.vhdl group:

I am an EE, but graduated just before my EE department started teaching
VHDL. I have a book, *The Student's Guide to VHDL*, but would be much
more
confident if I had some way of verifying my circuits.

Does anyone know of a cheap (preferably free) VHDL simulator? Reduced
capacity would be fine; I just need to simulate fairly simple circuits.

I am running Windows98. I have found a few simulators that require Linux
and one (I wish I could remember the name) that I guess wanted XP...it
told
me I have the wrong version of windows.

http://www.symphonyeda.com/

Leon

Rob Young

Ted R said:
To comp.lang.vhdl group:

I am an EE, but graduated just before my EE department started teaching
VHDL. I have a book, *The Student's Guide to VHDL*, but would be much more
confident if I had some way of verifying my circuits.

Does anyone know of a cheap (preferably free) VHDL simulator? Reduced
capacity would be fine; I just need to simulate fairly simple circuits.

I am running Windows98. I have found a few simulators that require Linux
and one (I wish I could remember the name) that I guess wanted XP...it told
me I have the wrong version of windows.

Thanks,

Ted R

Ted,

You can get pretty complete packages for entry (VHDL, ABLE,
schematic), synthesis and simulation from both Xilinx and Altera. But
both require Windows 2000 or XP for the free stuff.

I seem to remember googling some VHDL simulators that ran under Linux
but it was a work in progress thing. Remember, Google is your friend.

That said, I suggest you save your money and get yourself a new PC to
run WinXP (configure for dual boot with Linux). You can get a
reasonably decent machine for less than $1000, less than $500 if you
shop around or do some of the work yourself.

It will just make your task easier if you can get your hands on an XP
machine (not an advertisement for Microsoft, so remember to make a
Linux partition).

If you can't scrape together $500 for a new PC, then try and make
friends with some application engineers at either Xillinx or Altera,
maybe they can find you an old version of their free software on CD-R.
Undistributed ones are probably lying around in desk drawers
someplace.

Rob Young
(e-mail address removed)