need help in object orientated programming

Discussion in 'C++' started by alck1234@gmail.com, Jul 10, 2008.

    I need help on my mini project on object orientated programming. The
    question goes like this:
    A mini-mart has just installed a bar code reader to improve efficiency
    at their checkouts.
    Assume that the bar code is to access a file that store the product
    descriptions, unit price
    and quantity of each product sold in the shop. Assume that there are
    only 10 products in
    this mini-mart.
    The format of the product stored in the file is shown below :
    Barcode : a text string of 4 numeric character
    Product description : a text string of 20 characters
    Unit price : a floating point value
    Quantity : an integer
    Design the necessary classes and member functions to achieve the
    following tasks :
    a. Read the list of products available in the mini-mart from a text
    file.
    b. Allow user to enter the bar code of a product via keyboard and the
    quantity
    purchase during check out.
    c. Display the product description, unit price, quantity and the total
    cost of all the
    products bought by a customer.
    d. Update the quantity of each product in stock after a purchase is
    done.
    e. Write the bar code and product description to a text file if the
    level of stock is less
    than 10.
    f. Continue the program until user press a ‘Q’ to exit.

    Please enlighten me on how can i start to write the program?

    Thanks alot
    , Jul 10, 2008

  2. red floyd Guest

    red floyd, Jul 10, 2008

  3. Daniel T. Guest

    On Jul 10, 11:45 am, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need help on my mini project on object orientated programming. The
    > question goes like this:
    > A mini-mart has just installed a bar code reader to improve efficiency
    > at their checkouts.
    > Assume that the bar code is to access a file that store the product
    > descriptions, unit price
    > and quantity of each product sold in the shop. Assume that there are
    > only 10 products in
    > this mini-mart.
    > The format of the product stored in the file is shown below :
    > Barcode : a text string of 4 numeric character
    > Product description : a text string of 20 characters
    > Unit price : a floating point value
    > Quantity : an integer
    > Design the necessary classes and member functions to achieve the
    > following tasks :
    > a. Read the list of products available in the mini-mart from a text
    > file.
    > b. Allow user to enter the bar code of a product via keyboard and the
    > quantity
    > purchase during check out.
    > c. Display the product description, unit price, quantity and the total
    > cost of all the
    > products bought by a customer.
    > d. Update the quantity of each product in stock after a purchase is
    > done.
    > e. Write the bar code and product description to a text file if the
    > level of stock is less
    > than 10.
    > f. Continue the program until user press a ‘Q’ to exit.
    >
    > Please enlighten me on how can i start to write the program?

    The first thing I think I would do is get a sense of what the input
    and output should look like. Including the files you are supposed to
    read from and write to.

    Use notebook paper or a word processor document and make something
    that looks like a typical program run.

    BTW, this question is off topic here. You should probably post on
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ or some such.
    Daniel T., Jul 10, 2008
  4. osmium Guest

    <> wrote:

    <extract follows>
[...]

    <end extract>

    We don't know what you have been taught so far, e.g., are you supposed to
    use C++ strings or C strings? C arrays or C++ vectors? My guess is that
    you are expected to use the C version of things.

    Start by defining a struct to hold a record. It is fundamental to most of
    the other stuff. You will probably have an array of these structures.

    It looks like your instructor got tired of writing before he finished the
    specification. There is no means of producing an initial data base (it
    wasn't inherited as the scan code is new). There is no means of specifying
    the end of one customer and the beginning of another customer. There is no
    way of saving the data base at the end of a business day. You might as well
    let your imagination take over and finish it per your desires. Sketch the
    menu you plan to present to the user. Does it seem complete?

    I see only one class, call it DB for data base. It would have a few member
    functions; note that there is not a 1:1 correlation between menu items and
    member functions. For example, I would subsume 'd' under 'b' and 'e' under
    'd'.

    Rather than make an issue of the initial data base, it might be simpler to
    just create one with the text editor you use to write programs. So it would
    not be a line item on the menu.

    Obviously if there are things that don't make sense to you in the
    assignment, you are in a bad position to start writing a program. Maybe
    the instructor covered some of these things that bother me in class.
    osmium, Jul 10, 2008
  5. James Kanze Guest

    On Jul 10, 6:46 pm, Victor Bazarov <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I need help on my mini project on object orientated
    > > programming. The question goes like this:
    > > A mini-mart has just installed a bar code reader to improve efficiency
    > > at their checkouts.
    > > Assume that the bar code is to access a file that store the product
    > > descriptions, unit price
    > > and quantity of each product sold in the shop. Assume that there are
    > > only 10 products in
    > > this mini-mart.
    > > The format of the product stored in the file is shown below :
    > > Barcode : a text string of 4 numeric character
    > > Product description : a text string of 20 characters
    > > Unit price : a floating point value
    > > Quantity : an integer
    > > Design the necessary classes and member functions to achieve the
    > > following tasks :
    > > a. Read the list of products available in the mini-mart from a text
    > > file.
    > > b. Allow user to enter the bar code of a product via keyboard and the
    > > quantity
    > > purchase during check out.
    > > c. Display the product description, unit price, quantity and the total
    > > cost of all the
    > > products bought by a customer.
    > > d. Update the quantity of each product in stock after a purchase is
    > > done.
    > > e. Write the bar code and product description to a text file if the
    > > level of stock is less
    > > than 10.
    > > f. Continue the program until user press a ?Q? to exit.

    > > Please enlighten me on how can i start to write the program?

    > Every program should contain the 'main' function, so you can
    > very easily start to write your program by typing the
    > following in your text editor:

    > int main()
    > {
    > }

    > If that's not a satisfactory answer, perhaps you should be
    > more specific on what it is that gives you the _real_ problem.
    > If you have no idea how to begin at all, perhaps you should
    > talk to your instructor/teacher?

    Even before that (and before worrying about whether he can use
    std::string or not), he should probably start by doing some
    design. Trying to determine what classes may or may not be
    necessary, for example. Obviously, some classes will be needed
    to represent the different data. I'd start there, and then try
    to define the interactions between them, either adding behavior
    to the existing classes, or adding additional classes with
    behavior to manage the relationships. (There are one or two
    points in the specification which are vague, of course, so he'll
    probably have to ask for more information. Just like in the
    real world:).)

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:
    James Kanze, Jul 11, 2008