Need Help in Preparing for Study of Python by Forrester Research

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jeff Rush, May 2, 2007.

  1. Jeff Rush

    Jeff Rush Guest

    Forrester Research is doing a study on dynamic languages and has asked that
    Python be represented. As advocacy coordinator I've volunteered to drive
    this, collecting answers from the community and locating representatives to
    participate in interviews.

    The goal of the study is to:

    - identify the criteria to use for evaluating such languages
    - identify the relevant choices of dynamic languages
    - identify how the different dynamic languages stack up
    - examine where dynamic languages work best

    Initially, they'd like feedback (not yet the answers themselves) from us
    regarding their proposed evaluation criteria - questions to add or that give
    no value, rewording to make them more clear. I've posted their draft
    criteria, which came as a spreadsheet at:

    http://dfwpython.org/uploads/ForresterPrep/DynamicLanguagesCriteria.xls

    Later, between May 8 and 25, the researchers will need to interview via 1-hour
    telephone calls, several developers with experience using Python. And they
    want to also interview one person with an executive viewpoint, able to
    describe relevant background, positioning, value proposition, customer base,
    and strategic vision.

    And later they would also like snippets of Python code that illustrate the
    power of Python, and I hope to call upon community members to help in
    producing that. The snippets do not have to be originally written and can be
    pulled from existing projects.

    But those steps come later. For now let's focus on analysis of the evaluation
    criteria at the above URL. Time is short as they'd like that feedback by May
    3, so please get any responses to me as soon as possible. And be thinking who
    would best represent the executive view of Python in an interview.

    Thanks for your help,

    Jeff Rush
    Advocacy Coordinator

    Jeff Rush, May 2, 2007

  2. Jeff Rush

    Jim Guest

    What does it pay?

    Jim, May 2, 2007

  3. Jeff Rush

    Duncan Booth Guest

    Jeff Rush <> wrote:

    > Initially, they'd like feedback (not yet the answers themselves) from
    > us regarding their proposed evaluation criteria - questions to add or
    > that give no value, rewording to make them more clear. I've posted
    > their draft criteria, which came as a spreadsheet at:
    >
    > http://dfwpython.org/uploads/ForresterPrep/DynamicLanguagesCriteria.x
    > ls

    That's a somewhat weird definition of polymorphism:

    > Polymorphism
    > Does the language support polymorphic behavior?
    > Measured by support for polymorphics behavior 5 = functions/methods
    > can be overridden and the developer can define identical function
    > names with different parameter sets. 1 = functions cannot be
    > overridden but identical function names with different parameter sets
    > can be defined 0 = functions cannot be overridden and only one
    > function can be defined with a given function name

    Polymorphism means you can write a single function which operates with
    different data types, not that you can override methods or write multiple
    functions with the same name (that is known as overloading).

    Overriding and overloading are different things than polymorphism. If you
    want a separate question about overriding then your criteria are still a
    bit strange: Python methods can be overridden but not overloaded[*] so none
    of your possible answers applies.

    [*] Unless you write some code to support overloading, which is easy enough
    to do but not something most people bother with.

    Duncan Booth, May 2, 2007