Need help on AoH or array or any other help I can get for this task

cyrusgreats

Hello good people out there. I need to write a perl script that will
parse the log and generate the following output:
a flat text file in the following format: customer_name|
product_category|item_description|cost
An example log file could be:
Pedro|groceries|apple|1.42
Nitin|tobacco|cigarettes|15.00
Susie|groceries|cereal|5.50
Susie|groceries|milk|4.75
Susie|tobacco|cigarettes|15.00
Susie|fuel|gasoline|44.90
Pedro|fuel|propane|9.60

1.A report of the total revenue resulting from each customer.
2.A report for each customer showing how much of their spending went
to each category.
With the above example log file, the script should output should be
something like:
Total Revenue:
Pedro - $11.02
Nitin - $15.00
Susie - $70.15

Purchases by Pedro:
groceries - $1.42
fuel - $9.60

Purchases by Nitin:
tobacco - $15.00

Purchases by Susie:
groceries - $10.25
fuel - $44.90
tobacco - $15.00

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;

my $file = "inventory";
open (FILE, $file) || die ("Could not open file. $!");

foreach my $line (FILE) {
my ($customer_name, $product_cat, $item_desc, $cost) = split("|",
$line);

what should I do here
Any help will be appreciated...million thanks in advance

Jürgen Exner

Hello good people out there. I need to write a perl script that will [...]
foreach my $line (FILE) {
my ($customer_name, $product_cat, $item_desc, $cost) = split("|",
$line);

what should I do here

Ask the person who assigned the home work to you, maybe?

jue

Tad J McClellan

foreach my $line (FILE) { ^^^^
my ($customer_name, $product_cat, $item_desc, $cost) = split("|",
$line);

what should I do here

You should first get the code that you do have to work...