Need help on Master Pages.

Learner

Hello ,
I have a Master page defined with three content place holders.

one on the left side to provide the links for the site navigation
one on the top to display who logged in
and on at the bottom to display the acutal content when a link was
clicked.

Now, my client is asking me to provide a link (hide and unhide) some
where on the page to hide the links part content place holder that
displays the links on the left side. I checked it but the only option I
could find was just the visible property of the ContentPlaceHolder. The
problem with this is we can make it visible or not visible but it still
occupies the space thats actully being occupied when it was in
visible=true mode. Client wants to save the space because they want to
avoid the horizontal scrolling.

Any ideas on how we can do that?

Thanks in advance.
-L