Need help protecting data

Diego Bernardes

Hi

I need protect some data like photos and musics from a game, i really
dont know how to do this, i was thinking in something like this, take
the photo, translate to a string and store in the database and the
database will be the mongoose. Have any other more efficient way?

Thx :)

Rodrigo Bermejo

Diego said:
Hi

I need protect some data like photos and musics from a game, i really
dont know how to do this, i was thinking in something like this, take
the photo, translate to a string and store in the database and the
database will be the mongoose. Have any other more efficient way?

Thx :)

( Not sure if I understood )
you can create a compressed package of what you want to protect ( a rare
format will be better), and then just change the extension of the file
to mislead the offenders.

Diego Bernardes

Rodrigo said:
( Not sure if I understood )
you can create a compressed package of what you want to protect ( a rare
format will be better), and then just change the extension of the file
to mislead the offenders.

Hehe, i made a test with openssl and storing in mongoose, i think ppl
will never, ever open it, but, well, its impossible to made a game with
it XD on my notebook (celeron 1.5ghz) took 1 sec to read the data inside
the database, decrypt and open it ( not a big file, 150k ), well in game
its not less then 10mb per map, so....
yea i will keep searching for a better solution =/

Eleanor McHugh

Hehe, i made a test with openssl and storing in mongoose, i think ppl
will never, ever open it, but, well, its impossible to made a game
with
it XD on my notebook (celeron 1.5ghz) took 1 sec to read the data
inside
the database, decrypt and open it ( not a big file, 150k ), well in
game
its not less then 10mb per map, so....
yea i will keep searching for a better solution =/

OpenSSL performance is very dependent on the strength of key you use,
not to mention that it's a ropey library anyway :)

You'll improve performance a bit by storing your encrypted game data
in standard flat files and breaking it into lots of smaller files
which decrypt on demand. Also for text data you'd be advised to
compress it first before encrypting as that reduces the amount of data
you have to encrypt and beyond a certain critical threshold should
overall reduce processing time.

On the encryption front, use one of the symmetric cyphers - they're
not particularly secure but they're usually computationally much less
intensive that public/private key crypto.

The one big problem you'll have to address though is how you're going
to hide the keys so that players can't tamper. For network traffic
this is easy (there's a solution using a roll-your-own Hybrid Key
Infrastructure in the presentation I pointed you to) but for
distributed applications the keys have to reside on the machine
running the application and are therefore easily discovered...

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains

Diego Bernardes

Eleanor said:
[...]

Elllie, you helping me alot :) i love ruby community

The big problem is to make the decryt fast, because the client never
gonna change the files, just read, only when the client update, but this
dont really need to be fast

I need more time to study, your slides seams very nice but im without
time to read it >.< tomorrow i will!

I really like the maplestory system, well, it is very fast to read, ppl
just fully cracked it now in the xentax forum, ive attached the source
of the program to crack it, its write in python, when have a update take
years to make the data.wz ( the file with all maple data ), now isnt one
file with all the data, the nexon slipt in more files like map, mob,
char, item,..
The .wz files use ZLIB

Hrrrr i need a safe and fast to read way to store the game data,
hrrrrr....

Thx alot for the help :) really thx :)

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/1584/dump.py

Diego Bernardes

Hrr im a noob XD Now i know why the encrypt and decrypt was so slow >.<
i was using DES, hrrrr
Now with AES-256 i could decrypt 500mb of data in only 12sec with my
slow notebook using a 9 character pass o_O lol this is fast, more than i
was expecting and its very safe :) im in love
Now the problem is to store data in a file, need look around to see more
stuffs :)