    the photo, translate to a string and store in the database and the
    database will be the mongoose. Have any other more efficient way?

    Thx :)

    Diego Bernardes, Mar 12, 2008

  2. Diego Bernardes wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I need protect some data like photos and musics from a game, i really
    > dont know how to do this, i was thinking in something like this, take
    > the photo, translate to a string and store in the database and the
    > database will be the mongoose. Have any other more efficient way?
    >

    > Thx :)

    ( Not sure if I understood )
    you can create a compressed package of what you want to protect ( a rare
    format will be better), and then just change the extension of the file
    to mislead the offenders.

    Rodrigo Bermejo, Mar 13, 2008

  3. Rodrigo Bermejo wrote:
    > Diego Bernardes wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I need protect some data like photos and musics from a game, i really
    >> dont know how to do this, i was thinking in something like this, take
    >> the photo, translate to a string and store in the database and the
    >> database will be the mongoose. Have any other more efficient way?
    >>

    >> Thx :)

    > ( Not sure if I understood )
    > you can create a compressed package of what you want to protect ( a rare
    > format will be better), and then just change the extension of the file
    > to mislead the offenders.

    Hehe, i made a test with openssl and storing in mongoose, i think ppl
    will never, ever open it, but, well, its impossible to made a game with
    it XD on my notebook (celeron 1.5ghz) took 1 sec to read the data inside
    the database, decrypt and open it ( not a big file, 150k ), well in game
    its not less then 10mb per map, so....
    yea i will keep searching for a better solution =/

    Diego Bernardes, Mar 13, 2008
  4. On 13 Mar 2008, at 17:44, Diego Bernardes wrote:
    > Hehe, i made a test with openssl and storing in mongoose, i think ppl
    > will never, ever open it, but, well, its impossible to made a game
    > with
    > it XD on my notebook (celeron 1.5ghz) took 1 sec to read the data
    > inside
    > the database, decrypt and open it ( not a big file, 150k ), well in
    > game
    > its not less then 10mb per map, so....
    > yea i will keep searching for a better solution =/

    OpenSSL performance is very dependent on the strength of key you use,
    not to mention that it's a ropey library anyway :)

    You'll improve performance a bit by storing your encrypted game data
    in standard flat files and breaking it into lots of smaller files
    which decrypt on demand. Also for text data you'd be advised to
    compress it first before encrypting as that reduces the amount of data
    you have to encrypt and beyond a certain critical threshold should
    overall reduce processing time.

    On the encryption front, use one of the symmetric cyphers - they're
    not particularly secure but they're usually computationally much less
    intensive that public/private key crypto.

    The one big problem you'll have to address though is how you're going
    to hide the keys so that players can't tamper. For network traffic
    this is easy (there's a solution using a roll-your-own Hybrid Key
    Infrastructure in the presentation I pointed you to) but for
    distributed applications the keys have to reside on the machine
    running the application and are therefore easily discovered...

    Ellie

    Eleanor McHugh
    Games With Brains
    ----

    Eleanor McHugh, Mar 13, 2008
  5. Eleanor McHugh wrote:
    > On 13 Mar 2008, at 17:44, Diego Bernardes wrote:
    >> Hehe, i made a test with openssl and storing in mongoose, i think ppl
    >> will never, ever open it, but, well, its impossible to made a game
    >> with
    >> it XD on my notebook (celeron 1.5ghz) took 1 sec to read the data
    >> inside
    >> the database, decrypt and open it ( not a big file, 150k ), well in
    >> game
    >> its not less then 10mb per map, so....
    >> yea i will keep searching for a better solution =/

    > OpenSSL performance is very dependent on the strength of key you use,
    > not to mention that it's a ropey library anyway :)
    >
    > You'll improve performance a bit by storing your encrypted game data
    > in standard flat files and breaking it into lots of smaller files
    > which decrypt on demand. Also for text data you'd be advised to
    > compress it first before encrypting as that reduces the amount of data
    > you have to encrypt and beyond a certain critical threshold should
    > overall reduce processing time.
    >
    > On the encryption front, use one of the symmetric cyphers - they're
    > not particularly secure but they're usually computationally much less
    > intensive that public/private key crypto.
    >
    > The one big problem you'll have to address though is how you're going
    > to hide the keys so that players can't tamper. For network traffic
    > this is easy (there's a solution using a roll-your-own Hybrid Key
    > Infrastructure in the presentation I pointed you to) but for
    > distributed applications the keys have to reside on the machine
    > running the application and are therefore easily discovered...
    >

    > Ellie
    >
    > Eleanor McHugh
    > Games With Brains
    > ----
    > raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason

    Elllie, you helping me alot :) i love ruby community

    The big problem is to make the decryt fast, because the client never
    gonna change the files, just read, only when the client update, but this
    dont really need to be fast

    I need more time to study, your slides seams very nice but im without
    time to read it >.< tomorrow i will!

    I really like the maplestory system, well, it is very fast to read, ppl
    just fully cracked it now in the xentax forum, ive attached the source
    of the program to crack it, its write in python, when have a update take
    years to make the data.wz ( the file with all maple data ), now isnt one
    file with all the data, the nexon slipt in more files like map, mob,
    char, item,..
    The .wz files use ZLIB

    Hrrrr i need a safe and fast to read way to store the game data,
    hrrrrr....

    Thx alot for the help :) really thx :)

    Attachments:
    http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/1584/dump.py

    Diego Bernardes, Mar 13, 2008
  6. Hrr im a noob XD Now i know why the encrypt and decrypt was so slow >.<
    i was using DES, hrrrr
    Now with AES-256 i could decrypt 500mb of data in only 12sec with my
    slow notebook using a 9 character pass o_O lol this is fast, more than i
    was expecting and its very safe :) im in love
    Now the problem is to store data in a file, need look around to see more
    stuffs :)

    Diego Bernardes, Mar 14, 2008