NEED HELP SETTING UP TOMCAT 4.1.29

Marc

Hi,

I've got a test prep book and I'm trying to prepare for the Sun
Certified Web Component Developer exam. Unfortunately, I've run into
a problem with Tomcat.

The problem that I've run into is that I can't get a simple HelloWorld
servlet to work (Yes, I know. It's pretty embarrassing). The problem
is that Tomcat tells me "404 resource not available" whenever I try to
access the servlet:

http://localhost:8080/chapter01/servlet/HelloWorldServlet

I've placed the servlet class file (Copied it straight off the CD that
came with the book) in my
D:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29\webapps\chapter01\WEB-INF\classes directory
and I've placed the web.xml file in my
D:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29\webapps\chapter01\WEB-INF directory.

The web.xml file reads:

<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>

<display-name>chapter01</display-name>
<description>
Chapter 01 Example Servlet.
</description>

<servlet>
<servlet-name>HelloWorldServlet</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>HelloWorldServlet</servlet-class>
</servlet>

</web-app>

I'm pretty sure I've set up Tomcat correctly because I can get to the
simple JSP page located at http://localhost:8080/index.jsp and I can
log in and play around with the Tomcat Web Application Manager. I've
used the Web Application Manager to stop and start and reload the
chapter01 application I don't know how many times.

Any help that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

Guest

You might miss servlet mapping:

<servlet>
<servlet-name>HelloWorld</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>HelloWorld</servlet-class>
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>HelloWorld</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/servlet/HelloWorld</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>
<servlet>

Markku Salminen

is that Tomcat tells me "404 resource not available" whenever I try to
access the servlet:

http://localhost:8080/chapter01/servlet/HelloWorldServlet

I've placed the servlet class file (Copied it straight off the CD that
came with the book) in my
The web.xml file reads:

<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>

<display-name>chapter01</display-name>
<description>
Chapter 01 Example Servlet.
</description>

<servlet>
<servlet-name>HelloWorldServlet</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>HelloWorldServlet</servlet-class>
</servlet>

You also need servlet mapping:

<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>HelloWorldServlet</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/HelloWorld</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

Then deploy your app again and try:
http://localhost:8080/chapter01/servlet/HelloWorld

If it still not working then check your context root.

hiwa

[...]

You are using invoker servlet. Isn't it disabled in Tomcat config?
Also, you may need servlet-mapping entry in the web.xml file.

Marc

Thank you very much Markku!

I made the change you suggested below. I am able to get my Hello
World page by pointing my browser to this address:

http://localhost:8080/chapter01/HelloWorld

The book I am using to study for the exam did not mention that I
needed <servlet-mapping> in my web.xml file (The book does not even
mention servlet-mapping until chapter 5).

Thanks again,
Marc

Marc

Thank you very much Jan!

I also made the change you suggested below. I am able to get my Hello
World page by pointing my browser to this address:

http://localhost:8080/chapter01/servlet/HelloWorld

The book I am using to study for the exam did not mention that I
needed <servlet-mapping> in my web.xml file (The book does not even
mention servlet-mapping until chapter 5).

Thanks again,
Marc

Marc

Thank you for your help Hiwa. As it turns out, servlet mapping was
needed in the web.xml file.

The book I am using to study for the exam did not mention that I
needed <servlet-mapping> in my web.xml file (The book does not even
mention servlet-mapping until chapter 5).

I might try playing around with Tomcat's config file a little later
when I've got some more confidence. For now I'm just happy it works.

Thanks again,
Marc