Need help: simple way for newbie to update a page

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jim Royal, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. Jim Royal

    Jim Royal Guest

    A while ago, I put up a site for a client that had a very simple
    mechanism for providing a small bit of dynamic content. I'm looking for
    something better.

    The front page of the site has a weekly specials column. The entire
    site is unchanging aside from this small list of sales. I didn't feel
    that a CMS for such a simple site was warrented (and the client
    previously had a bad experience with a proprietary CMS and was leery of
    it). So I created a text file for the specials that I include using
    SSI. The text file is formated like this:

    And so on. It was my intention that a secretary could update this page
    on a regular basis with an hour of training. Six months later, we're
    finally getting around to training her.

    However, it now looks like the company wants to create customized
    landing pages for some of its clients. And I'm thinking that while
    updating one such text file would be manageable for the secretary,
    multiple ones might easily confuse her.

    So I'm looking for suggestions. The vast majority of the site will
    remain static. There's no need to rebuild the site using a CMS. But is
    there anything that would make this small amount of updating easier on
    the company's staff?

    --
    Jim Royal
    "Understanding is a three-edged sword"

    Jim Royal, Jul 20, 2005

  2. Jim Royal

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Jim Royal quothed

    > A while ago, I put up a site for a client that had a very simple
    > mechanism for providing a small bit of dynamic content. I'm looking for
    > something better.
    >
    > The front page of the site has a weekly specials column. The entire
    > site is unchanging aside from this small list of sales. I didn't feel
    > that a CMS for such a simple site was warrented (and the client
    > previously had a bad experience with a proprietary CMS and was leery of
    > it). So I created a text file for the specials that I include using
    > SSI. The text file is formated like this:

    > And so on. It was my intention that a secretary could update this page
    > on a regular basis with an hour of training. Six months later, we're
    > finally getting around to training her.
    >
    > However, it now looks like the company wants to create customized
    > landing pages for some of its clients. And I'm thinking that while
    > updating one such text file would be manageable for the secretary,
    > multiple ones might easily confuse her.
    >
    > So I'm looking for suggestions. The vast majority of the site will
    > remain static. There's no need to rebuild the site using a CMS. But is
    > there anything that would make this small amount of updating easier on
    > the company's staff?

    Uh, what's a "CMS"?

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Jul 20, 2005

  3. Jim Royal

    Wÿrm Guest

    "Neredbojias" <> kirjoitti
    viestissä:...

    <snip>
    > Uh, what's a "CMS"?

    Content Management System

    Wÿrm, Jul 20, 2005
  4. Jim Royal

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Wÿrm quothed

    > > Uh, what's a "CMS"?

    > Content Management System

    Thanks, Wyrm. (I really didn't know though probably should've figured
    it out.) Glad it wasn't anything like "PMS".

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Jul 21, 2005
  5. Jim Royal

    Guest

    Jim Royal wrote:
    > I didn't feel that a CMS for such a simple site was warrented (and
    > the client previously had a bad experience with a proprietary CMS
    > and was leery of it).
    >
    > it now looks like the company wants to create customized
    > landing pages for some of its clients.
    >
    > The vast majority of the site will
    > remain static. There's no need to rebuild the site using a CMS. But is
    > there anything that would make this small amount of updating easier on
    > the company's staff?

    It seems like anything you do *will* be a CMS. There's no need to
    completely overhaul the site, just set up a system that will simplify
    updating for the things that need updated.

    , Jul 22, 2005
  6. Jim Royal

    data64 Guest

    Jim Royal <> wrote in news:200720050804018902%
    :

    > And so on. It was my intention that a secretary could update this page
    > on a regular basis with an hour of training. Six months later, we're
    > finally getting around to training her.
    >
    > However, it now looks like the company wants to create customized
    > landing pages for some of its clients. And I'm thinking that while
    > updating one such text file would be manageable for the secretary,
    > multiple ones might easily confuse her.

    Will the information that needs to updated on the landing pages be the same
    or is it vastly different for each page. If it is the same, then something
    like server side includes would work.

    data64

    data64, Jul 22, 2005
  7. Jim Royal

    Jim Royal Guest

    In article <Xns969BBF716BC69Data64privacynet@127.0.0.1>, data64
    <> wrote:

    > Will the information that needs to updated on the landing pages be the same
    > or is it vastly different for each page. If it is the same, then something
    > like server side includes would work.

    I'm already using Server Side Includes, as I stated in my original
    posting.

    The issue is coming up with a simple mechanism that allows a
    non-HTML-savvy person to make these small changes. This is a situation
    where a full-blown publishing engine is overkill.

    Jim Royal, Jul 24, 2005
  8. Jim Royal wrote:

    [...]
    > The issue is coming up with a simple mechanism that allows a
    > non-HTML-savvy person to make these small changes. This is a situation
    > where a full-blown publishing engine is overkill.

    Write out the data from a mysql database via php. If you look at the address
    in my sig, the news items on the home page are done this way. A
    non-HTML-savvy friend of mine logs in to an admin site where he can type
    into <input>'s and <textarea>'s. When he clicks 'Send' the db is updated
    and thus the page. The relevant php is merely slotted in to the html of the
    site preserving the original styling (such as it is :p ). It's actually
    slowly built up to a situation where he can now easily update most of the
    site without my intervention.
    hth

    regards,
    --