Need Help Starting Out

jmDesktop

Hi, I would like to start using Python, but am unsure where to begin.
I know how to look up a tutorial and learn the language, but not what
all technologies to use. I saw references to plain Python, Django,
and other things.

I want to use it for web building with database access. What do I use
for that? Does it matter what I use on the client side (mootools, or
whatever)?

My rational for using Python is because I am hoping it will allow me
to better understand other python programs in other areas, not just
web. I have used other languages for web apps for several years.
Truth is that I always wanted to learn Python and have heard it was a
good thing to know.

Thank you.

rodmc

Hi, I would like to start using Python, but am unsure where to begin.
I know how to look up a tutorial and learn the language, but not what
all technologies to use. I saw references to plain Python, Django,
and other things.

Hi,

For database stuff you can plug directly into either MySQL or SQLite.
For MySQL you need to install a third party library which you can get
from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python

I think SQLite support is now included in Python 2.5, all you need to
do is type "import sqlite3", and away it goes. You will of course need
to install SQLite, just search for it online. I found SQlite more than
sufficient for any single user non-web based apps. On the client side
you can use these library and if you like build a free standing app to
run everything.

For GUI toolkits you can do worse than download and install wxPython,
which again is free (www.wxpython.org). If you want to dabble in games
programming there is also PyGame.

If you want to build free standing applications you can use Py2Exe
(Windows) and Py2App (Mac), just Google them and they will appear. You
may at times find Python a little slow, and you can even get round
that problem in Windows and Intel based Macs by using Psyco (again
just Google). It can speed up your code by quite a large margin.

Hope these help you get started...

Rod

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

7

7stud

Hi, I would like to start using Python, but am unsure where to begin.
I know how to look up a tutorial and learn the language, but not what
all technologies to use.

I think you are getting ahead of yourself. Get the book Learning
Python(3rd edition), which just came out, and start at the beginning.
I think the proper order is to learn the basics first, then learn an
application of the language that you are interested in, i.e. web
programming.

Bruno Desthuilliers

jmDesktop a écrit :
Hi, I would like to start using Python, but am unsure where to begin.
I know how to look up a tutorial and learn the language, but not what
all technologies to use. I saw references to plain Python, Django,
and other things.

I want to use it for web building with database access. What do I use
for that? Does it matter what I use on the client side (mootools, or
whatever)?

Your best bets are probably Django, Pylons or web.py. But you should
learn enough of the core language itself before jumping in web stuff IMHO.

rodmc

Your best bets are probably Django, Pylons or web.py. But you should
learn enough of the core language itself before jumping in web stuff IMHO.

Yes, a good point.

If you are looking for general info then then "Dive Into Python" (a
link is on the Python website) is a good start for people who are
familiar with other programming languages. Otherwise I also found
"Python in a Nutshell" useful.

rod

Peter Decker

Hi, I would like to start using Python, but am unsure where to begin.
I know how to look up a tutorial and learn the language, but not what
all technologies to use. I saw references to plain Python, Django,
and other things.

I want to use it for web building with database access. What do I use
for that? Does it matter what I use on the client side (mootools, or
whatever)?

If you are going to be developing web applications, there are many
excellent frameworks available, all of which provide database support.
If you are looking to develop desktop applications, you should check
out Dabo (http://dabodev.com). They integrate data access and GUI
controls, making it simple to create database apps. They use wxPython
for the UI layer, but hide all of its ugliness, allowing you to
program to a clean, consistent API for your GUI.