Need help to install "linguistics" gem

Victor H. Goff III

Simply download it to your local drive... then do something like this:bash-3.2$
cd /cygdrive/d/Downloads/
bash-3.2$ gem install Linguistics-1.0.5.gem
Successfully installed Linguistics-1.0.5
1 gem installed

Specifically, for this instance, it was done on Windows using my Cygwin
environment.

Trans

Hi,

I have a problem with installing gem: linguistics.

sudo gem install linguistics

Gave me "not found" error. So I googled and found the source here.http://= www.deveiate.org/projects/Linguistics/
The gem seems to be located athttp://www.deveiate.org/code/Linguistics-1.= 0.5.gem

I don't know how I can install this gem.

I'm assuming you have RubyGems installed already. Just download
the .gem file and then use a terminal/console:

Linux:

$ sudo gem install Linguistics-1.0.5.gem

Windows:
gem install Linguistics-1.0.5.gem

T.

Hunt Jon

I'm still getting the same error.

I downloaded the "Linguistics-1.0.5.gem.tar" file on my desktop.
Then, I double-clicked and expanded and now there is a new directory
"Linguistics-1.0.5.gem" on my desktop.
Next, I launch Terminal and `cd` to desktop. `cd ~/Desktop`.

Then, I run

sudo gem install Linguistics-1.0.5.gem

The error I get is:

ERROR: could not find gem Linguistics-1.0.5.gem locally or in a repository

I wonder where gem is searching locally. I may need to place the .gem
directory somewhere specified.

I ran `gem environment` and here's output.

gem environment
RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.2.0
- RUBY VERSION: 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [i686-darwin9]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: /opt/local/bin/ruby
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /opt/local/bin
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86-darwin-9
- GEM PATHS:
- /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources => true
- :verbose => true
- :benchmark => false
- :backtrace => false
- :bulk_threshold => 1000
- :sources => ["http://gems.rubyforge.org/", "http://gems.github.com"]
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://gems.rubyforge.org/
- http://gems.github.com

Hunt Jon

Solved.

I opened up the directory "Linguistics-1.0.5.gem" and found two files
"metadata.tar.gz" and "data.gz".
I extracted both archives, and "cd"ed to "data" directory.

There I ran a command.

pwd #=> /Users/myusernamei/Desktop/Linguistics-1.0.5.gem/data
sudo gem install Linguistics

Now the installation was successful.

Thanks for your help, guys.