Need help understanding ASP.NET configuration error message

Dave Hall

Occasionally get the following configuration error message displayed in my
browser while developing a simple one page ASP.NET page. The page uses a
handfull of simple web controls, and seems to work fine most of the time.
Occasionally recompiling a change in the code will result in the following
error when I test the page. At that point, undoing the change to the code
doesn't fix the error. I can usually close Visual Studio and the browser,
then reopen the project, recompile, and continue with no problems. Any idea
what's happening, and what I can do to avoid it?

Thanks,
Dave

Line 196: <add assembly="System.EnterpriseServices,
Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
Line 197: <add assembly="System.Web.Mobile, Version=1.0.5000.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
Line 198: <add assembly="*"/>
Line 199: </assemblies>
Line 200: </compilation>

Source File:
c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\Config\machine.config Line:
198

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine
why the assembly 'microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols' could not be loaded.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols
(Partial)
LOG: Appbase = file:///c:/inetpub/wwwroot/MySchedule
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
Calling assembly : (Unknown).
===

LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom,
partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Post-policy reference: microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/Myschedule/fc5215f8/80ba20c7/microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/Myschedule/fc5215f8/80ba20c7/microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols/microsoft.we
b.ui.webcontrols.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///c:/inetpub/wwwroot/MySchedule/bin/microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols.DLL.
LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom,
partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Post-policy reference: Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, Version=1.0.2.226,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Dave,

You didn't include the error message in your post.

Is this an access denied error? If so, it could be caused by a
strong-named assembly being in the /bin folder. That is not supported.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Dave Hall

Sorry I forgot the actual error message. Yes, it is an "Access Denied"
error, but I don't think this is an issue with a strong typed assembly
because the only thing I do to cause the intermittant problem is change a
line or two of code and press <F5> to recompile and debug the ASP.NET
project. There aren't any browsers open with active sessions while I'm
recompiling, so I don't think it's a case of anything being cached from
before the compile. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

From: "Dave Hall" <[email protected]>
Subject: Need help understanding ASP.NET configuration error message
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 23:59:33 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols

[...]

Hi Dave,

I think it is in fact an issue with a strong-named assembly in the /bin
folder. The IE Web Controls are strong named. If you have the Copy Local
property set to true, you will run into this issue, but it will be random.
The reason for that is because of the way we load assemblies into the
application domain. Strong-named assemblies are not supported in the /bin
folder specifically for that reason.

From: "Dave Hall" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 23:59:33 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols

[...]

When I look at the properties for the reference to
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, it shows Strong Name = False. The version is
1.0.2.226 and the Runtime Version property is v1.1.4322 and the Description
property says "(Custom Build)". Should I be using a newer version of
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls that has a strong name, or am I misinterpreting
what that Strong Name property means?

By the way, I'm also using a reference to Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.
The version is 2.0.0.0, and it also has Strong Name = false.

The default references to System.Whatever have all got StrongName = true and
CopyLocal = false

In any case, I'll try turning off "Copy Local" for both costom references
and see if that fixes it.

Thanks,
Dave

From: "Dave Hall" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 23:59:33 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols

[...]

If I set "Copy Local = false" for Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, I get Parser
Error Message: File or assembly name Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, or one of
its dependencies, was not found. while processing Line 2: <%@ Register
TagPrefix="iewc" Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls"
Assembly="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls" %>

If I set "Copy Local = false" for Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data, I get
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name
Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data, or one of its dependencies, was not found.

Looks like I can't set Copy Local = false for either of them, but then
again, they both have Strong Name = False, so I don;t know if I'm chasing a
wild goose.

Any other ideas?
Dave

From: "Dave Hall" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 12:44:03 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Dave,

Okay, in that case you may have a later version that I did. I think the
newer version of the Web controls may not be strong-named. Sorry. Just
not sure since we don't support those controls. (I'm really not trying to
repeat "not supported" over and over.)

Perhaps you are encountering the following issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;329065

From: "Dave Hall" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 23:59:33 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols

Occasionally get the following configuration error message displayed in
my
browser while developing a simple one page ASP.NET page. The page
uses

Dave Hall

I don't mind trying a few things along the way, so there's no problem with
an occasional wild goose chase. I think the KB article you referenced may
describe the real issue though. The symptoms are intermittant like the ones
described in the article, and the explanation makes sense. I do have index
service running, so I've excluded the ASP.NET temp directories from being
indexed as described in the article. Only time will tell if that actually
resolves the problem I was encounteing, but I'm hopeful.

Thanks for your persistence.
Dave

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Thanks for the update, Dave. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

From: "Dave Hall" <[email protected]>