Need help with ASP.NET website administration tool! - Can't connect to the database when clicked on

Learner

Hello,
I am just trying to get some familiartity with ASP.NET website
Administration Tool and set up few users and roles. I launched the tool

and clicked on provider configuration link and it goes to the page that

has the link "Select a single provider for all site management data "
and then I clicke on it and it takes me to the page that has
AspNetSqlProvider radio button checked. I clicked on the link, test to
test the connection but its taking long to connect and finally it
couldn't connect to the database. I am not sure what credentials its
using to connect to the database.
This is the link I just copy and pasted thinking it might give any
inside of it.
http://localhost:1472/asp.netwebadminfiles/providers/ManageConsolidat...

When I used windows authentication to connect to the Managment Studio I

had no problem connecting to it. But I am not sure if the above process

trying to connect to the SQL Express by default. If it was then it
makes it sense. Becauase I have deleted SQL Express on my machine
before installing Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition.

If thats the case how do I can connect to the SQL Server 2005 from
the tool? Do I need to setup any think on my machine to have it
connected to the SQL Server 2005?

This is the error its throwing after a little while try connecting to
the databse

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make

sure you are connected.
Retype the address.
More information
This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
The website is temporarily unavailable.
The Domain Name Server is not reachable.
The Domain Name Server does not have a listing for the website's
domain.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click tools, click Internet
Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols

are enabled under the security section.

Any input is greatly appriciated.
Thanks
-L

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hi,

all SQL providers use a connection called "LocalSqlServer" which points to
a local SQL Sever Express User Instance. You can find this string in machine.config.

You have to change either the connection string, or the provider config to
use a different connection string.

Learner

Hello Dominick,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have done as you directed but no luck
yet and a I am not sure if I have done it right.
Here is the ConnectionStrings code from the machine.config file
<connectionStrings>
<!--<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data
source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated
Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User
Instance=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />-->

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data
source=.\DEV\SQLDM2005;Integrated
Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User
Instance=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
</connectionStrings>
In the above code I have commented out the original line of connection
string as you see and copy pasted the same line and changed the
datasource paramater to , data source=.\DEV\SQLDM2005 but I got the
same message as in my first post. DEV\SQLDM2005 is SQL Server 2005 and
DEV is our SQL Server 2000 so I tried using both the servers but no
luck.

Have I done it right in the machine.config file? And I am not familiar
how do I it in the provider config file either.

Please help.
Thanks
-L

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hi,

you have to remove the .\ at the beginning of the datasource name - and some
other junk

have you used the aspnet_regsql tool to create the database in sql server??
if not do it now :)

<add

name="LocalSqlServer"
connectionString="data source=DEV\SQLDM2005;initial catalog=aspnetdb;Integrated
Security=SSPI"
providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

Learner

Dominick,
Just now I have made a little change to the connection string

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data
source=.\DEV\SQLDM2005;Integrated
Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User
Instance=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

I changed data source=.\DEV\SQLDM2005 to data source=DEV\SQLDM2005
(just took out ".\" from data source value but not sure if I can do it
but just wanted to give it a try) and this time I got a different
message

"Could not establish a connection to the database.
If you have not yet created the SQL Server database, exit the Web Site
Administration tool, use the aspnet_regsql command-line utility to
create and configure the database, and then return to this tool to set
the provider. "

And also as I am trying to connect to my SQL Server 2005 developer
edition I also did try taking off the below parameter and its value

"AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;"

but it still convey the same message as above.

Any inputs on this too?

Thank you.
-L

Learner

Cool!!! I got it :)

the below connection string worked finally.

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data
source=DEV\SQLDM2005;Integrated Security=SSPI;initial catalog=aspnetdb"
providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

But I am not sure why it didn't work when it had "User Instance=true"
attribute in it. Is there a reason why it behaves differently when it
contains this attribute?

Thank you for the help.

-L

Learner

Hello Dominick,
I have a question regarding the web.config file in my project and
machine.config file.

Just to test I just copied the entire <connectionStrings> tag code
snippet from the machine config filie and pasted in the local
web.config file in my webproject and changed the connectionstring
attribute and when I went to the website/ASP.NET configuaration I
doesn't display the page and its throwing the page can't be displayed
error! It doesn't look like it recognises the local changes. But at the
same time I am not sure if I have done it right. When I comment this in
my local web.config file and put the changes in the machine.config and
it works fine. I am doing it right here? please suggest.

the below code is in my web.config file...
<connectionStrings>
<clear />
<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data
source=DEVI\SQLDM2005;Integrated Security=SSPI;initial
catalog=aspnetdb" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
</connectionStrings>

Thanks
-L

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

hi,

putting this snippet in your local web.config will overwrite the machine.config
connection string.

Learner

Dominick,
I am not sure if you udnerstood my previous post right. I said that
It doesn't work when I copy pasted the <connecetionString> attribute in
my web.config file. Here it is...
<configuation>
<connectionStrings>
<clear />
<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data
source=DEVI\SQLDM2005;Integrated Security=SSPI;initial
catalog=aspnetdb" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
</connectionStrings>
</configuration>

And the <connectionString> code in the achine.config is as below...

<connectionStrings>
<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data
source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated
Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User
Instance=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

<!--add name="LocalSqlServer"
connectionString="data source=DEV\SQLDM2005;initial
catalog=aspnetdb;Integrated
Security=SSPI"
providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />-->

</connectionStrings>

As you clearly see I have commented out the changed connectionstring in
the machine.config file. And the <connectionString> code in my
web.config file as you see on the top, to my understanding should
override the settings in machine.config file. But when I have these
things set up as is it doesn't work. I mean in other words it is not
recongnising the changes in my local web.config file.

Please suggest me how do I do it here.

Thanks
-L

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hi,

as i said - the local web.config overrides machine.config - there must be
something different wrong

try a

Response.Write(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["LocalSqlServer"].ConnectionString);

and see which connection string your application can "see".