Need help with audio library on DOS...

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by martoncho@gmail.com, Aug 24, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi all,

    I am facing what is for me a really complicated situation. I program C
    but not this advanced (I mean direct hardware access etc).
    Here is the background:
    I am using DJGPP.
    I am programming a DOS program that will play wave files on certain
    functions (moving through the menus, running functions, etc)
    Today's motherboards come with AC97 sound boards that do not have
    drivers compatible with DOS.
    MAME (a videogame emulator) does have a library that uses the AC97
    boards with no problems. It is named WSS and is made by Shigeaki
    Sakamaki (the email address of the author is unknown)
    I managed to make a standalone DOS wav player using the library. It
    works perfectly.
    I like to add the WSS library to the SEAL Audio library, which is
    another neat audio library that also has a mixer, filters and etc, and
    has functions for everything I need on my program. SEAL is here:
    http://www.sonicspot.com/sealsdk/sealsdk.html
    Here comes my problem:
    I added WSS to the SEAL library and it sounds, but SLOWLY, it looks as
    it is taking 100% of the CPU, and returns control to my program when it
    wants. The main functions are easy: openaudio for detecting and
    initializing the board (this one works great) and updateaudio which is
    called every clock_per_second from my program.
    Updateaudio is the issue here. I made a neat package with everything
    I'm using, and some examples, like the standalone player, my
    partially-working driver for SEAL and the driver I derived my work
    from, and the MAME code that makes use of WSS and has a working
    updateaudio function through it. Everything is commented and has a
    description. I've been stuck and fighting with this for more than a
    week and I'm on the point of needing help desperatedly. I can pay for
    the time needed to look at it and to point me in the right direction.
    Any help will be more than appreciated.

    Package is here: http://24.232.64.200/sources.zip (85kb)

    , Aug 24, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >I am facing what is for me a really complicated situation. I program C
    >but not this advanced (I mean direct hardware access etc).

    Anything to do with direct hardware access is platform specific,
    and should be inquired about in a platform-specific newsgroup.
    --
    "law -- it's a commodity"
    -- Andrew Ryan (The Globe and Mail, 2005/11/26)

    Walter Roberson, Aug 24, 2006

    Thanks for your reply, Walter.

    That was just "an example of what I can't program". The libraries I'm
    working with are all cross-platform. Anyway I'll also try on that
    newsgroup, thanks for the tip.

    Marton

    Walter Roberson ha escrito: