Need Help with base64

pycraze

Hi ,

I am currently trying to implement base64 encoding and decoding
scheme in C . Python has a module , base64 , that will do the
encoding and decoding with ease . I am aware of OpenSSL having support
for base64 encoding and decoding , but i will have to now implement
both in C without using the openssl libraries .

I was able to download a code w.r.t. base 64 encoding and
decoding . I am attaching the code below .

void encodeblock( unsigned char cin[3], unsigned char cout[4], int
nlen )
{

cout[0] = cb64[ cin[0] >> 2 ];
cout[1] = cb64[ ((cin[0] & 0x03) << 4) | ((cin[1] & 0xf0) >> 4) ];
cout[2] = (unsigned char) (nlen > 1 ? cb64[ ((cin[1] & 0x0f) << 2)
| ((cin[2] & 0xc0) >> 6) ] : '=');
cout[3] = (unsigned char) (nlen > 2 ? cb64[ cin[2] & 0x3f ] :
'=');

}

void decodeblock( unsigned char cin[4], unsigned char cout[3] )
{
cout[ 0 ] = (unsigned char ) (cin[0] << 2 | cin[1] >> 4);
cout[ 1 ] = (unsigned char ) (cin[1] << 4 | cin[2] >> 2);
cout[ 2 ] = (unsigned char ) (((cin[2] << 6) & 0xc0) | cin[3]);

}

int base641_decodestring(char* pcstr,int size,char** ppcdest)
{
unsigned char cin[4] = {""};
unsigned char cout[3] = {""};
unsigned char cv = 0;
int ni = 0;
int nlen = 0;
char* cptr = pcstr;
*ppcdest = malloc(sizeof(char)*160);
if (!*ppcdest)
{
return 1;
}
memset(*ppcdest,0,sizeof(char)*160);

char* pcstring = malloc( sizeof(char) * SIZE);
if (!pcstring)
{
aps_log("APS_log.txt","\nbae64.c:base64encode:malloc failed
\n");
return 1;
}
memset(pcstring,'\0',SIZE);

for( nlen = 0, ni = 0; ni < 4; ni++ )
{
cv = 0;
while( cv == 0 )
{
cv = (unsigned char) *cptr;
cv = (unsigned char) ((cv < 43 || cv > 122) ? 0 :
cd64[ cv - 43 ]);
if( cv )
{
cv = (unsigned char) ((cv == '$') ? 0 : cv - 61);
if( cptr++ )
{
nlen++;
if( cv )
{
cin[ ni ] = (unsigned char) (cv - 1);
else
{
cin[ni] = 0;
if( nlen )
{
decodeblock( cin, cout );

}
memcpy(*ppcdest,cout,160);
return 0;

}/*end of base64_decode */

char* base64_encode(char* pcstr)
{
unsigned char cin[3] = {""};
unsigned char cout[4] = {""};
int ni = 0;
int nlen = 0;
int flag = 1;
char* cptr = pcstr;
char* pcstring = malloc( sizeof(char) * SIZE);
if (!pcstring)
{
aps_log("APS_log.txt","\nbae64.c:base64encode:malloc failed
\n");
return (void*)0;
}
memset(pcstring,'\0',SIZE);
while( flag )
{
for( ni = 0; ni < 3; ni++ )
{
cin[ni] = (unsigned char)*cptr;
if( *++cptr != '\0' )
nlen++;
else
{
cin[ni] = 0;
flag = 0;
break;
encodeblock(cin, cout,nlen);
strcat(pcstring,cout);
}

return pcstring;

}/* end of base64_encode */

But this code gives different hex values as compared to the
python base64.encodestring and base64.decodestring respectively .

I need some help on this matter . I need some pointers on
where is the mistake for the above file .

Roland Pibinger

But this code gives different hex values as compared to the
python base64.encodestring and base64.decodestring respectively .
I need some help on this matter . I need some pointers on
where is the mistake for the above file .

It's usually easier to re-use existing code than to implement (and
debug) something from scratch. Several Base64 implementations are
available, e.g. http://www.synesis.com.au/software/b64.html

Mark Bluemel

pycraze said:
Hi ,

I am currently trying to implement base64 encoding and decoding
scheme in C . Python has a module , base64 , that will do the
encoding and decoding with ease . I am aware of OpenSSL having support
for base64 encoding and decoding , but i will have to now implement
both in C without using the openssl libraries .

I was able to download a code w.r.t. base 64 encoding and
decoding . I am attaching the code below .
[Snip]
But this code gives different hex values as compared to the
python base64.encodestring and base64.decodestring respectively .

I need some help on this matter . I need some pointers on
where is the mistake for the above file .

On a brief test your code seemed compatible with that bundled into the
MIME support in a Java environment I had to hand. Perhaps the Python
support is based on a different standard/RFC? You might wish to enquire
somewhere where Python is on topic.

Mark Bluemel

Roland said:
It's usually easier to re-use existing code

He did ... He said
I've downloaded and built the same code (it was easily found via Google)
and it seems to be compatible with the implementation in the Java
environment I have lying around, so I think the issue may be with the
way he's trying to use the Python implementation, but what do I know
about that?

pycraze

It's usually easier to re-use existing code than to implement (and
debug) something from scratch. Several Base64 implementations are
available, e.g.http://www.synesis.com.au/software/b64.html

Hi Roland ,

Thank you for your assistance . Python uses base64 encode and decode
schemes specified in RFC 3548 . I am looking to implement this in C .
In the link you have sent , the base64 library is according to RFC
1113 .

Mark Bluemel

Mark said:
pycraze said:
[...]

I also checked with Python to a limited extent and that also seems OK.
What problems are you having?

pycraze

Mark said:
pycraze wrote:
[...]

Roland ,

The python's base64 module gives me a different string as compared
the above C code . I am currently using OpenSSL library for the base64
encode and decode schemes . The OpenSSL gives similar output as
compared to python base64 when i encode the same input string .

I do not want to use OpenSSL library and would want to implement
now in pure C . So i am stuck with only this code . I get to see
numerous C codes that have implemented base64 encoding and decoding
schemes . I am looking particularly for the RFC 3548 specification of

pycraze said:
Thank you for your assistance . Python uses base64 encode and decode
schemes specified in RFC 3548 . I am looking to implement this in C .
In the link you have sent , the base64 library is according to RFC
1113 .

So is the code you downloaded...

A little examination shows that 3548 and 1113 are very similar. See
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc<number>.html

The encoding alphabet is identical between the two. I have not read the
specs in detail, but suspect the differences are related to things like
line length, line endings, padding rules and the like. With a little
study these small differences should be fairly easy to understand and
adapt your code for.

Mark Bluemel

pycraze said:
Mark Bluemel wrote:
[Snip]
Roland ,

I'm not Roland
The python's base64 module gives me a different string as compared
the above C code .

How different?
I am currently using OpenSSL library for the base64
encode and decode schemes . The OpenSSL gives similar output as
compared to python base64 when i encode the same input string .

I do not want to use OpenSSL library and would want to implement
now in pure C . So i am stuck with only this code . I get to see
numerous C codes that have implemented base64 encoding and decoding
schemes . I am looking particularly for the RFC 3548 specification of
base64 encoding and decoding .

I've posted a link elsewhere in the thread, but simply doing a Google
search for "RFC 3548" would have found it.

Keith Thompson

So, assuming they are different, which is the right one? A format
primarily created for exchange of data can hardly be used in different
variants.

That's a good question (assuming that they really are significantly
different), but it's not a C question.