Need help with calling custom Stored Proc from ASP.Net (VB.Net)

Jack Black

Help!! I'm trying to call a custom stored procedure from a VB.Net
code-behind page in an ASP.Net application, and I keep getting an
error with no real helpful info...

Basically, I'm accepting a username and password from a front-end, and
performing a simple INSERT into a SQL Server table via a custom stored
procedure in the database. All privileges are fine, and the stored
procedure works fine (inserts records perfectly; tested with both ASP
and SQL's QueryAnalyzer), so SQL Server can be ruled out (I think) as
part of the issue.

Here is the code I'm using:
Sub storeUserAccount(ByVal strUsername As String, ByVal _
strPasswordHash As String, ByVal strSaltValue As String, ByVal _
strOffice As String, ByRef objData As _
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection)

Dim objCommand As New SqlClient.SqlCommand("createUserAccount",
objData)
Dim objParameter As New SqlClient.SqlParameter

objParameter = objCommand.Parameters.Add("@userName",
SqlDbType.VarChar, 50)
objParameter.Value = strUsername

objParameter = objCommand.Parameters.Add("@passwordHash",
SqlDbType.VarChar, 1024)
objParameter.Value = strPasswordHash

objCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()

end sub

I know the data connection (OBJDATA) is open already because I perform
other functions before calling this method. The error being generated
(at the ExecuteNonQuery() method) is this:

Line 1: Incorrect syntax near createUserAccount.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Line 1:
Incorrect syntax near createUserAccount.

Help!! Any thoughts? :)
Jack

Guest

Not sure if this is the problem but You may need to tell it that it is a
stored procedure, something like
objCommand.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure

Jack Black

Paul, thanks for replying!

As soon as I saw your note, I just KNEW that I'd already included that
statement, because I remember typing it. Guess what?? ;-) I guess
I'd deleted it while tinkering with the code; once I put it back in,
the stored proc worked PERFECTLY! :)

Thanks again for keeping me honest! :D
Jack

Guest