Need help with direction on ASP.NET project

Peter

Howdy,

I have alot of programming experience but do not have alot of experience
with ASP.NET
web pages. What I am tasked to do is build a web page that has alot of
marketing survey
questions. You know the usual radio controls etc. Anyway I need to dump the
results
of the answers to those questions into a spreadsheet. Conceivably it would
be nice to
have an xml sheet specify the questions and the type of question. (e.g.
whether it is Yes/No
or a list to select from or something that is free form like a date). From
an application
standpoint it would be easy for me but to do it in web page I am struggling
a little bit.

Does this seem doable from a web page? I suspect it is but how would you
(*high level*)
approach it? Design customer web server controls that are invoked from an
ASP.NET
page? How do I also throw in the angle of making it customizable with say an
XML type
page? Anyone have any thoughts regarding approaching this? Also any pointers
to some
sample programs would also be of great help as well....

-Peter

Curt_C [MVP]

sure it's possible.
setting up a hierachy of questions, stored in XML is nothing major.
Specifying the types of questions (multi, y/n, etc) should be relatively the
same, and customizing it visually is again nothing too far out there.
Storing the answers into an XML would again be just another step. From that
XML you could write it to an <TABLE> that would easily convert to excell.
I guess I would start with the layout of the files. Think it through and
start to build a page that pulls in the file and displays the question.
I would say give it a whirl at starting and take it where you can. Then post
as you hit the individual issues....we'll help ya out.

Peter

Are you able to use a data base???

Actually I wish. You see the data can also come in through a third party
vendor
who FTP's us the info in spreadsheet form. I have previously written another
app that
reads that spreadsheet and puts it into our database. So I am leveraging
that existing
process by making an ASP.NET page that will tabulate information sent to us
from
paper surveys that get sent snailed mailed to our marketing department and
replicate
those aforementioned spreadsheets.

So yeah, it wouldn't be my first choice but it is an existing process and
key words here
are "marketing department" :)