need help with display

Discussion in 'HTML' started by mcnewsxp, Jun 19, 2012.

  1. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox or chrome:

    login in with test test at

    http://stellarschoolservices.org/

    click the SCHEDULE link

    TherapistsScheduler.aspx

    i am actual trying to make the <td>s the same size across the page.

    how to fix?

    tia,
    mcnewsxp
    mcnewsxp, Jun 19, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. mcnewsxp

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    mcnewsxp <> wrote:

    > the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox or chrome:
    >
    > login in with test test at
    >
    > http://stellarschoolservices.org/
    >
    > click the SCHEDULE link
    >
    > TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    >
    > i am actual trying to make the <td>s the same size across the page.
    >
    > how to fix?
    >


    If you really want, for some reason, to use a table this way and have
    the cells go down (rather than across as usual) but just want the text
    to fit in and all cells to look the same size: try something like
    width: 8em; and no height or a min-height (in px if you must! but best
    not)

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 19, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. dorayme wrote:

    > mcnewsxp wrote:
    >> the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox or chrome:
    >>
    >> login in with test test at
    >>
    >> http://stellarschoolservices.org/
    >>
    >> click the SCHEDULE link
    >>
    >> TherapistsScheduler.aspx


    Who are these rapists you want to schedule???

    >> i am actual trying to make the <td>s the same size across the page.
    >>
    >> how to fix?

    >
    > If you really want, for some reason, to use a table this way and have
    > the cells go down (rather than across as usual) but just want the text
    > to fit in and all cells to look the same size: try something like width:
    > 8em; and no height or a min-height (in px if you must! but best not)


    I'm wondering why he just doesn't use four <tr>, each with one <td>
    instead of trying to vertically fudge the display of a single row?
    Wouldn't that be a lot more logical?

    --
    -bts
    -This space for rent, but the price is high
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 19, 2012
    #3
  4. mcnewsxp

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 18:07:28 +0000 (UTC), Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    >> mcnewsxp wrote:
    >>> the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox or chrome:
    >>>
    >>> login in with test test at
    >>>
    >>> http://stellarschoolservices.org/
    >>>
    >>> click the SCHEDULE link
    >>>
    >>> TherapistsScheduler.aspx

    >
    > Who are these rapists you want to schedule???
    >
    >>> i am actual trying to make the <td>s the same size across the page.
    >>>
    >>> how to fix?

    >>
    >> If you really want, for some reason, to use a table this way and have
    >> the cells go down (rather than across as usual) but just want the text
    >> to fit in and all cells to look the same size: try something like width:
    >> 8em; and no height or a min-height (in px if you must! but best not)

    >
    > I'm wondering why he just doesn't use four <tr>, each with one <td>
    > instead of trying to vertically fudge the display of a single row?
    > Wouldn't that be a lot more logical?


    You just don't get it.
    There are 10 people in a line doing synchronous excercising.
    Except for one.
    And he says, "How come you guys can't get your act together?"
    richard, Jun 19, 2012
    #4
  5. richard the sto0pid wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> I'm wondering why he just doesn't use four <tr>, each with one <td>
    >> instead of trying to vertically fudge the display of a single row?
    >> Wouldn't that be a lot more logical?

    >
    > You just don't get it.


    I get it just fine, bullis.

    > There are 10 people in a line doing synchronous excercising. Except for
    > one.
    > And he says, "How come you guys can't get your act together?"


    Is that a quote of something someone posted about you? If anyone is the
    "odd man out" it is you.

    --
    -bts
    -This space for rent, but the price is high
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 19, 2012
    #5
  6. mcnewsxp

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jrqf50$en9$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > mcnewsxp wrote:
    > >> the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox or chrome:
    > >>
    > >> login in with test test at
    > >>
    > >> http://stellarschoolservices.org/
    > >>
    > >> click the SCHEDULE link
    > >>
    > >> TherapistsScheduler.aspx

    >
    > Who are these rapists you want to schedule???
    >
    > >> i am actual trying to make the <td>s the same size across the page.
    > >>
    > >> how to fix?

    > >
    > > If you really want, for some reason, to use a table this way and have
    > > the cells go down (rather than across as usual) but just want the text
    > > to fit in and all cells to look the same size: try something like width:
    > > 8em; and no height or a min-height (in px if you must! but best not)

    >
    > I'm wondering why he just doesn't use four <tr>, each with one <td>
    > instead of trying to vertically fudge the display of a single row?
    > Wouldn't that be a lot more logical?


    In a temporary experiment in attitude to the world, I resist
    wondering. Of course, you are right, it is a puzzle but perhaps we
    should not pry too much. There may be a reason, it may be something
    very personal: a geek beauty might have said, "Darling, I will marry
    you, if you dare to use a table in the most longitudinal manner"?

    Maybe he is being threatened: "If you ever, EVER, use an HTML table in
    a normal way, you will shot!"?

    It may just be some sort of zen garden challenge where he cannot or
    would rather not get his hands on the HTML?

    Maybe the HTML is generated from a script and tables are the easiest
    to generate in his situation?

    What is this business of scheduling rapists? Scheduling as mental
    illness certification? Or setting them up to rape in an orderly
    manner, by appointment?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 20, 2012
    #6
  7. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:29:15 PM UTC-4, dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > mcnewsxp <> wrote:
    >
    > > the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox or chrome:
    > >
    > > login in with test test at
    > >
    > > http://stellarschoolservices.org/
    > >
    > > click the SCHEDULE link
    > >
    > > TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    > >
    > > i am actual trying to make the <td>s the same size across the page.
    > >
    > > how to fix?
    > >

    >
    > If you really want, for some reason, to use a table this way and have
    > the cells go down (rather than across as usual) but just want the text
    > to fit in and all cells to look the same size: try something like
    > width: 8em; and no height or a min-height (in px if you must! but best
    > not)
    >
    > --
    > dorayme


    my dear html experts - i am not trying to *make* it go vertical. it goes horizontl just fine in IE, but not firefox or chrome. it goes down. i don't want it to go down. i want to why it goes down so i can fix it.

    can yez pleez hep me or not.....?
    mcnewsxp, Jun 20, 2012
    #7
  8. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:07:28 PM UTC-4, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > mcnewsxp wrote:
    > >> the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox or chrome:
    > >>
    > >> login in with test test at
    > >>
    > >> http://stellarschoolservices.org/
    > >>
    > >> click the SCHEDULE link
    > >>
    > >> TherapistsScheduler.aspx

    >
    > Who are these rapists you want to schedule???
    >
    > >> i am actual trying to make the <td>s the same size across the page.
    > >>
    > >> how to fix?

    > >
    > > If you really want, for some reason, to use a table this way and have
    > > the cells go down (rather than across as usual) but just want the text
    > > to fit in and all cells to look the same size: try something like width:
    > > 8em; and no height or a min-height (in px if you must! but best not)

    >
    > I'm wondering why he just doesn't use four <tr>, each with one <td>
    > instead of trying to vertically fudge the display of a single row?
    > Wouldn't that be a lot more logical?
    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -This space for rent, but the price is high


    please - i said 'across the page' not down the page. it displays as i wish in IE, but not firefox. i'm doing something dumb, but don't know what.
    mcnewsxp, Jun 20, 2012
    #8
  9. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:05:41 PM UTC-4, mcnewsxp wrote:
    > the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox or chrome:
    >
    > login in with test test at
    >
    > http://stellarschoolservices.org/
    >
    > click the SCHEDULE link
    >
    > TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    >
    > i am actual trying to make the <td>s the same size across the page.
    >
    > how to fix?
    >
    > tia,
    > mcnewsxp


    amazing!
    just changing height from px to em did the trick. wonder why?
    mcnewsxp, Jun 20, 2012
    #9
  10. mcnewsxp

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    mcnewsxp <> wrote:

    > On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:29:15 PM UTC-4, dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > mcnewsxp <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox or chrome:
    > > >
    > > > login in with test test at
    > > >
    > > > http://stellarschoolservices.org/
    > > >
    > > > click the SCHEDULE link
    > > >
    > > > TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    > > >
    > > > i am actual trying to make the <td>s the same size across the page.
    > > >
    > > > how to fix?
    > > >

    > >
    > > If you really want, for some reason, to use a table this way and have
    > > the cells go down (rather than across as usual) but just want the text
    > > to fit in and all cells to look the same size: try something like
    > > width: 8em; and no height or a min-height (in px if you must! but best
    > > not)
    > >
    > > --
    > > dorayme

    >
    > my dear html experts - i am not trying to *make* it go vertical. it goes
    > horizontl just fine in IE, but not firefox or chrome. it goes down. i don't
    > want it to go down. i want to why it goes down so i can fix it.
    >
    > can yez pleez hep me or not.....?


    Are you not getting my posts on this? I suggested for you to remove
    display: block from td.tdBod days back when you posted under the
    thread with a name like "table td question". I have also made other
    remarks that you might find useful about using em rather than px.

    This is the first time, by the way, that you have clearly said that
    you don't want the cells to go down.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 20, 2012
    #10
  11. mcnewsxp wrote:

    >
    > my dear html experts - i am not trying to *make* it go vertical. it goes horizontl just fine in IE, but not firefox or chrome. it goes down. i don't want it to go down. i want to why it goes down so i can fix it.
    >
    > can yez pleez hep me or not.....?
    >




    I didn't see it. Aside of IE's lack of CSS support of rounded borders it
    look basically the same to me.


    <http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/usenet/sss-ie-ff>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 20, 2012
    #11
  12. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:59:54 PM UTC-4, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > mcnewsxp wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > my dear html experts - i am not trying to *make* it go vertical. it goes horizontl just fine in IE, but not firefox or chrome. it goes down. i don't want it to go down. i want to why it goes down so i can fix it.
    > >
    > > can yez pleez hep me or not.....?
    > >

    >
    >
    >
    > I didn't see it. Aside of IE's lack of CSS support of rounded borders it
    > look basically the same to me.
    >
    >
    > <http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/usenet/sss-ie-ff>
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    > http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com


    yea, i fixed it - with help of course.
    mcnewsxp, Jun 21, 2012
    #12
  13. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:58:21 PM UTC-4, dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > mcnewsxp <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:29:15 PM UTC-4, dorayme wrote:
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > mcnewsxp <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox or chrome:
    > > > >
    > > > > login in with test test at
    > > > >
    > > > > http://stellarschoolservices.org/
    > > > >
    > > > > click the SCHEDULE link
    > > > >
    > > > > TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    > > > >
    > > > > i am actual trying to make the <td>s the same size across the page.
    > > > >
    > > > > how to fix?
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > If you really want, for some reason, to use a table this way and have
    > > > the cells go down (rather than across as usual) but just want the text
    > > > to fit in and all cells to look the same size: try something like
    > > > width: 8em; and no height or a min-height (in px if you must! but best
    > > > not)
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > dorayme

    > >
    > > my dear html experts - i am not trying to *make* it go vertical. it goes
    > > horizontl just fine in IE, but not firefox or chrome. it goes down. i don't
    > > want it to go down. i want to why it goes down so i can fix it.
    > >
    > > can yez pleez hep me or not.....?

    >
    > Are you not getting my posts on this? I suggested for you to remove
    > display: block from td.tdBod days back when you posted under the
    > thread with a name like "table td question". I have also made other
    > remarks that you might find useful about using em rather than px.
    >
    > This is the first time, by the way, that you have clearly said that
    > you don't want the cells to go down.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme


    i took the block out right away. the em thing didn't make sense because i see a lot of people using px for td size. but i was obviously wrong. and you were not the only one to mention the em thing.

    first time - not really. if you looked at the page in IE you'd have seen it going across and i said i wanted it to look like it does in IE.

    so whatever...

    thanks for the help.
    mcnewsxp, Jun 21, 2012
    #13
  14. mcnewsxp

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    mcnewsxp <> wrote:

    > On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:58:21 PM UTC-4, dorayme wrote:

    ....
    > > > >




    Some mention was made, iirc, about having the cells the same size. You
    can achieve this, but there are no guarantees across all browsers,
    depending on how you width the table family elements and the nature of
    your content. To take two simple cases, if you don't width your table
    element, leaving it at its default auto and give sufficient width to
    the TD elements for content to wrap,

    --

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 22, 2012
    #14
  15. mcnewsxp

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > mcnewsxp <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:58:21 PM UTC-4, dorayme wrote:

    > ...
    > > > > >

    >
    >
    >
    > Some mention was made, iirc, about having the cells the same size. You
    > can achieve this, but there are no guarantees across all browsers,
    > depending on how you width the table family elements and the nature of
    > your content. To take two simple cases, if you don't width your table
    > element, leaving it at its default auto and give sufficient width to
    > the TD elements for content to wrap,

    ....

    er... that was sent in mid composition by accident!

    The other simple case was where you give a percentage width to the
    cells, as many as needed, to make up the whole, in this case, you
    don't need to set a width to the table element.

    But really, there are too many variables in these matters to summarise
    a set of simple rules that most people will easily remember. The
    presence of borders, paddings, margins, unexpected user text sizes,
    can throw off a lot of these calculations and expectations.

    The truth is that it is very much better not to be bothered about, not
    to want, such precision, to let tables find their own ways, to dictate
    as little as possible about widths and heights. The browser not only
    is often likely to do a more reasonable user friendly layout all on
    its own but can ignore your widths and heights with no particular
    censure from HTML specifications.

    It goes against the whole idea of flexibility and fluidity and
    adaptability to try to force equal width cells across. It is often
    simply a waste of space (because small content does not need to be as
    wide as bigger content) in pursuit of an overly simplistic aesthetic.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 22, 2012
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Imran Aziz
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,505
    Imran Aziz
    Aug 11, 2005
  2. Marc Twain

    Display and display model

    Marc Twain, Jan 13, 2004, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    368
    Matt Humphrey
    Jan 13, 2004
  3. shapper
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    367
    shapper
    Nov 14, 2006
  4. joelmortin
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    735
    joelmortin
    Feb 10, 2010
  5. Matthew
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    111
    Tintin
    Jan 19, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page