Need help with float

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Helpful person, Oct 7, 2008.

  1. I am building web site at www.snowfisher.com
    It displays as I wish in IE7. However, with Firefox the floats do not
    display as I expect. Can someone help please?
    Helpful person, Oct 7, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Helpful person

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Helpful person <> wrote:

    > I am building web site at www.snowfisher.com
    > It displays as I wish in IE7. However, with Firefox the floats do not
    > display as I expect. Can someone help please?


    What do you expect? Yes, they are a bit tricky! <g>

    You might find helpful:

    <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>

    As for what you might do with your site, a quick look suggests maybe
    take a look at removing the float on the content altogether, don't
    "position" it. And instead pad the right of

    ..mymenu {
    ....
    padding: 0 20px 0 0;

    so it gives some grace to the content as it sits next to the float
    before it wraps...

    Everything depends on what you want exactly. But just making these two
    changes makes it look ok in FF.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 7, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Oct 6, 11:30 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >  Helpful person <> wrote:
    >
    > > I am building web site atwww.snowfisher.com
    > > It displays as I wish in IE7.  However, with Firefox the floats do not
    > > display as I expect.  Can someone help please?

    >
    > What do you expect? Yes, they are a bit tricky! <g>
    >
    > You might find helpful:
    >
    > <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>
    >
    > As for what you might do with your site, a quick look suggests maybe
    > take a look at removing the float on the content altogether, don't
    > "position" it. And instead pad the right of
    >
    > .mymenu {
    > ...
    > padding: 0 20px 0 0;
    >
    > so it gives some grace to the content as it sits next to the float
    > before it wraps...
    >
    > Everything depends on what you want exactly. But just making these two
    > changes makes it look ok in FF.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme


    Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. What you say makes a lot of sense. I
    realize floats are tricky (I'v been trying to make sense of the CSS
    standard) and would like to know why mine doesn't work. However,
    that's secondary to getting it to look OK.
    Helpful person, Oct 7, 2008
    #3
  4. On Oct 6, 11:35 pm, Helpful person <> wrote:
    > On Oct 6, 11:30 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > >  Helpful person <> wrote:

    >
    > > > I am building web site atwww.snowfisher.com
    > > > It displays as I wish in IE7.  However, with Firefox the floats do not
    > > > display as I expect.  Can someone help please?

    >
    > > What do you expect? Yes, they are a bit tricky! <g>

    >
    > > You might find helpful:

    >
    > > <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>

    >
    > > As for what you might do with your site, a quick look suggests maybe
    > > take a look at removing the float on the content altogether, don't
    > > "position" it. And instead pad the right of

    >
    > > .mymenu {
    > > ...
    > > padding: 0 20px 0 0;

    >
    > > so it gives some grace to the content as it sits next to the float
    > > before it wraps...

    >
    > > Everything depends on what you want exactly. But just making these two
    > > changes makes it look ok in FF.

    >
    > > --
    > > dorayme

    >
    > Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.  What you say makes a lot of sense.  I
    > realize floats are tricky (I'v been trying to make sense of the CSS
    > standard) and would like to know why mine doesn't work.  However,
    > that's secondary to getting it to look OK.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    By the way, is there a better way to write what I call the Footer?
    (For my phone numberws etc.) I'm using an unordered list which is
    easy to format but doesn't really seem like the correct method.
    Helpful person, Oct 7, 2008
    #4
  5. Helpful person

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Helpful person <> wrote:

    > On Oct 6, 11:35 pm, Helpful person <> wrote:
    > > On Oct 6, 11:30 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > >

    ....
    > > > Everything depends on what you want exactly. But just making these two
    > > > changes makes it look ok in FF.

    > >
    > > > --
    > > > dorayme

    > >
    > > Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.  What you say makes a lot of sense.  I
    > > realize floats are tricky (I'v been trying to make sense of the CSS
    > > standard) and would like to know why mine doesn't work.  However,
    > > that's secondary to getting it to look OK.- Hide quoted text -
    > >
    > > - Show quoted text -

    >
    > By the way, is there a better way to write what I call the Footer?
    > (For my phone numberws etc.) I'm using an unordered list which is
    > easy to format but doesn't really seem like the correct method.


    Consider not putting this in a footer at all. And certainly not so many
    ULs... It is important contact information. Perhaps you could better
    make it shorter and sweeter, one simple inline UL list, with a link to
    contact info page where folk can read it at nice fatter font size.

    Or you could just put in email link and phone numbers in footer. One
    simple list, inline (ask if you are not sure what this is), just a
    couple of numbers and a one word link like "contact" that takes you to a
    proper page with all your details laid out nicely. Use left or right or
    both left and right borders as separators but there are all sorts of
    choices...

    Here is a ul that is inline (it is a page navigator but never mind
    that...). See the bottom of...

    <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/page4.html>

    You can adapt to a "normal" footer...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 7, 2008
    #5
  6. Helpful person

    Bergamot Guest

    Helpful person wrote:
    > I am building web site at www.snowfisher.com
    > It displays as I wish in IE7. However, with Firefox the floats do not
    > display as I expect.


    #MainContent {
    float: right;
    margin-left: 0.5em;
    }

    You have not set a width so it's defaulting to "auto". In this
    particular case, auto=100%, or at least it should.

    I suggest not floating it at all. Just set a left margin wide enough to
    clear the left-floated navigation and it will take whatever available
    space is left.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Oct 7, 2008
    #6
  7. On Oct 7, 10:58 am, Ben C <> wrote:
    > On 2008-10-07, Bergamot <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > Helpful person wrote:
    > >> I am building web site atwww.snowfisher.com
    > >> It displays as I wish in IE7.  However, with Firefox the floats do not
    > >> display as I expect.

    >
    > > #MainContent {
    > > float: right;
    > > margin-left: 0.5em;
    > > }

    >
    > > You have not set a width so it's defaulting to "auto". In this
    > > particular case, auto=100%, or at least it should.

    >
    > Just to clarify that: it gets the shrink-to-fit width, which in this
    > case is the available width since the float's contents' preferred
    > maximum width is greater than what's available.
    >
    > That doesn't actually sound much clearer.


    No it doesn't! However, I get the point.
    Helpful person, Oct 7, 2008
    #7
  8. On Oct 6, 11:01 pm, Helpful person <> wrote:
    > I am building web site atwww.snowfisher.com
    > It displays as I wish in IE7.  However, with Firefox the floats do not
    > display as I expect.  Can someone help please?


    Thanks everyone. All problems (so far) fixed.
    Helpful person, Oct 7, 2008
    #8
  9. Helpful person

    Ari Heino Guest

    Helpful person kirjoitti seuraavasti:
    >> I am building web site atwww.snowfisher.com

    > Thanks everyone. All problems (so far) fixed.


    OT: Consider making the navigation without images. All you have can be
    done with text and some bordering.

    --
    Ari
    http://users.utu.fi/athein/
    Ari Heino, Oct 8, 2008
    #9
  10. On Oct 8, 12:50 pm, Ari Heino <> wrote:
    > Helpful person kirjoitti seuraavasti:
    >
    > >> I am building web site atwww.snowfisher.com

    > > Thanks everyone.  All problems (so far) fixed.

    >
    > OT: Consider making the navigation without images. All you have can be
    > done with text and some bordering.
    >
    > --
    > Arihttp://users.utu.fi/athein/


    True, except there is little overhead for the small GIFs and it gives
    me versatility. In the future, when I have more time I can fancy
    things up a little.
    Helpful person, Oct 8, 2008
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andy
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    6,236
    Roedy Green
    May 10, 2004
  2. Jim West
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,400
    Jeff Schwab
    Jan 16, 2004
  3. Jukka Lehtonen

    operator== (float, float)

    Jukka Lehtonen, Aug 4, 2004, in forum: C++
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    2,406
    Jukka Lehtonen
    Aug 5, 2004
  4. bd
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    603
  5. Carsten Fuchs
    Replies:
    45
    Views:
    1,503
    James Kanze
    Oct 8, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page