Need help with FORM/CGI. Simple!? request!?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Peter Lozzi, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. Peter Lozzi

    Peter Lozzi Guest

    ::Sigh::

    I am going to take a risk here, and probably be yelled at, etc... But
    I am pulling my hair out, and I am QUITE CERTAIN the key to my problem
    is right there, and in my grasp...

    I am a novice using Macromedia Dreamweaver to design a website. I am
    100% self taught, and think I have an okay grasp on nested tables and
    putting together some coherent graphics.

    I created a form. The form is located here:

    http://www.vacavillemultimedia.com/contact.html

    All I want to do is take the information that the user puts in the
    fields and send it to me via email.

    THAT'S IT. THAT'S ALL I AM ASKING.

    I have spent TWO WEEKS scouring the ends of the earth for a solution,
    and I know it is RIGHT UNDER MY NOSE.

    Here's what I know so far...

    I need to use the <POST> method to have the HTML page send the info to
    a CGI script that resides on the server, right? That CGI script does
    *something* to the info, and viola, it ends up in my inbox, no? THATS
    ALL I AM ASKING.

    On the remote root level of my site (the same level as the index page)
    is a folder (that was put there by the hosting company) with the label
    CGI. I would imagine this is where I put the CGI script?

    I have serched google 20 different ways to find information, a
    tutorial, etc, on how to do this, and it's the ONE THING I CANNOT seem
    to accomplish. My Dreamweaver book (all 900 pages) just says to
    contact the web host for more information. The web host kinda chuckled
    and said, "It's easy, what's the problem?" then never followed up (at
    least not yet.)

    Like I said, this CANT be this hard, right? I know one of you can do
    this in your sleep! PLEASE tell me what piece of the puzzle I am
    missing... Maybe take a look at the page, and see how simple it would
    probably be?!

    Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer...

    Pete
    Peter Lozzi, Sep 17, 2004

  2. "Peter Lozzi" <> wrote in message
    > I created a form. The form is located here:
    >
    > http://www.vacavillemultimedia.com/contact.html
    >
    > All I want to do is take the information that the user puts in the fields
    > and send it to me via email.
    >
    > THAT'S IT. THAT'S ALL I AM ASKING.

    Well, you could do it with a pretty simple PHP script, if your host supports
    PHP:

    <?php

    foreach ($_REQUEST as $key => $value){
    $message .= $key .' = '. $value."\n";
    }

    mail("","Email Form",$message);

    header("Location: confirmation.html");
    exit;

    ?>

    So if you set the action of your form to this script, it will e-mail you a
    list of all the fields in your form and the values the user gave them. It
    won't be especially pretty, but this should get you started.

    Chris Finke

    --
    I'll send you a gMail invite if you sign up for a free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=9228418
    Christopher Finke, Sep 17, 2004

  3. Peter Lozzi

    Peter Lozzi Guest

    On 2004-09-16 20:11:07 -0700, "Christopher Finke" <> said:

    > "Peter Lozzi" <> wrote in message
    >> I created a form. The form is located here:
    >>
    >> http://www.vacavillemultimedia.com/contact.html
    >>
    >> All I want to do is take the information that the user puts in the
    >> fields and send it to me via email.
    >>
    >> THAT'S IT. THAT'S ALL I AM ASKING.

    > Well, you could do it with a pretty simple PHP script, if your host
    > supports PHP:
    >
    > <?php
    >
    > foreach ($_REQUEST as $key => $value){
    > $message .= $key .' = '. $value."\n";
    > }
    >
    > mail("","Email Form",$message);
    >
    > header("Location: confirmation.html");
    > exit;
    >
    > ?>
    >
    > So if you set the action of your form to this script, it will e-mail
    > you a list of all the fields in your form and the values the user gave
    > them. It won't be especially pretty, but this should get you started.
    >
    > Chris Finke

    Chris!

    RIGHT ON BROTHER! Progress! Now...

    HOW do I get that great script you shared with me ON THE SERVER and WORKING!?

    I mean, do I creat like a text edit document with that script pasted in
    it, and stick it in a folder?

    WHERE DO I PASTE THAT GREAT SCRIPT?

    Thank you, it looks like I am ON THE SCENT with your reply, if you BEAR
    with me for a few more posts, I COULD ACTUALLY BE GETTING SOME OF MY
    POTENTIAL CLIENTS' INFO!

    Thank you! NOW WHERE DO I STICK THAT GREAT SCRIPT!?

    Pete
    Peter Lozzi, Sep 17, 2004
  4. Peter Lozzi

    Sam Hughes Guest

    Peter Lozzi <> wrote in

    > Thank you! NOW WHERE DO I STICK THAT GREAT SCRIPT!?

    In a PHP file. Then put it on a server that has a PHP interpretor.
    Sam Hughes, Sep 17, 2004
  5. Peter Lozzi

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 03:21:10 GMT, Peter Lozzi <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Thank you! NOW WHERE DO I STICK THAT GREAT SCRIPT!?

    You put it in a PHP file - that generally means a file with a .php
    extension. Put the name of that file in the action="" attribute of your
    form.

    BTW: Your shift key is broken.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Sep 17, 2004
  6. "Peter Lozzi" <> wrote in message
    > HOW do I get that great script you shared with me ON THE SERVER and
    > WORKING!?

    Copy the following (starting with the "<?php" and ending with the "?>") into
    a text document and save it as form_processor.php

    <?php

    foreach ($_REQUEST as $key => $value){
    $message .= $key .' = '. $value."\n";
    }

    mail("","Email Form",$message);

    header("Location: confirmation.html");
    exit;

    ?>

    Now, copy this file (form_processor.php) to the same folder that your
    contact.html file is in, on the server. (Make sure to change the
    address to your address.)

    Then, change the line in contact.html that reads

    <form action="" method="post" name="contact_form"
    id="contact_form"mailto:>

    <form action="form_processor.php" method="post" name="contact_form"
    id="contact_form">
    Then, create a page called confirmation.html. Put this in the same folder
    as contact.html on the server as well. This can include whatever
    confirmation text you want, such as "Your comments have been received; you
    will receive a reply in ## days."

    After all this is done, try filling out the form and submitting it. If
    everything worked, you should get an e-mail with your data and be shown the
    confirmation page.

    I hope this helps. Feel free to post any more questions you have.

    Chris Finke

    Christopher Finke, Sep 17, 2004
  7. Peter Lozzi

    Peter Lozzi Guest

    On 2004-09-16 21:04:23 -0700, "Christopher Finke" <> said:

    > "Peter Lozzi" <> wrote in message
    >> HOW do I get that great script you shared with me ON THE SERVER and WORKING!?

    > Copy the following (starting with the "<?php" and ending with the "?>")
    > into a text document and save it as form_processor.php
    >
    > <?php
    >
    > foreach ($_REQUEST as $key => $value){
    > $message .= $key .' = '. $value."\n";
    > }
    >
    > mail("","Email Form",$message);
    >
    > header("Location: confirmation.html");
    > exit;
    >
    > ?>
    >
    > Now, copy this file (form_processor.php) to the same folder that your
    > contact.html file is in, on the server. (Make sure to change the
    > address to your address.)
    >
    > Then, change the line in contact.html that reads
    >
    > <form action="" method="post" name="contact_form"
    > id="contact_form"mailto:>

    > <form action="form_processor.php" method="post" name="contact_form"
    > id="contact_form">
    > Then, create a page called confirmation.html. Put this in the same
    > folder as contact.html on the server as well. This can include
    > whatever confirmation text you want, such as "Your comments have been
    > received; you will receive a reply in ## days."
    >
    > After all this is done, try filling out the form and submitting it. If
    > everything worked, you should get an e-mail with your data and be shown
    > the confirmation page.
    >
    > I hope this helps. Feel free to post any more questions you have.
    >
    > Chris Finke

    Chris...

    WOW! You have moved me closer than 4 books and 25 websites.

    I am ALMOST there! I took your advice, and when I submit the form, it
    actually opens the .php page with the script you created. I know this
    isn't the desired result, and I am wondering what the heck I did wrong
    now.

    the form is still at:

    http://www.vacavillemultimedia.com/contact.html

    We're SO CLOSE! Thank you SO MUCH Chris for your help.

    Pete
    Peter Lozzi, Sep 17, 2004
  8. Peter Lozzi

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 04:41:10 GMT, Peter Lozzi <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > I am ALMOST there! I took your advice, and when I submit the form, it
    > actually opens the .php page with the script you created. I know this
    > isn't the desired result, and I am wondering what the heck I did wrong
    > now.

    Doesn't look like your host supports PHP. You'll have to find out what
    languages they do support, and use a script in one of those languages.
    From your OP, they allow CGI (though whether they'll allow you to upload
    your own may be a different matter); have a look at
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/nms-cgi/

    Doesn't your host have a form handler script already there anyway? I
    know you said they didn't answer your emails - did you check their
    support pages?

    Mark Parnell, Sep 17, 2004
  9. "Peter Lozzi" <> wrote in message
    > I am ALMOST there! I took your advice, and when I submit the form, it
    > actually opens the .php page with the script you created. I know this
    > isn't the desired result, and I am wondering what the heck I did wrong
    > now.

    Make sure you save the file as a text file, not as an HTML file. From what
    I can tell, it looks like you saved it as HTML in a WYSIWYG editor. Paste
    the text into Notepad, and save it as form_processor.php, making sure to
    select "All files" from the "Save as type" option box (if you're using
    Windows, that is).

    Chris Finke
    Christopher Finke, Sep 17, 2004
  10. Peter Lozzi

    Peter Lozzi Guest

    On 2004-09-16 21:50:25 -0700, "Christopher Finke" <> said:

    > "Peter Lozzi" <> wrote in message
    >> I am ALMOST there! I took your advice, and when I submit the form, it
    >> actually opens the .php page with the script you created. I know this
    >> isn't the desired result, and I am wondering what the heck I did wrong
    >> now.

    > Make sure you save the file as a text file, not as an HTML file. From
    > what I can tell, it looks like you saved it as HTML in a WYSIWYG
    > editor. Paste the text into Notepad, and save it as
    > form_processor.php, making sure to select "All files" from the "Save as
    > type" option box (if you're using Windows, that is).
    >
    > Chris Finke

    Chris...

    Yeah, I created a new PHP document with dreamweaver. I made sure I
    created a new dynamic PHP document, and not just an HTML or other
    standard file.

    The only thing I can think of now is that the host
    (http://www.warped.com) does not support PHP by default, and that you
    have to request to have it?

    I mean, on the front page of their site it lists PHP as a feature.

    I dunno. I think you have taken me as far as you can though... I
    appreciate it more than you know. I will try in the coming days to
    figure it out from here, unless there's something obvious I am doing
    wrong that you can see...

    Thanks!

    Pete
    Peter Lozzi, Sep 17, 2004
  11. Peter Lozzi

    Neal Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 05:08:16 GMT, Peter Lozzi <>
    wrote:

    > I mean, on the front page of their site it lists PHP as a feature.

    If so, it should be able to work.

    > I dunno. I think you have taken me as far as you can though...

    See php.net for detail on php, it's dense but complete.
    http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp is less so, but might be suitable.
    Neal, Sep 17, 2004
  12. Peter Lozzi

    Peter Lozzi Guest

    FYI, I opened a ticket with my server letting them know the PHP isn't
    interpreting, and hopefully I will have it fixed soon. I'll keep you
    all posted. Thank you so much for the education. You truly are what
    makes usenet a joy.

    Pete

    Peter Lozzi, Sep 17, 2004
  13. On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 06:28:54 +0000, Peter Lozzi wrote:

    > FYI, I opened a ticket with my server letting them know the PHP isn't
    > interpreting, and hopefully I will have it fixed soon. I'll keep you
    > all posted. Thank you so much for the education. You truly are what
    > makes usenet a joy.

    A simple PHP script, just to see if PHP is working or not, is:

    <? phpinfo(); ?>

    Just that one line and nothing else in a file. Put said file on server.
    Call it "phpinfo.php". Browse to URL.

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
    Jeffrey Silverman, Sep 17, 2004
  14. Peter Lozzi

    Peter Lozzi Guest

    On 2004-09-17 08:58:42 -0700, Jeffrey Silverman <> said:

    > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 06:28:54 +0000, Peter Lozzi wrote:
    >
    >> FYI, I opened a ticket with my server letting them know the PHP isn't
    >> interpreting, and hopefully I will have it fixed soon. I'll keep you
    >> all posted. Thank you so much for the education. You truly are what
    >> makes usenet a joy.

    > A simple PHP script, just to see if PHP is working or not, is:
    >
    > <? phpinfo(); ?>
    >
    > Just that one line and nothing else in a file. Put said file on
    > server. Call it "phpinfo.php". Browse to URL.

    Thanks! When I execute that instruction, the browser opens the script
    as a page, the script does not run. PHP must somehow be disabled,
    although the server stats page says it is installed and running. It
    will be iteresting to see what the help desk ticket response is.
    Thanks for all your help, I'll keep you posted.

    To see the results of the script, browse to:

    http://www.vacavillemultimedia.com/info.php

    Thanks again everyone...

    Pete
    Peter Lozzi, Sep 17, 2004
  15. Peter Lozzi

    Neal Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:15:29 GMT, Peter Lozzi <>
    wrote:

    > Thanks! When I execute that instruction, the browser opens the script
    > as a page, the script does not run. PHP must somehow be disabled,
    > although the server stats page says it is installed and running.

    Might want to contact your host about this.
    Neal, Sep 17, 2004
  16. On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:42:56 -0400, Neal wrote:

    > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:15:29 GMT, Peter Lozzi <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks! When I execute that instruction, the browser opens the script
    >> as a page, the script does not run. PHP must somehow be disabled,
    >> although the server stats page says it is installed and running.

    > Might want to contact your host about this.

    No. The problem is in the HTML/PHP source code, not in the server.

    Look at the code!!

    The code NEEDS ACTUAL GT AND LT SIGNS -- <? phpinfo(); ?>

    WRONG:
    &lt;? phpinfo(); ?&gt;

    This is Dreamweaver's fault (OP mentioned using DW). You *must*
    *NOT* use the WYSIWYG editor component of DW when editing PHP code!!

    Try this (assuming you are on Windows):

    1) Open Notepad (Start->Accessories->Notepad)
    2) Cut-n-paste the PHP code

    <? phpinfo(); ?>

    3) Save file as phpinfo.php
    4) upload file to server

    Then test by browsing to the URL of the page! It should work at this point.

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
    Jeffrey Silverman, Sep 17, 2004
  17. On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 04:41:10 +0000, Peter Lozzi wrote:

    > On 2004-09-16 21:04:23 -0700, "Christopher Finke" <> said:
    >
    >> "Peter Lozzi" <> wrote in message
    >>> HOW do I get that great script you shared with me ON THE SERVER and WORKING!?

    >> Copy the following (starting with the "<?php" and ending with the "?>")
    >> into a text document and save it as form_processor.php
    >>
    >> <?php
    >>
    >> foreach ($_REQUEST as $key => $value){
    >> $message .= $key .' = '. $value."\n";
    >> }
    >>
    >> mail("","Email Form",$message);
    >>
    >> header("Location: confirmation.html");
    >> exit;
    >>
    >> ?>
    >>
    >> Now, copy this file (form_processor.php) to the same folder that your
    >> contact.html file is in, on the server. (Make sure to change the
    >> address to your address.)
    >>
    >> Then, change the line in contact.html that reads
    >>
    >> <form action="" method="post" name="contact_form"
    >> id="contact_form"mailto:>

    >> <form action="form_processor.php" method="post" name="contact_form"
    >> id="contact_form">
    >> Then, create a page called confirmation.html. Put this in the same
    >> folder as contact.html on the server as well. This can include
    >> whatever confirmation text you want, such as "Your comments have been
    >> received; you will receive a reply in ## days."
    >>
    >> After all this is done, try filling out the form and submitting it. If
    >> everything worked, you should get an e-mail with your data and be shown
    >> the confirmation page.
    >>
    >> I hope this helps. Feel free to post any more questions you have.
    >>
    >> Chris Finke

    > Chris...
    >
    > WOW! You have moved me closer than 4 books and 25 websites.
    >
    > I am ALMOST there! I took your advice, and when I submit the form, it
    > actually opens the .php page with the script you created. I know this
    > isn't the desired result, and I am wondering what the heck I did wrong
    > now.
    >
    > the form is still at:
    >
    > http://www.vacavillemultimedia.com/contact.html
    >
    > We're SO CLOSE! Thank you SO MUCH Chris for your help.
    >
    > Pete

    I just took a look at your form_processor.php script that you used as the
    "action" for your email form. It suffers from the same problem -- DW is
    sticking in HTML stuff that does not belong!

    Repeat after me: I will not use Dreamweaver to editi PHP files. ... I will
    not use Dreamweaver to editi PHP files. ... I will not use Dreamweaver to
    editi PHP files.

    Suggestions to solve this problem: Use a TEXT editor, NOT a WYSIWYG web
    page editor (e.g. Dreamweaver)

    http://www.google.com/search?q=php text editors&sourceid=mozilla&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
    Jeffrey Silverman, Sep 17, 2004
  18. Peter Lozzi

    Neal Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:34:34 -0400, Jeffrey Silverman
    <> wrote:

    > I will not use Dreamweaver to editi PHP files. ... I will
    > not use Dreamweaver to editi PHP files. ... I will not use Dreamweaver to
    > editi PHP files.

    Is that Italian? ;)
    Neal, Sep 17, 2004
  19. Peter Lozzi

    Peter Lozzi Guest

    On 2004-09-17 10:30:17 -0700, Jeffrey Silverman <> said:

    > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:42:56 -0400, Neal wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:15:29 GMT, Peter Lozzi <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks! When I execute that instruction, the browser opens the script
    >>> as a page, the script does not run. PHP must somehow be disabled,
    >>> although the server stats page says it is installed and running.

    >> Might want to contact your host about this.

    > No. The problem is in the HTML/PHP source code, not in the server.
    >
    > Look at the code!!
    >
    > The code NEEDS ACTUAL GT AND LT SIGNS -- <? phpinfo(); ?>
    >
    > WRONG:
    > &lt;? phpinfo(); ?&gt;
    >
    > This is Dreamweaver's fault (OP mentioned using DW). You *must*
    > *NOT* use the WYSIWYG editor component of DW when editing PHP code!!
    >
    > Try this (assuming you are on Windows):
    >
    > 1) Open Notepad (Start->Accessories->Notepad)
    > 2) Cut-n-paste the PHP code
    >
    > <? phpinfo(); ?>
    >
    > 3) Save file as phpinfo.php
    > 4) upload file to server
    >
    > Then test by browsing to the URL of the page! It should work at this point.

    <Whew>

    You've all bee right in different ways. The help desk ticket returned
    that same info: DW html code was mucking up the page, script couldn't
    run...

    I fixed that, DW has a view that shows whether or not the code is being
    accepted as PHP or HTML. That part is done, and PHP appears to be
    functioning on the warped site just fine...

    Now, when I try to process the form:
    http://www.vacavillemultimedia.com/contact.html

    Using the PHP that was kindly written by Mr. Finkle:
    http://www.vacavillemultimedia.com/form_processor.html

    I get this error message:

    Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by
    (output started at
    /raid/ATL/vips/home0/pmlozzi/vacavillemultimedia.com/form_processor.php:7)
    in
    /raid/ATL/vips/home0/pmlozzi/vacavillemultimedia.com/form_processor.php
    on line 15

    This is the script I am using:

    <head>
    <title>form_processor</title>
    </head>
    <center>
    <?

    foreach ($_REQUEST as $key => $value){
    $message .= $key .' = '. $value."\n";
    }

    mail("","Email Form",$message);

    header("Location: confirmation.html");
    exit;

    ?>

    So the PHP is obviously being interpreted, but there is some error in
    the script, I guess...

    If there's anyone who can guide this novice just one step further, I
    know it is you guys...

    And I thank everyone again for my education with scripts, PHP, CGI and
    the like. I am hoping I can use this knowledge to help out someone new.

    Thanks again...

    Pete
    Peter Lozzi, Sep 17, 2004
  20. Peter Lozzi