need help with line-height

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Sophy, Nov 29, 2006.

  1. Sophy

    Sophy Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to create a style that will influence line-height of line-feeds
    that coded with the <BR> tag.

    I've tried defining the <br> tag in the head of the doc with
    css/line-height; also of adding an overall line-height attribute to the body
    of the doc, but no luck.

    is there something I"m missing here?

    even tried increatsing the padding of the BR element.

    br {
    padding-top: 20px;
    }

    thanks for any hints.

    Soph

    Sophy, Nov 29, 2006

  2. Scripsit Sophy:

    > I'm trying to create a style that will influence line-height of
    > line-feeds that coded with the <BR> tag.

    Line feeds are control characters, so they have no line-height. The <BR>
    tag, which should normally be avoided, specifies a line break, not any
    particular way to achieve that in terms in control characters (line feed vs.
    carriage return vs. new line vs. some other representation).

    > I've tried defining the <br> tag in the head of the doc with
    > css/line-height; also of adding an overall line-height attribute to
    > the body of the doc, but no luck.

    That was to be expected, due to the facts that I described.

    > is there something I"m missing here?

    Yes, quite a lot. What _we_ are missing is a URL and a description of what
    you are really trying to accomplish.

    > even tried increatsing the padding of the BR element.
    >
    > br {
    > padding-top: 20px;
    > }

    This sounds like you are using <BR> instead of paragraph markup. Just use
    tell what you'd like to change in the rendering.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 29, 2006

  3. Sophy

    ollimax Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit Sophy:

    >> even tried increatsing the padding of the BR element.
    >>
    >> br {
    >> padding-top: 20px;
    >> }

    > This sounds like you are using <BR> instead of paragraph markup. Just
    > use <p>...</p> for a paragraph, mm'kay? If problems remain, post the URL
    > and tell what you'd like to change in the rendering.

    Then define margin-top or margin-bottom properties for your p's.

    Olli

    ollimax, Nov 29, 2006