Need help with menu

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Adrienne Boswell, Feb 14, 2008.

  1. I am so close... but, I'm really, really tired....

    Here's the deal. I have a large vertical menu that I have scrunched
    down using the method from Son of Suckerfish Vertical, and PHP.

    Here's my PHP:

    <ul>
    <?php if(isset($thisparent))
    {
    if($thisparent=="parent.php")
    {?>
    <ul id="nofly">
    <?php }
    else
    {
    ?>
    <ul>
    <?php }}?>
    </ul>
    </li>
    </ul>

    Child.php has $thisparent = "parent.php";

    So, I would like the child to be visible when the ul id is NoFly, but
    with the Son of Suckerfish, childen fly out, as they are supposed to
    when there is no id of nofly on the child ul.

    Good night, I am going to bed now. Thanks in advance for your help.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 14, 2008

  2. Adrienne Boswell

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 14 Feb 2008 07:40:41
    GMT Adrienne Boswell scribed:

    > I am so close... but, I'm really, really tired....
    >
    > Here's the deal. I have a large vertical menu that I have scrunched
    > down using the method from Son of Suckerfish Vertical, and PHP.
    >
    > Here's my PHP:
    >
    > <ul>
    > <?php if(isset($thisparent))
    > {
    > if($thisparent=="parent.php")
    > {?>
    > <ul id="nofly">
    > <?php }
    > else
    > {
    > ?>
    > <ul>
    > <?php }}?>
    > </ul>
    > </li>
    > </ul>
    >
    > Child.php has $thisparent = "parent.php";
    >
    > So, I would like the child to be visible when the ul id is NoFly, but
    > with the Son of Suckerfish, childen fly out, as they are supposed to
    > when there is no id of nofly on the child ul.

    > Good night, I am going to bed now. Thanks in advance for your help.

    Validation produces an html transitional doctype...
    Multiple same-name ids are a no-no.
    I'm not familiar with the "Son of Suckerfish" method nor particularly
    well-versed in the nuances of character and ethics. Ergo, I'd have to
    say that the page sucks.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.
    Neredbojias, Feb 14, 2008

  3. Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > I am so close... but, I'm really, really tired....

    Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...

    > Here's the deal. I have a large vertical menu that I have scrunched
    > down using the method from Son of Suckerfish Vertical, and PHP.
    > So, I would like the child to be visible when the ul id is NoFly, but
    > with the Son of Suckerfish, childen fly out, as they are supposed to
    > when there is no id of nofly on the child ul.

    Ooh.

    1. In IE6 with my font size set to "Smaller" the content overlaps the
    menu.
    2. Your "If IE6" stuff has: containerfather, containermother
    but the code has: container_father, container_mother
    3. Multiple ids.
    4. "Words of the Day" fly out and are below the viewport, and
    unselectable.
    5. Uses Verdana, and too small font:
    font-size: small;
    See: http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html
    and the order of fonts, put the most rare first.
    6. For some reason, when I send your page to the Validator, it thinks it
    is HTML 4.01 Transitional. <shrug>
    <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fethicsproject.org%2Fbeta%2Findex.php&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&verbose=1>

    And ... flyout menus are annoying, and difficult to use for the
    handicapped.

    > Good night, I am going to bed now. Thanks in advance for your help.

    Sleep well.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 14, 2008
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> writing in

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >
    >> I am so close... but, I'm really, really tired....

    > Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...
    >
    >> Here's the deal. I have a large vertical menu that I have scrunched
    >> down using the method from Son of Suckerfish Vertical, and PHP.
    >> So, I would like the child to be visible when the ul id is NoFly, but
    >> with the Son of Suckerfish, childen fly out, as they are supposed to
    >> when there is no id of nofly on the child ul.

    > Ooh.
    >
    > 1. In IE6 with my font size set to "Smaller" the content overlaps the
    > menu.

    Yikes! Will fix this.

    > 2. Your "If IE6" stuff has: containerfather, containermother
    > but the code has: container_father, container_mother

    That fixes the above. Don't usually use If IE6 stuff.

    > 3. Multiple ids.

    Nope, that's an error in the script. There's only supposed to be _one_
    nofly id, and that's the one that is not supposed to fly out.
    Fixed. Really tired last night.

    > 4. "Words of the Day" fly out and are below the viewport, and
    > unselectable.

    That's a big problem. Back to the drawing board.... back, ok, I found a
    good solution, will post later.

    > 5. Uses Verdana, and too small font:
    > font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    > font-size: small;
    > See: http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    I think the boss may have done that. I'm going to take it out.

    <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://ethicsproject.org/beta
    >%2Findex.php&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&v
    >erbose=1>

    Yes, I don't know why that happens. The headers are getting changed
    somewhere between the server and the validator. I'll have to have to talk
    with the host.

    > And ... flyout menus are annoying, and difficult to use for the

    handicapped.

    Yes, very annoying. As a matter of fact, when I showed this to the boss
    this morning, it was rather amusing to see her trying to navigate it. She
    kept on saying "it's so lovely", but then she couldn't use it. Scratched!
    Will post new solution later.

    >> Good night, I am going to bed now. Thanks in advance for your help.

    > Sleep well.

    I did, and I'll sleep even better tonight. Thank you!

    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 15, 2008
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Neredbojias
    <> writing in

    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 14 Feb 2008

    07:40:41
    > GMT Adrienne Boswell scribed:
    >
    >> I am so close... but, I'm really, really tired....
    >>
    >> Here's the deal. I have a large vertical menu that I have scrunched
    >> down using the method from Son of Suckerfish Vertical, and PHP.
    >>
    >> Here's my PHP:
    >>
    >> <ul>
    >> <?php if(isset($thisparent))
    >> {
    >> if($thisparent=="parent.php")
    >> {?>
    >> <ul id="nofly">
    >> <?php }
    >> else
    >> {
    >> ?>
    >> <ul>
    >> <?php }}?>
    >> </ul>
    >> </li>
    >> </ul>
    >>
    >> Child.php has $thisparent = "parent.php";
    >>
    >> So, I would like the child to be visible when the ul id is NoFly, but
    >> with the Son of Suckerfish, childen fly out, as they are supposed to
    >> when there is no id of nofly on the child ul.

    >> Good night, I am going to bed now. Thanks in advance for your help.

    > Validation produces an html transitional doctype...
    > Multiple same-name ids are a no-no.
    > I'm not familiar with the "Son of Suckerfish" method nor particularly
    > well-versed in the nuances of character and ethics. Ergo, I'd have to
    > say that the page sucks.

    Multiple ids were generated by my erroneous coding. I've fixed that
    now. I've also scrapted the whole idea of flying out stuff, never liked
    it in the first place. I've found a better solution, and will post
    later.

    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 15, 2008
  6. Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" writing:
    >> And ... flyout menus are annoying, and difficult to use for the
    >> handicapped.

    > Yes, very annoying. As a matter of fact, when I showed this to the
    > boss this morning, it was rather amusing to see her trying to
    > navigate it. She kept on saying "it's so lovely", but then she
    > couldn't use it. Scratched! Will post new solution later.

    <lol!> Ooh, that's funny.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 15, 2008
  7. Adrienne Boswell

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 15 Feb 2008 02:44:41
    GMT Adrienne Boswell scribed:

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Neredbojias
    > <> writing in
    >
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 14 Feb 2008

    > 07:40:41
    >> GMT Adrienne Boswell scribed:
    >>
    >>> I am so close... but, I'm really, really tired....
    >>>
    >>> Here's the deal. I have a large vertical menu that I have scrunched
    >>> down using the method from Son of Suckerfish Vertical, and PHP.
    >>>
    >>> Here's my PHP:
    >>>
    >>> <ul>
    >>> <?php if(isset($thisparent))
    >>> {
    >>> if($thisparent=="parent.php")
    >>> {?>
    >>> <ul id="nofly">
    >>> <?php }
    >>> else
    >>> {
    >>> ?>
    >>> <ul>
    >>> <?php }}?>
    >>> </ul>
    >>> </li>
    >>> </ul>
    >>>
    >>> Child.php has $thisparent = "parent.php";
    >>>
    >>> So, I would like the child to be visible when the ul id is NoFly, but
    >>> with the Son of Suckerfish, childen fly out, as they are supposed to
    >>> when there is no id of nofly on the child ul.

    >>> Good night, I am going to bed now. Thanks in advance for your help.

    >> Validation produces an html transitional doctype...
    >> Multiple same-name ids are a no-no.
    >> I'm not familiar with the "Son of Suckerfish" method nor particularly
    >> well-versed in the nuances of character and ethics. Ergo, I'd have to
    >> say that the page sucks.
    >>

    > Multiple ids were generated by my erroneous coding. I've fixed that
    > now. I've also scrapted the whole idea of flying out stuff, never

    liked
    > it in the first place. I've found a better solution, and will post
    > later.

    Probably for the best considering the symptoms. I couldn't actually see
    the specific problem causing trouble, but what you want(ed) to do seems
    not too difficult one way or another.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.
    Neredbojias, Feb 15, 2008
  8. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> writing in news:Rm7tj.602938$kj1.84343
    @bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" writing:
    >>> And ... flyout menus are annoying, and difficult to use for the
    >>> handicapped.

    >> Yes, very annoying. As a matter of fact, when I showed this to the
    >> boss this morning, it was rather amusing to see her trying to
    >> navigate it. She kept on saying "it's so lovely", but then she
    >> couldn't use it. Scratched! Will post new solution later.

    ><lol!> Ooh, that's funny.

    If you think that's funny, you should see her deal with external sites
    that open in the same window. She insists that external sites should
    open in new windows. If an external site opens in the _same_ window (as
    it should), she clicks on the X and wonders why her browser closes. She
    does not understand the back button, does not know/remember about
    backspace, and would never think to right click to open in a new window.
    And, she thinks that everyone is like her... hey, at least I've broken
    her of trying to put br's in a elements!

    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 15, 2008