need help with MySQLdb

nephish

Hey there all,
i have a question about how to point my python install to my sql
database.

when i enter this: db = MySQLdb.connect(user="user", passwd="pass",
db="myDB")

i get this:
Traceback (most recent call last):
db = MySQLdb.connect(user="user", passwd="pass", db="MyDB")
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 66,
in Connect
return Connection(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/MySQLdb/connections.py", line
134, in __init__
super(Connection, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs2)
OperationalError: (1049, "Unknown database 'MyDB'")

i am using the all in one package from lampp (now xampp) and i have
tested a couple of python scripts from the cgi, but.... nothing that
connects to the database.

any ideas?

thanks

Wolfram Kraus

[...]

Try the following from the shell (NOT the python shell):
mysql -u user -p
[Enter passwd]
mysql> show databases;

If MyDB isn't in the list either something went wrong with the xampp
installation or the database for xampp got a different name. (I am no
xampp expert, so I can't help you any further)

HTH,
Wolfram

Dennis Lee Bieber

any ideas?
Step 1: show us what the interactive command line tool "mysql"
does with...

mysql user -p
pass
use MyDB;

IOW, verify you can connect to the database using the MySQL
tools first, then figure out what is different with the MySQLdb call.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Step 1: show us what the interactive command line tool "mysql"
does with...

mysql user -p
pass
use MyDB;

IOW, verify you can connect to the database using the MySQL
tools first, then figure out what is different with the MySQLdb call.

{okay, slight error in the command line string -- I haven't ported MySQL
from the old W98 machine to the WinXP machine yet}

Wolfram Kraus

nephish wrote:
[...]
Try the following from the shell (NOT the python shell):
mysql -u user -p
[Enter passwd]
mysql> show databases;

If MyDB isn't in the list either something went wrong with the xampp
installation or the database for xampp got a different name. (I am no
xampp expert, so I can't help you any further)

HTH,
Wolfram
after i entered the password it told me it cannot connect to mysql through
socket /tmp/mysql.sock

hmmmm.
hope this helps

Please keep the discussion on the list