Need help with N-Tier construction (Business layer)

Paul

Hello, and thanks for listening.

I have a Stored Procedure as follows:
--
PROCEDURE [PaoloPignatelli].[GetOneStoreByUserName3]

-- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here

@UserName Nvarchar (50)

AS

SELECT StoreID

FROM dbo.Stores

WHERE (StoreOwnerUserName = @UserName)

--
This works in SQL Server 2005; I input a UserName, and get a StoreID.
///

When I see if things work so far, they do, I Preview Data, enter a value,
and receive the correct StoreID.

Now comes my question.
How do I write a class (a business layer) that will allow me to access this
data?
I added a Class File to the App_Code folder and called it Stores.vb.
I tried:
Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic

Imports System

Imports System.Data

Public Class Stores

Public Function GetStoreID(ByVal UserName As String) As DataTable

Dim StoreDB As New
OneStoreByUserNameTableAdapters.GetOneStoreByUserName3DataTableTableAdapter

Return StoreDB.GetStoreIDByUserName(UserName)

End Function

End Class

---

No errors on page .... (but I know that means little...)

Then on the aspx.vb page where I wish to consume the class I have

---------------

Handles Me.Load

Dim UserName As String = "Paolo1"

Dim myStore As New Stores

Label1.Text = myStore.GetStoreID(UserName).ToString()

End Sub

---

I get no errors, but when I view in browser, I also get in the label the
text:

GetOneStoreByUserName3DataTable

and not the integer I was hoping for...

How do I get the label to spit out the integer I need? Any and all help is
appreciated,

Paul

Thanks.

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

in your line:

Label1.Text = myStore.GetStoreID(UserName).ToString()

note that GetStoreID returns a DataTable instance, not a string value. the
ToString function of DataTable return the class name. you proably want to
access a row and column in the datatable.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)