Need Help with some HTML :-) - Drop Down Box

Marvin Miller

Hi Friends;

I'm not very good at HTML and I'll be totally up front. I desperately need
someone to modify some simple code for translating my website. It should be
really simple but my html skills are poor :-(

Right now the provided code is this;

page.com&language=English%2FSpanish" target="_top">Translate this page into
Spanish</a> using <a href="http://www.freetranslation.com"
target="_top">FreeTranslation.com</a>.</p>

What can be done is to change the "English%2FSpanish" argument so that it
can be any of the following that the provider has supplied;

English%2FSpanish = English to Spanish
English%2FFrench = English to French
English%2FGerman = English to German
English%2FItalian = English to Italian
English%2FDutch = English to Dutch
English%2FPortuguese = English to Portuguese
English%2FNorwegian = English to Norwegian

This way a website can tailor the code to whatever translation is required.
What I would like is to use a drop down box for clients to choose what
language to have it translated to.

I don't know how to do this but if someone could paste up the code for me so
that it works it would really be a BIG help to me in that I can add an
un-obtrusive translation service to my site.

Best & Thanks;
Marvin Miller

Marvin Miller

Thank you VERY much! That's a really big help for me and it's appreciated
:)

Best;
Marvin

Marvin Miller

brucie said:
appreciated

you're welcome. please don't toppost

How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

Sorry about that - it seems to be Outlooks default place :-(
One more question though.. I put the code in and it works perfectly except
after doing a translation it kind of warps the top of my page. Can you take
a look and see what you think is the cause? It's at
http://www.askmarvin.ca/test.php

Thanks - I'm almost there :)

Mark Parnell

http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/downloads.php

One more question though.. I put the code in and it works perfectly
except after doing a translation it kind of warps the top of my page.
Can you take a look and see what you think is the cause? It's at
http://www.askmarvin.ca/test.php

The only differences I can see is a few extra spaces, and it has replaced
all your &nbsp; with a normal space - if that breaks your layout then your
layout is broken to start with. Which is probably the case, since you're
using tables for layout.

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

A few other things, while I'm here. :)

*Deprecated markup. You are using some CSS - go the whole way and get rid
of those <font> tags (and layout tables).
*No doctype, therefore (assumed) no effort made to validate page, and
browsers operating in quirks mode.
*When doctype forced, lots of validation errors (even on Transitional - if
is new page then should be Strict anyway).
*You should use text instead of images of text - lots of good reasons for
that anyway, but if nothing else that will also get translated if you do.
At the moment, none of your navigation gets translated. Wait, on a closer
look, it isn't images - it is because it is all written by the Javascript
for the slide menu (which doesn't work anyway, BTW). What happens for
visitors who have Javascript disabled/unavailable?
*Blue background is a bit hard on my eyes - may not be so bad with content
though.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?brucie?=

I put the code in and it works perfectly except
after doing a translation it kind of warps the top of my page. Can you take
a look and see what you think is the cause? It's at
http://www.askmarvin.ca/test.php

when your page is sent off to be translated the translation must
rewrite the page with the different text. if you view source on a
pre-translation page and a translated page you can see the
differences. you need to design your pages so the changes made don't
effect the layout or the layout compensates for the changes. at the
moment your markup is a mess. you should start again making sure your
markup is well formed and valid.

you also need to use relative URLs not absolute so when your page is
rewritten the translation script rewrites the internal links of your
site to automatically perform the translation on the next page
visited. this is so a visitor doesn't have to translate every page.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?brucie?=

Wait, on a closer look, it isn't images - it is because it is all written by
the Javascript for the slide menu (which doesn't work anyway, BTW). What
happens for visitors who have Javascript disabled/unavailable?

they don't even realize something was supposed to be there until they
read your post and turned JS on to have a look and then turned JS back
off again because it looks better without it.

Marvin Miller

Mark Parnell said:
[...]

Oh boy! OK, I now the template has some faults - mostly because I've
re-designed it several times with Front Page due to my lack of HTML skills.

What I'm trying to do right now is revamp the site's template so I can
revamp all the pages and have some additional stuff added to the template
(like the text translator). I don't know what you mean by the JavaScript
menu not working though - it's always worked for me - if it's not working I
do need to know about it as my site is getting more and more traffic.

Because I don't know much about HTML etc. I'm not sure about the rest of
what you said :) One thing I am certain of though is that the page must
have a lot of errors and could probably be streamlined a great deal. The
problem is that I know no-one who could do this properly so I'm stuck with
myself :->

If I sent you 20.00 through PayPal could you go through the template from
top to bottom and make it perfect? Maybe that's a cheap offer but I have
little money and zip for proper coding practices :-(

What I need is my template fixed up so that I can base my whole site on it -
this time on a properly coded one. I've got other problems
too.....ahahaha... take a look at the size of my server listings pages
(http://www.askmarvin.ca/roadrunnerlist/rrlist.htm) and you'll see what I
mean by terrible coding practices but at least I can blame that on FP!

Best;
Marvin

Mark Parnell

Marvin said:
Oh boy! OK, I now the template has some faults - mostly because I've
re-designed it several times with Front Page due to my lack of HTML
skills.

Ah. FrontPage is *really* *really* bad.
I don't know what you mean by
the JavaScript menu not working though - it's always worked for me -
if it's not working I do need to know about it as my site is getting
more and more traffic.

If it was done in Frontpage, it probably only works in Internet Explorer.
And as I said, it won't work if Javascript is disabled.
Because I don't know much about HTML etc. I'm not sure about the rest
of what you said :) One thing I am certain of though is that the
page must have a lot of errors and could probably be streamlined a
great deal. The problem is that I know no-one who could do this
properly so I'm stuck with myself :->

Yes it does and yes it could. Now is the best time to start learning. :)
If I sent you 20.00 through PayPal could you go through the template
from top to bottom and make it perfect? Maybe that's a cheap offer
but I have little money and zip for proper coding practices :-(

That would be better discussed via email, but somehow I doubt your address
is (e-mail address removed). Yes, that is a rather cheap offer (though I
assume you are talking US$ - I was thinking AU$ at first :) ). Still much
cheaper to learn to do it yourself though! :)
What I need is my template fixed up so that I can base my whole site
on it - this time on a properly coded one.

That's a very good idea.

Marvin Miller

Mark Parnell said:
Ah. FrontPage is *really* *really* bad.

If it was done in Frontpage, it probably only works in Internet Explorer.
And as I said, it won't work if Javascript is disabled.

Yes it does and yes it could. Now is the best time to start learning. :)

That would be better discussed via email, but somehow I doubt your address
is (e-mail address removed). Yes, that is a rather cheap offer (though I
assume you are talking US$ - I was thinking AU$ at first :) ). Still much
cheaper to learn to do it yourself though! :)

That's a very good idea.
Hi Mark;

I sent an email to your the webmaster at your site. I never use my real
email in Usenet for obvious reasons. My current email account is largely
spam free and I'd like to keep it that way if possible.

Thanks everyone for your help (especially Brice) it's given me lots to think
about. Some of the suggestions I can implement, some I can't. So it's likely
that not all the things I need to do can be done on this re-build of the
site - but that's life.

Best & Thanks;
Marvin Miller

Marvin Miller

brucie said:
when your page is sent off to be translated the translation must
rewrite the page with the different text. if you view source on a
pre-translation page and a translated page you can see the
differences. you need to design your pages so the changes made don't
effect the layout or the layout compensates for the changes. at the
moment your markup is a mess. you should start again making sure your
markup is well formed and valid.

you also need to use relative URLs not absolute so when your page is
rewritten the translation script rewrites the internal links of your
site to automatically perform the translation on the next page
visited. this is so a visitor doesn't have to translate every page.

Thanks Brucie - that's an excellent idea and something that I had not
thought of. So if a client picks a language the rest of the site will be in
that language - that's smart!

Marvin Miller

Marvin Miller said:
Thanks Brucie - that's an excellent idea and something that I had not
thought of. So if a client picks a language the rest of the site will be in
that language - that's smart!
Front Page continuously removes or mal-adjusts the PHP code at the top. Is
there any WYSWYG editors out there for HTML & PHP? I tried Zend and it does
not seem to have a WYSIWYG feature :-(
This is getting very frustrating!

Mark Parnell

Marvin said:
Front Page continuously removes or mal-adjusts the PHP code at the
top. Is there any WYSWYG editors out there for HTML & PHP? I tried
Zend and it does not seem to have a WYSIWYG feature :-(
This is getting very frustrating!

Dreamweaver is probably the best of the WYSIWYDG editors - but significantly
overpriced.