Need help with UBUNTU installation

nilanjan.sarkar

I had an old windows2K laptop which I wanted to install ubuntu. The pc
was messed up and so I did a format of the c drive. which wiped out
everything incl os. Now while trying to bootup and then install ubuntu
from a CD I see bootup from CD works but it does not go to the Disk
partitioning or disk management screen at all it just hangs there as I
cannot add partition or such and it does not install to the disk
also.
Any idea how to recognize and configure the disk drive ??

I am not a PC pro and also do not want to spend money on a technician
to build this old obsoleted machine, so just trying to see if I can
install ubuntu and get the hard disk drive usable that is all !!

Help please !!!

Doctor Smith

I had an old windows2K laptop which I wanted to install ubuntu. The pc
was messed up and so I did a format of the c drive. which wiped out
everything incl os. Now while trying to bootup and then install ubuntu
from a CD I see bootup from CD works but it does not go to the Disk
partitioning or disk management screen at all it just hangs there as I
cannot add partition or such and it does not install to the disk
also.
Any idea how to recognize and configure the disk drive ??

I am not a PC pro and also do not want to spend money on a technician
to build this old obsoleted machine, so just trying to see if I can
install ubuntu and get the hard disk drive usable that is all !!

Help please !!!

Search the group for messages by Kelsey Bjarneson as he is the de facto
expert on installing Linux on older machines.

Word has it he was able to install Linux on an original Edison Wax Cylinder
and for years was running a database for a small company.

Peter Berg

Am Fri, 03 Apr 2009 00:42:35 -0700 schrieb nilanjan.sarkar:
I had an old windows2K laptop which I wanted to install ubuntu. The pc
was messed up and so I did a format of the c drive. which wiped out
everything incl os. Now while trying to bootup and then install ubuntu
from a CD I see bootup from CD works but it does not go to the Disk
partitioning or disk management screen at all it just hangs there as I
cannot add partition or such and it does not install to the disk also.
Any idea how to recognize and configure the disk drive ??

I am not a PC pro and also do not want to spend money on a technician to
build this old obsoleted machine, so just trying to see if I can install
ubuntu and get the hard disk drive usable that is all !!

Help please !!!

you can rezize your old partition with cfdisk

JEDIDIAH

Am Fri, 03 Apr 2009 00:42:35 -0700 schrieb nilanjan.sarkar:

you can rezize your old partition with cfdisk

A Linux equivalent of "partition magic" is now a part of of the
standard Ubuntu installer. There is no need to blow away anything.