Need help with Visual C++ error message

Patrick Reany

I wrote a C++ progam nine years ago and I haven't been in C++ since
then. I re-installed Visual C++ 4.0 on a Win98 machine and tried to
compile the program value.cpp but I get the error message

Cannot open file : 'stream.h': Permission denied.

I am really out of practice with C++ and I want to get back into it
now. The program 'value.cpp' and its header file 'header.h' can be
found at:

http://ajnpx.com/temp/

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

Patrick

Victor Bazarov

Patrick said:
I wrote a C++ progam nine years ago and I haven't been in C++ since
then. I re-installed Visual C++ 4.0 on a Win98 machine and tried to
compile the program value.cpp but I get the error message

Cannot open file : 'stream.h': Permission denied.

I am really out of practice with C++ and I want to get back into it
now. The program 'value.cpp' and its header file 'header.h' can be
found at:

When things like that happen, the language really has nothing to
do with it. If a file cannot be open due to permission conflict,
it's the installation issue or a log-in issue or something else
operating-system-related.

Please ask in microsoft.public.vc.ide_general. It's quite possible
that you're not going to get far, since VC++ v4 is at least eight
years old. Be prepared to read "you're on your own".

I recommend you to find a good open-source development environment,
like Dev-C++ along with MinGW. You will have a compiler that is
much closer to the language as specified in the Standard, and the
build environment that is much more up to date.

Victor

John Harrison

Patrick Reany said:
I wrote a C++ progam nine years ago and I haven't been in C++ since
then. I re-installed Visual C++ 4.0 on a Win98 machine and tried to
compile the program value.cpp but I get the error message

Cannot open file : 'stream.h': Permission denied.

I am really out of practice with C++ and I want to get back into it
now. The program 'value.cpp' and its header file 'header.h' can be
found at:

The program you are looking at was written by someone who preferred Pascal.
If you want to get back into C++ I suggest you at least find a program
written by someone who actually likes the language.

And you really need an up to date compiler. There are free ones if you don't
want to pay.

john