    Any help is appreciated.

    TIA

    Patrick
    Patrick Reany, May 28, 2004

  2. Patrick Reany wrote:
    > I wrote a C++ progam nine years ago and I haven't been in C++ since
    > then. I re-installed Visual C++ 4.0 on a Win98 machine and tried to
    > compile the program value.cpp but I get the error message
    >
    > Cannot open file : 'stream.h': Permission denied.
    >
    > I am really out of practice with C++ and I want to get back into it
    > now. The program 'value.cpp' and its header file 'header.h' can be
    > found at:

    When things like that happen, the language really has nothing to
    do with it. If a file cannot be open due to permission conflict,
    it's the installation issue or a log-in issue or something else
    operating-system-related.

    Please ask in microsoft.public.vc.ide_general. It's quite possible
    that you're not going to get far, since VC++ v4 is at least eight
    years old. Be prepared to read "you're on your own".

    I recommend you to find a good open-source development environment,
    like Dev-C++ along with MinGW. You will have a compiler that is
    much closer to the language as specified in the Standard, and the
    build environment that is much more up to date.

    Victor
    Victor Bazarov, May 28, 2004

  3. "Patrick Reany" <> wrote in message
    > I wrote a C++ progam nine years ago and I haven't been in C++ since
    > then. I re-installed Visual C++ 4.0 on a Win98 machine and tried to
    > compile the program value.cpp but I get the error message
    >
    > Cannot open file : 'stream.h': Permission denied.
    >
    > I am really out of practice with C++ and I want to get back into it
    > now. The program 'value.cpp' and its header file 'header.h' can be
    > found at:

    The program you are looking at was written by someone who preferred Pascal.
    If you want to get back into C++ I suggest you at least find a program
    written by someone who actually likes the language.

    And you really need an up to date compiler. There are free ones if you don't
    want to pay.

    john
    John Harrison, May 28, 2004