Need .htaccess Info

Edward Alfert

(e-mail address removed) (Davmagic .Com) wrote in 3158.bay.webtv.net:
I just registered a new Domain ( www.paintahouse.com ) and had it
"Parked" at my host www.cedant.com where it "Points" to my frontpage
www.davmagic.com

I really want it to Point to a directory and file
www.davmagic.com/paint/PAGES1.html but my host says that they "do not
provide that service"

So, my Question is, Can I use my .htaccess to configure the new Domain
to point to the file that I really want? And if so, how do I do it?

Try the following:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.paintahouse\.com$
RewriteRule ^www\.paintahouse\.com(.*) http://www\.davmagic
\.com/paint/PAGES1.html [R,L]

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

Davmagic .Com said:
I just registered a new Domain ( www.paintahouse.com ) and had it
"Parked" at my host www.cedant.com where it "Points" to my frontpage
www.davmagic.com

I really want it to Point to a directory and file
www.davmagic.com/paint/PAGES1.html but my host says that they "do not
provide that service"

So, my Question is, Can I use my .htaccess to configure the new Domain
to point to the file that I really want? And if so, how do I do it?

They don't provide that service?!

Okay, well, be that as it is...check to see if your registrar offers
redirects. I know eNom, DirectNIC and probably alot of others do. You can
then set up the redirect from there...bypassing your host.

--Tina

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Tina - AffordableHOST.com scribbled in the
mud:
Okay, well, be that as it is...check to see if your registrar offers
redirects. I know eNom, DirectNIC and probably alot of others do.
You can then set up the redirect from there...bypassing your host.

--Tina

I would never bypass my host. ;)

Jan Faerber

So, my Question is, Can I use my .htaccess to configure the new Domain
to point to the file that I really want? And if so, how do I do it?

I think it would be better to take this:

"The term Virtual Host refers to the practice of running more than one web
site (such as www.company1.com and www.company2.com) on a single machine.
Virtual hosts can be "IP-based", meaning that you have a different IP
address for every web site, or "name-based", meaning that you have
multiple names running on each IP address. The fact that they are running
on the same physical server is not apparent to the end user."

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/

hm???

Jan

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

Duende said:
While sitting in a puddle Tina - AffordableHOST.com scribbled in the
mud:

I would never bypass my host. ;)

Yeah, but you are welcome to redirect to your heart's content! :)

By the way, what is everyone's (for anyone who uses it) opinion of eNom's
DNS/redirect service?

--Tina

Jan Faerber

You can't set up Vhosts in an .htaccess file -- they have to go in the
main Apache config files.

I don´t know how exactly you have to setup Vhosts
but I know that it is something different than to use an .htaccess file.
I thought to use the .htaccess file would mean that you can
set an Alias for an URL but it is not exactly what Davmag.com is looking
for.
Wouldn´t it change the given URL from the client which is added as an
Alias in the .htaccess file
to the original DNS name in the address line of the browser?
And can you use an Alias for the root directory when you have two
different DNS names?
One for the root directory and one for ..../paint/... ?

Anyway - at the moment I can not run a cgi script though I added "Options
+ExcCGI" in the .htaccess file
after setting "AllowOverride Options" in the httpd.conf file.

)-:

Jan

Jan Faerber

but I know that it is something different than to use an .htaccess file.

ups ... there is a section in the .htaccess - file at the very bottom
to setup a vhost!

Jan

Davmagic .Com

From: (e-mail address removed)
(Edward Alfert)
Try the following:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond   %{HTTP_HOST}
^www\.paintahouse\.com$ RewriteRule
^www\.paintahouse\.com(.*)
http://www\.davmagic
\.com/paint/PAGES1.html [R,L]

I tried that with no success, any other ideas? BTW I am currently using
a JS redirect, but it disables the back button...

TIA

Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
INFO 2000 For You
http://www.davmagic.com
See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp

Davmagic .Com

Well, I finally downloaded a CGI and got it to work... "Domain Director"
(do a Google for it)... it only works from your main html directory not
from your cgi-bin ... use their help forum for setting it up properly...
nice and the back button is not disabled as with the JS I was using...