    provide that service"

    So, my Question is, Can I use my .htaccess to configure the new Domain
    to point to the file that I really want? And if so, how do I do it?
    Davmagic .Com, Jan 6, 2004

  2. (Davmagic .Com) wrote in news:22148-3FFABC53-466@storefull-
    3158.bay.webtv.net:

    > I just registered a new Domain ( www.paintahouse.com ) and had it
    > "Parked" at my host www.cedant.com where it "Points" to my frontpage
    > www.davmagic.com
    >
    > I really want it to Point to a directory and file
    > www.davmagic.com/paint/PAGES1.html but my host says that they "do not
    > provide that service"
    >
    > So, my Question is, Can I use my .htaccess to configure the new Domain
    > to point to the file that I really want? And if so, how do I do it?

    Try the following:

    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.paintahouse\.com$
    RewriteRule ^www\.paintahouse\.com(.*) http://www\.davmagic
    \.com/paint/PAGES1.html [R,L]

    --
    Edward Alfert - http://www.rootmode.com/
    Coupon Code (Recurring $5/month Discount): newsgroup
    Edward Alfert, Jan 6, 2004

  3. "Davmagic .Com" <> wrote in message
    > I just registered a new Domain ( www.paintahouse.com ) and had it
    > "Parked" at my host www.cedant.com where it "Points" to my frontpage
    > www.davmagic.com
    >
    > I really want it to Point to a directory and file
    > www.davmagic.com/paint/PAGES1.html but my host says that they "do not
    > provide that service"
    >
    > So, my Question is, Can I use my .htaccess to configure the new Domain
    > to point to the file that I really want? And if so, how do I do it?

    They don't provide that service?!

    Okay, well, be that as it is...check to see if your registrar offers
    redirects. I know eNom, DirectNIC and probably alot of others do. You can
    then set up the redirect from there...bypassing your host.

    --Tina

    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com
    20% Discount Code: newsgroup
    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Davmagic .Com

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Tina - AffordableHOST.com scribbled in the
    mud:

    > Okay, well, be that as it is...check to see if your registrar offers
    > redirects. I know eNom, DirectNIC and probably alot of others do.
    > You can then set up the redirect from there...bypassing your host.
    >
    > --Tina

    I would never bypass my host. ;)

    --
    Duende
    The best defense against logic is ignorance.
    Duende, Jan 6, 2004
  5. Davmagic .Com

    Jan Faerber Guest

    > So, my Question is, Can I use my .htaccess to configure the new Domain
    > to point to the file that I really want? And if so, how do I do it?

    I think it would be better to take this:

    "The term Virtual Host refers to the practice of running more than one web
    site (such as www.company1.com and www.company2.com) on a single machine.
    Virtual hosts can be "IP-based", meaning that you have a different IP
    address for every web site, or "name-based", meaning that you have
    multiple names running on each IP address. The fact that they are running
    on the same physical server is not apparent to the end user."

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/

    hm???

    Jan

    Jan Faerber, Jan 6, 2004
  6. "Duende" <> wrote in message
    > While sitting in a puddle Tina - AffordableHOST.com scribbled in the
    > mud:
    >
    > > Okay, well, be that as it is...check to see if your registrar offers
    > > redirects. I know eNom, DirectNIC and probably alot of others do.
    > > You can then set up the redirect from there...bypassing your host.
    > >
    > > --Tina
    > >

    > I would never bypass my host. ;)

    Yeah, but you are welcome to redirect to your heart's content! :)

    By the way, what is everyone's (for anyone who uses it) opinion of eNom's
    DNS/redirect service?

    --Tina

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Jan 6, 2004
  7. Toby A Inkster, Jan 7, 2004
  8. Davmagic .Com

    Jan Faerber Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 07:35:19 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    <> wrote:

    > You can't set up Vhosts in an .htaccess file -- they have to go in the
    > main Apache config files.

    I don´t know how exactly you have to setup Vhosts
    but I know that it is something different than to use an .htaccess file.
    I thought to use the .htaccess file would mean that you can
    set an Alias for an URL but it is not exactly what Davmag.com is looking
    for.
    Wouldn´t it change the given URL from the client which is added as an
    Alias in the .htaccess file
    to the original DNS name in the address line of the browser?
    And can you use an Alias for the root directory when you have two
    different DNS names?
    One for the root directory and one for ..../paint/... ?

    Anyway - at the moment I can not run a cgi script though I added "Options
    +ExcCGI" in the .htaccess file
    after setting "AllowOverride Options" in the httpd.conf file.

    )-:

    Jan

    Jan Faerber, Jan 8, 2004
  9. Davmagic .Com

    Jan Faerber Guest

    > And can you use an Alias for the root directory when you have two

    or redirect - ^^^^^^

    Jan Faerber, Jan 8, 2004
  10. Davmagic .Com

    Jan Faerber Guest

    > but I know that it is something different than to use an .htaccess file.

    ups ... there is a section in the .htaccess - file at the very bottom
    to setup a vhost!

    Jan

    Jan Faerber, Jan 8, 2004

  11. >From:
    >(Edward Alfert)
    >Try the following:
    >RewriteEngine on
    >RewriteCond   %{HTTP_HOST}
    >^www\.paintahouse\.com$ RewriteRule
    >^www\.paintahouse\.com(.*)
    >http://www\.davmagic
    >\.com/paint/PAGES1.html [R,L]

    I tried that with no success, any other ideas? BTW I am currently using
    a JS redirect, but it disables the back button...

    TIA

    Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
    INFO 2000 For You
    http://www.davmagic.com
    See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
    Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp
    Davmagic .Com, Jan 13, 2004
  12. Well, I finally downloaded a CGI and got it to work... "Domain Director"
    (do a Google for it)... it only works from your main html directory not
    from your cgi-bin ... use their help forum for setting it up properly...
    nice and the back button is not disabled as with the JS I was using...

    Davmagic .Com, Jan 14, 2004