Need installer recommendation

Alan Biddle

Hi,

I could use a recommendation on a free installer for use by an
unsophisticated programmer, that would be me, for some simple programs
which are a bit more than "Hello World," but only a little. Basically
reading text files and processing the results. Nothing fancy. I am
using PY2EXE to create the distribution.

In doing the Google, and from past posting here, I see that most
recommendations are for inno and nsis. I expect that either would do
what I want. Is one a better choice for someone to learn enough to do
basic stuff without getting bogged down in details which are not
immediately important?

Gabriel Genellina

I could use a recommendation on a free installer for use by an
unsophisticated programmer, that would be me, for some simple programs
which are a bit more than "Hello World," but only a little. Basically
reading text files and processing the results. Nothing fancy. I am
using PY2EXE to create the distribution.

In doing the Google, and from past posting here, I see that most
recommendations are for inno and nsis. I expect that either would do
what I want. Is one a better choice for someone to learn enough to do
basic stuff without getting bogged down in details which are not
immediately important?

I, for myself, prefer InnoSetup. For a simple and standard installer, just
use the wizard to create it, and you're done.

Alan Biddle

Thanks you very much for the suggestion. I will give it a try.

Since I posted the original question, I have tried PyInstaller. I am
using Python 2.6.4, which is technically not supported, but it worked
fine for the simple programs I tried, and simple enough even for me.
;)