Need Java 1.3 for Linux ADM64 (x86_64 architecture)

David

I just got a new build machine, and I had been attempting to install
our development environment on it. It's a bit weird for various
reasons. I need to do a Java 1.3 build for Weblogic and a 1.4 build for
JBoss.

The problem is that the machine I snagged is Linux 2.6 on ADM64 chip
(x86_64 arch). When I downloaded the jdk1.3.1_19 from Sun, I got
"Error: can't find libjava.so.". I traced this down to a shell script
called ".java_wrapper" that bin/java actually links to. This script was
doing a "uname -m" to get the architecture of the machine. Since this
system returns a "x86_64" instead of "i686" or "i386", it couldn't find
the i386 directory for Linux.

I modified the .java_wrapper script in both the jdk*/bin and
jdk*/jre/bin directory, and that stopped the "can't find libjava.so"
errors, but other errors occurred which makes me believe that this
version of Java isn't compatible with the 64bit architecture of my
system.

I've looked for a 64 bit version of JDK1.3, but I haven't been able to
find one. Does one exist, or is it possible to somehow get this JDK1.3
working with my system?

The JDK1.3 was downloaded from Sun. My Linux implementation is SUSe.

Florian Weimer

* David:
The problem is that the machine I snagged is Linux 2.6 on ADM64 chip
(x86_64 arch). When I downloaded the jdk1.3.1_19 from Sun, I got
"Error: can't find libjava.so.". I traced this down to a shell script
called ".java_wrapper" that bin/java actually links to. This script was
doing a "uname -m" to get the architecture of the machine. Since this
system returns a "x86_64" instead of "i686" or "i386", it couldn't find
the i386 directory for Linux.

You could use linux32 in a 32-bit chroot environment (that's what
chroot is actually for). The only difference to a real 32-bit host
will be address space layout (user space can use the full 4 GB).

If your JDK 1.3 installation has got an implicit dependency on a
specific range of Linux kernel or GNU libc versions , this still might
not work. You could hunt down one of those early AMD64 2.4 kernels
and try with that, but at that point, it's probably better to focus on
moving away from JDK 1.3.

Andrew Thompson

David said:
I just got a new build machine, ...

...can you use it for things more productive
than multi-posting, from now on?

(X-post to c.l.j.p./h., w/ f-u to c.l.j.p. only)

Andrew T.

Lew

Andrew said:
..can you use it for things more productive
than multi-posting, from now on?

(X-post to c.l.j.p./h., w/ f-u to c.l.j.p. only)

Andrew T.

That's funny. I gave the same advice, but set f-u to clj.help.

What happens when vigilantes get their signals crossed.

- Lew

Andrew Thompson

Lew said:
That's funny. I gave the same advice, but set f-u to clj.help.

What happens when vigilantes get their signals crossed.

I would have the thought the confusion was a
result of the multi-post (shrugs).

Note that if the OP had the 'decency'* to put them
under exactly the same title, our posts would not
have crossed.

* Used with all due sarcasm.

Andrew T.