Need Java IDE Recommedation

Ray Mitchell

Hello,

I'm totally new to Java and would like a recommendation for a
well-supported, easy-to-use Java IDE. All I've seen is an old version of
Visual Cafe and would appreciate any input and recommendations on current
products. I've used Microsoft VS 7.0 for C# and I really like the way it
generates so much of the Forms code automatically. I was hoping for
something of that nature for Java.

Thanks,
Ray Mitchell
(e-mail address removed)

David Segall

Ray Mitchell said:
Hello,

I'm totally new to Java and would like a recommendation for a
well-supported, easy-to-use Java IDE. All I've seen is an old version of
Visual Cafe and would appreciate any input and recommendations on current
products. I've used Microsoft VS 7.0 for C# and I really like the way it
generates so much of the Forms code automatically. I was hoping for
something of that nature for Java.

Thanks,
Ray Mitchell
(e-mail address removed)
If you want an IDE that offers that provides WYSIWYG graphical user
interface development and generates the code for you here are some
suggestions.

Netbeans (www.netbeans.org) is free and Open Source. Borland JBuilder
Personal Edition (http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/personal/index.html)
is also free (or $10.00 if you want it on CD). Eclipse
(www.eclipse.org) is a popular Open Source IDE and there is a free
plug-in, http://www.assisiplugins.com/index_start.html, that provides
a primitive WYSIWYG editor which is restricted to Swing GUI
development.

Oracle's JDeveloper (http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/content.html)
is a free download that is not time limited but the license severely
restricts what you can do with programs you write if you do not pay
for it. The latest (pre-release) version of JDeveloper even provides
WYSIWYG editing of HTML pages. If the price is not an issue you can
also look at Sun One, IBM's Websphere Studio Application Developer
and the enterprise versions of Borland JBuilder. All of them have time
limited free versions for you to try.

Of all of these I found JBuilder the easiest introduction to Swing
from my Visual Basic background. If it was my job to choose one for an
enterprise my favourite would be JDeveloper although I would deserve
to be fired if I did so on my current level of knowledge. For my own
use I have chosen NetBeans because it is Open Source and contains
almost everything I think I need.

Juha Laiho

Ray Mitchell said:
I'm totally new to Java and would like a recommendation for a
well-supported, easy-to-use Java IDE.

For background, please search for java IDE recommendation
on groups.google.com.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Nils_O=2E_Sel=E5sdal?=

Hello,
I'm totally new to Java and would like a recommendation for a
well-supported, easy-to-use Java IDE. All I've seen is an old version of
Visual Cafe and would appreciate any input and recommendations on current
products. I've used Microsoft VS 7.0 for C# and I really like the way it
generates so much of the Forms code automatically. I was hoping for
something of that nature for Java.
Which you should use you should decide for yourself, among (free) IDE's you
defintly should try are:
Netbeans - www.netbeans.org
JBuilder Personal Edition - www.borland.com
Eclipse - www.eclipse.org

bm

I am using JDeveloper now and I am really happy with it. Before
I was exclusively a Microsoft Visual Studio developer. But if I
had the money or was able to convince my company, I would use
IBM WebShpere. Now that's a high-end IDE.

David Segall

bm said:
I am using JDeveloper now and I am really happy with it. Before
I was exclusively a Microsoft Visual Studio developer. But if I
had the money or was able to convince my company, I would use
IBM WebShpere. Now that's a high-end IDE.
What is it about Websphere that makes it better than JDeveloper?

bm

David Segall said:
What is it about Websphere that makes it better than JDeveloper?

I must say, my comments are based on my friend's comments who
works at IBM WebSphere project. So naturally there is some bias.
But that aside, in 2001 alone IBM has spend 1 billion dollars to
inhance and promote WebShpere. They even bought Ratinal Rose
to add it to WebShpere. Now that's commitment to a product.

Don't get me wrong I like JDeveloper and it is enough for every
web development that I do. But JDeveloper is not the front runner
application for Oracle as is WebShpere for IBM. So where would
you invest your money, if you had to?

X_AWemner_X

I am using JDeveloper now and I am really happy with it. Before
I was exclusively a Microsoft Visual Studio developer. But if I
had the money or was able to convince my company, I would use
IBM WebShpere. Now that's a high-end IDE.

Probably original post was looking for a plain Java IDE with drag&drop UI
designer. J2EE services are a different story.

JDeveloper has a decent drag&drop UI designer. If I'm right, its based on
Borland JBuilder code what they licensed early days.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/akini/java/docs/javaide.html