    something of that nature for Java.

    Thanks,
    Ray Mitchell
    Ray Mitchell, Oct 26, 2003

  2. Ray Mitchell

    David Segall Guest

    "Ray Mitchell" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm totally new to Java and would like a recommendation for a
    >well-supported, easy-to-use Java IDE. All I've seen is an old version of
    >Visual Cafe and would appreciate any input and recommendations on current
    >products. I've used Microsoft VS 7.0 for C# and I really like the way it
    >generates so much of the Forms code automatically. I was hoping for
    >something of that nature for Java.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Ray Mitchell

    If you want an IDE that offers that provides WYSIWYG graphical user
    interface development and generates the code for you here are some
    suggestions.

    Netbeans (www.netbeans.org) is free and Open Source. Borland JBuilder
    Personal Edition (http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/personal/index.html)
    is also free (or $10.00 if you want it on CD). Eclipse
    (www.eclipse.org) is a popular Open Source IDE and there is a free
    plug-in, http://www.assisiplugins.com/index_start.html, that provides
    a primitive WYSIWYG editor which is restricted to Swing GUI
    development.

    Oracle's JDeveloper (http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/content.html)
    is a free download that is not time limited but the license severely
    restricts what you can do with programs you write if you do not pay
    for it. The latest (pre-release) version of JDeveloper even provides
    WYSIWYG editing of HTML pages. If the price is not an issue you can
    also look at Sun One, IBM's Websphere Studio Application Developer
    and the enterprise versions of Borland JBuilder. All of them have time
    limited free versions for you to try.

    Of all of these I found JBuilder the easiest introduction to Swing
    from my Visual Basic background. If it was my job to choose one for an
    enterprise my favourite would be JDeveloper although I would deserve
    to be fired if I did so on my current level of knowledge. For my own
    use I have chosen NetBeans because it is Open Source and contains
    almost everything I think I need.
    David Segall, Oct 26, 2003

  3. Ray Mitchell

    G D Guest

    Download the latest SUN JDK - 1.4.2_02 then use

    Try http://www.eclipse.org

    G D, Oct 26, 2003
  4. Ray Mitchell

    ak Guest

    Intellij IDEA is very good but expensive (3 weeks tryout) www.intellij.com,
    eclipse is not so good but free www.eclipse.org.

    ak, Oct 26, 2003
  5. Ray Mitchell

    David Segall Guest

    "ak" <> wrote:

    >Intellij IDEA is very good but expensive (3 weeks tryout) www.intellij.com,
    >eclipse is not so good but free www.eclipse.org.

    But neither, even with some available add-ins, will meet the OP's
    desire to have GUI code generated automatically.

    David Segall, Oct 26, 2003
  6. Ray Mitchell

    Juha Laiho Guest

    "Ray Mitchell" <> said:
    >I'm totally new to Java and would like a recommendation for a
    >well-supported, easy-to-use Java IDE.

    For background, please search for java IDE recommendation
    on groups.google.com.
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland
    Juha Laiho, Oct 26, 2003
  7. > Hello,

    > I'm totally new to Java and would like a recommendation for a
    > well-supported, easy-to-use Java IDE. All I've seen is an old version of
    > Visual Cafe and would appreciate any input and recommendations on current
    > products. I've used Microsoft VS 7.0 for C# and I really like the way it
    > generates so much of the Forms code automatically. I was hoping for
    > something of that nature for Java.

    Which you should use you should decide for yourself, among (free) IDE's you
    defintly should try are:
    Netbeans - www.netbeans.org
    JBuilder Personal Edition - www.borland.com
    Eclipse - www.eclipse.org
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nils_O=2E_Sel=E5sdal?=, Oct 26, 2003
  8. Ray Mitchell

    bm Guest

    I am using JDeveloper now and I am really happy with it. Before
    I was exclusively a Microsoft Visual Studio developer. But if I
    had the money or was able to convince my company, I would use
    IBM WebShpere. Now that's a high-end IDE.

    bm, Oct 27, 2003
  9. Ray Mitchell

    David Segall Guest

    "bm" <> wrote:

    >I am using JDeveloper now and I am really happy with it. Before
    >I was exclusively a Microsoft Visual Studio developer. But if I
    >had the money or was able to convince my company, I would use
    >IBM WebShpere. Now that's a high-end IDE.

    What is it about Websphere that makes it better than JDeveloper?

    David Segall, Oct 27, 2003
  10. Ray Mitchell

    bm Guest

    "David Segall" <> wrote in message
    > "bm" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I am using JDeveloper now and I am really happy with it. Before
    > >I was exclusively a Microsoft Visual Studio developer. But if I
    > >had the money or was able to convince my company, I would use
    > >IBM WebShpere. Now that's a high-end IDE.

    > What is it about Websphere that makes it better than JDeveloper?

    I must say, my comments are based on my friend's comments who
    works at IBM WebSphere project. So naturally there is some bias.
    But that aside, in 2001 alone IBM has spend 1 billion dollars to
    inhance and promote WebShpere. They even bought Ratinal Rose
    to add it to WebShpere. Now that's commitment to a product.

    Don't get me wrong I like JDeveloper and it is enough for every
    web development that I do. But JDeveloper is not the front runner
    application for Oracle as is WebShpere for IBM. So where would
    you invest your money, if you had to?
    bm, Oct 27, 2003
  11. Ray Mitchell

    X_AWemner_X Guest

    > I am using JDeveloper now and I am really happy with it. Before
    > I was exclusively a Microsoft Visual Studio developer. But if I
    > had the money or was able to convince my company, I would use
    > IBM WebShpere. Now that's a high-end IDE.

    Probably original post was looking for a plain Java IDE with drag&drop UI
    designer. J2EE services are a different story.

    JDeveloper has a decent drag&drop UI designer. If I'm right, its based on
    Borland JBuilder code what they licensed early days.

    http://koti.mbnet.fi/akini/java/docs/javaide.html
    X_AWemner_X, Oct 27, 2003