Need non-bloated IDE that runs under Vista

Mickey Segal

Since my trusty ancient Java IDE doesn't run under Vista, I'm looking for an
IDE that will do basic formatted editing with syntax checking and allow me
to debug applets running in a browser. I don't need refactoring, I don't
need CVS, and I don't even need it to make my JAR files.

So far I've looked at Eclipse, which seems bloated and intrusive in offering
to modify code for you. I'm also looking at NetBeans, which seems intent on
organizing your folders for you and offers to open a browser but I don't see
how to debug an applet in a browser. NetBeans has a "community" but I
registered for it and never got the password (I have no email filtering).

I've seen mention of IDEA, jEdit and jCreator.

What would be a good choice for a basic IDE that would allow me to write
code, make classes, allow debugging using a browser, but otherwise not try
to organize my code for me?

John

Mickey said:
[...]

JCreator, Crimson Editor (maybe) and SCiTE (comes with Ruby) to name 3.

Chris Uppal

Mickey said:
Since my trusty ancient Java IDE doesn't run under Vista, I'm looking for
an IDE that will do basic formatted editing with syntax checking and
allow me to debug applets running in a browser.

Just curious, but what was the trusty ancient Java IDE which allowed you to
debug applets in a browser ?

I ask because I don't see any easy way of doing it without embedding a somewhat
custom browser into the IDE (if you just launch the user's installed browser
then it'll almost certainly run in the same OS process as any other browser
instances, which means that it would have to share their existing JVM, if
any -- which would make setting up a debugging JVM session tricky, if it were
possible at all).

I've seen mention of IDEA, jEdit and jCreator.

I don't think IDEA counts as non-bloated in your sense (well regarded, yes,
light weight no ;-) None too cheap either.

You might add jGRASP to the list. But (as far as I know) that also is unable
to debug applets in situ.

-- chris

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Mickey said:
[...]

I do not have clue about what you mean by debugging using a browser.

JEdit is a good allround editor that allow you to write code
and (unless you install plugins) only do some colour coding.

I like it.

Arne

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

cp said:
You could try BlueJ.

Some think that BlueJ is good for learning OOP
in Java.

But I do not think that was the original posters
desire.

Arne

Mickey Segal

Chris Uppal said:
Just curious, but what was the trusty ancient Java IDE which allowed you
debug applets in a browser ?

It was Microsoft's Visual J++. It was very convenient because there were no
problems passing browser-dependent parameters determined using JavaScript in
the browser page, and therefore no need for a special way of launching the
software.

David Segall

Mickey Segal said:
What would be a good choice for a basic IDE that would allow me to write
code, make classes, allow debugging using a browser, but otherwise not try
to organize my code for me?
Your definition of bloated seems to be my definition of complete so I
won't refer you to my list. Roedy Green has a list at
<http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ide.html>.

Larry Barowski

Chris Uppal said:
Just curious, but what was the trusty ancient Java IDE which allowed you
debug applets in a browser ?

For the Sun JRE plug-in, you can set up debug startup options using the
Java Control Panel, then attach the debugger to the applet once it is
started, as long as the IDE has the capability to attach the debugger to
an existing process. Of course, that is not as convenient as a one-step
browser launch and wait-for-attach.
You might add jGRASP to the list. But (as far as I know) that also is
unable
to debug applets in situ.

It lacks the capability to debug an existing process, but now that
you've mentioned it we will add it. We already use an attaching
connector for the normal debug launch, so it's fairly trivial.
jGRASP currently has some problems on Vista as well, but
we're working on them.

jussij

Mickey said:
What would be a good choice for a basic IDE that would
allow me to write code, make classes, allow debugging
using a browser, but otherwise not try to organize my
code for me?

The Zeus IDE has Java support:

http://www.zeusedit.com/php.html

NOTE: Zeus is shareware.

It does thinks like syntax highlighting, code folding,
integrated version control, project/workspace, class
browsing etc.

It can also be configure for Java intellisensing:

http://www.zeusedit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=731

or for integrated Java SDK help:

http://www.zeusedit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10

Jussi Jumppanen