Need Pulldowns That Filter What you Type

Shawn Gordhamer

I have some javascript that filters a select list as you type into
another field. This whittles down the list as you are typing.
Basically, it monitors for keypresses and removes things from the
associated select list as you type.

I took this and wrote some code that lets you type on the select list
itself and it opens up the list (size=5) and filters the list as you
type. When you find the single element in the list or leave the list,
it turns back into a normal pulldown (size=1). The drawback is that
the user can't see what is typed.

What I really want is to make a text field appear above the select
dropdown. When a user starts typing on a select list, the list opens
up and above it appears a text field where the user can type in. When
the user leaves the pulldown, the text field disappears and it returns
to a normal pulldown.

Any help would be appreciated.

Shawn Gordhamer