Need recommendations for simple webhosting

wylbur37

A friend of mine has a small and simple website (static pages only)
using AOL as the host. He also has an email address with them.

Whenever he needs to update any of his webpages, he uses FrontPage and
then apparently goes through some sort of AOL application that posts
the new webpage onto the server.

Recently he had his computer scanned to get rid of viruses/spyware and
discovered afterwards that the AOL mechanism (that posts his webpages
to the server) no longer works. I suspect that the AOL software had
some sort of spyware wired into it, and the AdAware and/or Spybot S&D
must have deleted that spyware. Has anyone found this to be true?

To make a long story short, I was about to recommend that he take his
website off AOL and find some other webhost elsewhere (especially
since he gets DSL through his phone company and therefore doesn't need
AOL for connectivity). I don't know how much he pays AOL, but I doubt
that it's less than what other competitors would charge for a simple
website. Any recommendations for simple webhosts?

Are there websites that compare features and prices for webhosts?

Andrew Bailey

Hi,

If he just wants "simple" hosting then I suspect that his ISP provides a
certain amount of web space free of charge (I'm with NTL and get 50MB of
webspace with my broadband package). If he wants something a little bit
bigger, faster and with extra features (most notably the ability to run
server-side scripts and create databases) then he will have to use a
professional hosting company.

I use and recommend https://www.terranetwork.net/index.php Their packages
start from £3 per month.

Hope that helps

Andy

Paul Lautman

Take a look at www.QiQ.cc. Under £20 a year, excellent suport, PHP, PERL,
SSH access, unlimited email addresses & MySQL databases, ......

Galen

In Andrew Bailey had this to say:

If he just wants "simple" hosting then I suspect that his ISP
provides a certain amount of web space free of charge (I'm with NTL
and get 50MB of webspace with my broadband package). If he wants
something a little bit bigger, faster and with extra features (most
notably the ability to run server-side scripts and create databases)
then he will have to use a professional hosting company.

I use and recommend https://www.terranetwork.net/index.php Their
packages start from £3 per month.

Hope that helps

Andy

I see people are still posting to this so... Well... Simply the lesser
expensive hosting companies aren't always going to be there. Read up in the
various forums and, well, you'll see...

If there was a price guide here I could help you out a bit more and, really,
I'm not going to recommend myself or my company so I'm going to suggest - in
all honesty - that you take a look at some of the free hosting companies.
How? What? Are you insane? (Those are things you might ask.) No... Netfirms,
Yahoo, etc? They offer free hosting and no, don't get the free hosting but
rather get their paid versions. They're up ALL the time basically. Support
is "OKAY" for the most part. Feature set's fine for most. Etc...

Carolyn Marenger

wylbur37 said:
[...]

www.netfirms.com is one possibility - it may be more than he needs.
www.godaddy.com offers a little less for a little less. (Godaddy will send
lots of sales promos and stuff whenever they can justify it.)

Carolyn

Galen

In Carolyn Marenger had this to say:

www.netfirms.com is one possibility - it may be more than he needs.
www.godaddy.com offers a little less for a little less. (Godaddy
will send lots of sales promos and stuff whenever they can justify
it.)

Carolyn

Gah! I'm still awake???

Check (and if you're not there yet Carolyn you will be *grins)
www.webhostingtalk.com for some recent GoDaddy reviews... Join - I suspect
you'll enjoy it.

Galen

(You'll find me as KGIII on the forums. Been there since 02 or so?)