need simple beep and taint mode

Yohan N. Leder

Because you were getting error messages that you did not mention.

No, because this code was launched trhough a blind Win32::process and,
then, byt the way, I didn't seen this error message myself before
running it by hand from a DOS-box.

Yohan N. Leder

sherm@Sherm- said:
I think you mentioned earlier that you're writing an internal app on a LAN,
so I won't get into the wisdom(?) of noisy pages on the WWW. ;-\

When I said that ? Fact is that I needed this beep in a process called
in cmdline with DOS-box as STDOUT : this is solved. And, for a future
project it could b possible I need same thing for CGI environment.
have an idea without using any external module?

It depends on why you want the beep to happen. The simplest possible way
would be to print an <object> and/or <embed> that refers to a sound file.
[...]

OK, noted for time I'll have to do it.

Yohan N. Leder

Reading *is* interpretation -- if that basic fact has escaped you your
world view is simplistic indeed.

My interpretation is based on the half-dozen or so questions per week
we get here that are announced as "quick", "easy", "simple", and so forth.
It's a stereotype that invariably aims at attracting more attempts to
answer the question. In the long run, that gets annoying. Yours was
no different from any other of its kind.

Anno

What a drastic behavior. Take a cold drink and be cool. Nobody force you
to answert o anything : it's your choice !

Yohan N. Leder

sherm@Sherm- said:
Heh. That's not limited to this group. How many times has your boss asked
you for a "quick little app" that wound up taking days to finish?

I did it too, of course, and, even, spent long time - close to two years
- to develop a project (a C one) which didn't been used at the end ;
company closed some weeks before. And, I never though I did lost my
time. A matter of nature.

Yohan N. Leder

sherm@Sherm- said:
I probably mixed you up with someone else. I did say "I think", you know. :)

Not any problem ! I'm of cool nature, you know and more when the room is
close to 35°C ;-)

Joe Smith

Yohan said:
Nevertheless, because you talk about CGI orientation, it interest me too
to know how to produce a simple beep in internal speaker when script is
reached through web server and current STDOUT is a web browser. Do you
have an idea without using any external module ? Or, what's the module
that gives the best combination reliability-simplicity under both Unix
and Win ?

The phrase "current STDOUT is a web browser" means you want this to
happen while the CGI is executing on the web server. If the web browser
is in France and the web server is in California, making the server's
internal speaker go 'beep' is really not a good idea. There's no one
to hear it, and 100 hits per minute would create an awful noise in
the server room.

I assume you really want to make a noise on the PC the browser is
running on. There is no way to do that in plain HTML, so you would
have to resort to something like Java, JavaScript, VBScript, Direct-X, etc.
That sort of behavior is _not_ portable and often not possible.

-Joe

Joe Smith

Yohan said:
Also, and as I said to Sherm P. in this thread too, I'm interesting to
produce a sound (any sound) when the terminal is a web browser (in CGI
environment)

A web browser is not an ASCII terminal. You'll need scripts embedded
in HTML, not control characters, to do that.

Sherm Pendley

Joe Smith said:
The phrase "current STDOUT is a web browser" means you want this to
happen while the CGI is executing on the web server. If the web browser
is in France and the web server is in California, making the server's
internal speaker go 'beep' is really not a good idea.

It can be entertaining as all get out though, if the admin is high strung,
on his third pot of coffee for the day, and hasn't noticed that the server
has a speaker plugged in. :)

sherm--

Yohan N. Leder

The phrase "current STDOUT is a web browser" means you want this to
happen while the CGI is executing on the web server. If the web browser
is in France and the web server is in California, making the server's
internal speaker go 'beep' is really not a good idea. There's no one
to hear it, and 100 hits per minute would create an awful noise in
the server room.

:)) Don't worry, I well told about client web browser ! And however,
it's a futur need and different than the current original subject of
this thread which was to produce a beep in "Win's DOS-box terminal" :
solved !